Deadly Courting| Royalty AU

AN: This isn't related to my previous royalty AU, it's a separate imagine but set in the same AU, this time with an enemies to lovers arranged marriage! 

-----------------------------------------------------------

It's a shame I have to ruin these dreadful curtains, but desperate times call for desperate measures, and being forced to marry a prince I have heard nothing but bad things of is a valid reason. 

I finish tying the curtains to my bedsheets, then I throw the makeshift rope out of the window, ready to make my escape. With one last glance around my childhood bedroom, I perch on the window ledge and throw one leg out, suddenly hitting something hard. 

"Shit!" A male voice curses. I pause in confusion and panic, then end up falling backwards onto my ass from the shock. I look up to see a blonde man climbing through my window, not looking at all phased by the fact I just kicked him in the head quite roughly. 

"Who are you? What are you doing here?" I order, scooting backwards and grabbing the dagger I keep sheathed in my dress. The man's eyes widen at me, then his lips curve upwards as he takes in the room, nodding to himself. 

"You're the princess?" 

I frown, nodding as I hold out the shining silver dagger. My eyes flick to the window, wondering if I've still got a chance to runway before the wedding begins. "I'm not going. If you're here to capture me or drag me to the wedding, you're out of luck. I'd sooner stab you and toss you out of the window than willingly walk down the aisle." I say, raising my chin in a royal manner. 

The blonde man's smile grows as he walks over to me, then he crouches down in front of me, tilting his head as if examining me. "Really?" He draws, eyes lingering on me for a beat longer before he stands and holds a hand out. 

I stare at it, still unsure who he is and what he's doing here. 

"I'm not going to hurt you, so stop pointing that thing at me. You can trust my word." He adds. 

"People who say 'trust me' are often the ones who stab you in the back. I'd rather not, I've got a busy day ahead of me." I retort, getting to my feet on my own. The man looks amused at my actions, slightly shaking his head as if this whole thing is funny to him. "So, why are you here?"

"Busy day escaping you mean?" The man asks, turning his back to me as he begins rifling through my things, sniffing my perfumes and flicking through my books, eyebrows shooting to the roof when he sees the contents. 

With a deep blush I storm over to him and snatch the book away, holding it to my chest. "Yes, escaping," I huff, "I'm not marrying a monster." 

"This man must be a terrible person then. What is it he did that makes him so evil? Wear socks inside out? Use the wrong spoon? Kick puppies into the sun?" The man jokes, arching a perfect brow at me as I roll my eyes and toss the book aside. 

"I've heard-" 

"Ah," the man interrupts, "so you've never actually met him?" He asks. I open my mouth to speak but he once again continues, "Princess, surely you aren't making assumptions about him based on what people have told you?" 

A scowl crosses my features as I clench my fists, temper rapidly rising. "Look, as I've said I'm not going-" 

"I know. I've been waiting for you for the last half an hour." The man grins. My eyes widen at the revelation. This man isn't some guard or assassin, but my future husband, Prince Leon. "But do keep going, I'm thoroughly enjoying learning about how sneaky and determined my future queen is." 

I shake my head in anger, then I storm forward with my dagger aimed high, shoving Prince Leon to the bookshelf with my blade pressed against his throat. "Get. Out." I hiss, absolutely fuming. 

Leon just smiles, "Quite hot-headed too." He murmurs, briefly linking his lips as he raises his hands in a surrender. I stay still for a few more moments, then growl and release him, pacing back and fourth as he rubs his neck. 

"So you're here to force me into marrying you? Is that it? I didn't show up so you decided to come haul me yourself?" I shout, feeling like a caged animal. 

Leon's face softens as he shakes his head, gesturing to the window. "You didn't come, so I came to check on you. I was walking past when I saw the rope out of the window. I didn't know what was happening, maybe you'd got stuck in your room or there was a fire...Point is I climbed up to make sure you were okay, and well, you know the rest." 

I blink once. Twice. Confused by the genuine niceness seeping from him. He's nothing like what I've heard, and if all the rumors were true Leon wouldn't have even tried to save me, he'd have left me to die before even putting a ring on my finger. I've got this man all wrong, and now I feel like an idiot. My dagger clatters to the floor as I drop it, then I slump onto the end of the bed, cupping my hands over my face. 

"I've ruined everything." 

"On the contrary, I think you've made my day." Leon lightly says, coming over the peel my hands away from my face. He keeps hold of them, his thumbs brushing them gently as I stare up at him with a new perspective. "I'm glad I'm not marrying some boring sour faced snob. You're by far the most interesting person I've ever met." 

I feel myself smile as I dip my head down, letting out a small groan. "I don't suppose you'll still marry me then? My kingdom deserves security, and I've been selfish, but now..." 

"Consider our kingdoms untied already, I vow to keep you and your people safe as long as you stay by my side as my queen, I cannot rule without a companion." 

I nod, then allow Leon to help me stand. Our bodies touch for too long until he clears his throat and steps away, heading for the window. "What are you doing?" 

"It would be improper for me to be seen leaving you bedroom, so I'll take the window. See you in around fifteen minutes to be married?" 

I nod, hiding a small laugh as he grins and begins his descent. With a straightening of my dress I take a breath and open my door, taking a new path to my future.