Know What I Want

The doorbell rings then shortly after there's a knock. Frowning I get up to answer it, expecting to maybe see a delivery or even a neighbour. What I don't expect to see is Chris Redfield standing there with his arms crossed, his eyes narrowed as he stares down at the doormat. "Hey, mind if I come in?" He asks, straight to the point.

I nod, worry already beginning to build as we head into the kitchen. I begin to make us some coffee as Chris sits at the counter, toying uncomfortably with his hands as if something is on his mind. "Is everything alright? Leon's not hurt or anything is he?" I blurt out, stepping closer to Chris as he shakes his head and finally looks up at me.

"No, nothing like that, but it's a matter of time." Chris begins, "He's been through a lot, both of us have, but Leon's dealt with it since he was just a rookie cop. It's terrible that he hasn't had the chance to live a normal life, but with you he gets some kind of experience."

I nod and smile fondly, even the slightest mention of my boyfriend makes my heart flutter. We've been together for two years now, and though his job as a government agent doesn't make our relationship easy, I wouldn't change a thing. "Yeah, I'm glad when he comes home he can have some peace, we're good together." I reply, bringing over the cups of coffee and taking the seat beside Chris. He murmurs a thanks but I'm still confused as to why he's here, and more importantly why he's talking about my relationship.

I get my answers soon enough. "I think you should break up with him." Chris says out of the blue. My eyes bulge as I stare at him, at first I assume its a joke but his tone and expression seem serious.

"Excuse me?!" I huff, leaning back and crossing my arms. Chris lets out a long sigh and sits back too, the stool creaks as he uncomfortably shuffles.

"Leon's a good guy, he deserves someone like you," Chris nods to himself as I raise a brow, "but it's not fair on him. He's desperately trying to balance his work life with this facade of normality, and one of these days he's gonna have to choose. I know I'm being selfish, but the world needs guys like him and honestly I know he'd choose you any day. That's why you've gotta be the one to do it."

My mouth drops, I let out a scoff and stare at the floor, I'm completely shaken by this sudden intrusion into my relationship, but admittedly Chris has some valid points. I've seen Leon trying to drop his work life at the door, forcing a smile when I know he just wants to be himself. He's been slipping lately, offering more and more to stay with me and reject missions, but I've insisted he go since the world does indeed need Leon S. Kennedy.

"I-" I start, but I'm interrupted by a throat clearing from around the corner. Seconds later Leon comes into view, dropping his duffel bag onto the floor and opening his arms as I jump off my seat and rush to him, flinging myself into his waiting arms. "You weren't supposed to be back yet." I grin, squeezing his waist as he rubs my back. I look up to see his eyes glaring at Chris, narrowed in anger.

Chris stands, raising his chin in defiance. "I'm guessing you heard all that?" He asks nonchalantly. Leon nods, "Yup."

I step back, but Leon keeps an arm around my middle as we face Chris, united as a front. Chris runs a hand over his face, "Leon, you know I'm right."

Leon scoffs, shaking his head. "I don't think so Redfield. I know what I want, and I know what's good for me, and it's definitely not friends who go behind my back and try to ruin the best thing I've got. I'm capable of being an agent and a boyfriend, and yeah one day I might stop being this useful agent everyone insists I am, but it's not like I wanted to do it in the first place."

"You think it's a good idea stretching yourself like this? Risking your job for this? Risking her life for this?" Chris' voice raises, Leon steps forward as if ready for a fight but I pull him back, getting between the two.

"Don't you ever assume she's unsafe. If you know anything about me Redfield then you should know she's probably the safest woman on the planet with me looking out for her." Leon grits out, almost growling as I put a hand on his chest to push him away from Chris.

Chris looks between us, then shakes his head and turns around, pacing as if in thought. In the meantime Leon's shoulders slump, his hand reaches out and gently cups my cheek, his eyes search mine checking to see if I'm okay. I give him a small smile which is rewarded with a small kiss on the forehead.

"I'm just trying to reduce casualties." Chris murmurs as he turns back around. Leon fakes a laugh then points to the door as he deeply replies "Then you better leave." I gasp at the obvious threat, but I know deep down Leon won't really hurt him.

Chris nods one last time before thanking me for the coffee and leaving. Once he's gone Leon runs a hand through his hair, sighing deeply. "He just meant well, in his own way. He's worried about you, and the rest of the world." I say to smooth things over.

Leon shrugs, "He's not my babysitter, and the weight of the world shouldn't rest on one person's shoulders, he should know we all share the burden."

I nod, and reach up to kiss him as he pulls me in for a hug. We stay stuck together for a few minutes, embracing and silently acknowledging that we're still on the same team. "Would you have done it?" Leon softly asks.

I bite my lip, then shake my head. "I've got faith in you Leon, I know you can be an agent and still dip into this world between us, it just takes strength and trust, and we've got that in plenty."

Leon smiles, tucking my hair behind my ear. "I'll always keep you safe, never doubt that. Chris might think having you is pulling me apart, but if anything you're the one keeping me together. This relationship is my reason for fighting, knowing you'll be waiting for me at the end of the day is what inspires me to keep going out and dealing with the bad guys."