Mentor Meet Matchmaker PT 1

"I'm assigning you to the newest recruit. He's well behind but I know you're more than capable of catching him up and teaching him the skills he needs to work for us."

My boss' words repeat like a broken record in my head like they have for the last few weeks. I was in the middle of a mission when I got the request, so I quickly wrapped the mission up and headed straight back to the one place I vowed to never see again.

A lonely base in the middle of the woods, where nobody would ever suspect a secret facility lies where spies and agents for the government are made. Where were taught to abandon our last lives and focus on service and protection from any and all threats, and where asking questions leads to being punished.

I got a lot of those.

I shudder at the memories, standing stick straight in the cafeteria waiting for my new project to arrive. It doesn't take long, only minutes of waiting lead to a younger blonde man being led by one of my fellow agents. The young man looks genuinely like a fish out of water, he'd be better suited on the front page of some magazine rather than in the midst of a battlefield.

"Are you Leon S. Kennedy?" I ask, looking him up and down. The dark green tee and matching cargos look baggy on him, I arch a brow, wondering if this is some kind of test for me rather than for Leon.

Leon nods. "I am."

Oddly enough, he seems confident. In a way that makes me wonder what he's been through to make it here so suddenly, and what encourages him to be so fine about all this. Even the newer recruits who sign up for this are usually shitting themselves at this point.

"Well good, I'm Y/N, I'll be your mentor and teacher through all this. I warn you, it won't be easy." I say, walking towards him as the other agent leaves the room. Once we're alone Leon gives me a small smile, shrugging up a shoulder.

"I'm sure it'll be hard work, but with great company anything is tolerable." He replies.

I blink once. Twice. Damn okay, an optimist. Shame that'll die here.

I hold out my hand for him to shake it. "Noted. But just a reminder that I'm here to teach you, not hold your hand and be your friend." I sharply say. I figure it's better to be cold than it is to actually get along with him and get too attached...

Three months later

I can't sleep again. As usual I'm plagued with the anxieties that come with the job, though I'm still beginning to be thankful for the vacation away from missions. The rookie has made the days easier, and I hate to admit he's shaping up to be a good agent, and even a good friend.

At first our lessons were strictly professional, but the man kept asking questions and giving me those cerulean puppy dog eyes which I couldn't resist. After learning that being a bitch only made him seek me out more often for him to 'cheer me up' I began to open up to him and actually talk to him. It's become kinda therapeutic. I think it helps him deal with being here too, and I can understand that.

I stand from my bed, stretching before lacing up my boots over my pyjamas, then I head for the cafeteria for something to drink. I expect emptiness, but what I find is so much worse.

Leon sits there with his back too me, nursing a cup of water. Silently I get my own, then debate going back to my room. I turn for the door until Leon calls out "I know you're there, you might as well come over here."

I purse my lips together, then go to sit beside him on the bench. "Shouldn't you be asleep?" I ask, sipping my water whilst stealing glances at the man. His body is beginning to change, the muscles growing and the jawline sharpening. He's getting a hell of a lot more attractive, which is making it harder to not be falling for him.

"Shouldn't you?" Leon deflects, giving me a small smile hiding everything he doesn't want to say. I don't pry, so I just shrug and mumble a "Touché."

We sit in a comfortable silence for a few minutes, with me sipping my water to drown the racing thoughts. Leon's head keeps dipping down, his blonde hair falling over his eyes. I get the urge to brush it away, gently running my fingers through it, but instead I think rationally and grip my cup tighter.

"Is it nightmares?" I ask, not wanting to dig too deep, but I'm curious and need to know. I don't know why, I just do.

He nods. "Before this I was a cop, well for a day. I worked in Raccoon City, there was this incident...I can't tell you much but I can say it was terrifying. I never want to feel like that again."

I frown, hating the idea of Leon being scared of anything. I respect his vulnerability, so I decide to open up too. "I don't have nightmares, but I do get scared. It's more nervous really."

Leon turns to me, there's no judgment in his face despite the pressure for me to be perfect. I'm an agent, I should be strong and capable. "About what?" He softly asks.

I let out a small laugh, shrugging as I feel more at ease. "I don't even know, sometimes I just feel like something bad is going to happen, or that I'm forgetting something, or even that I'm not good enough. It's stupid really." I huff, tucking my hair behind my ear. Leon reaches out all of a sudden, whole hand wrapping around my wrist.

"It's not stupid, it's okay to not be invincible," he smiles and suddenly all is right in the universe. My heart leaps, then he makes it worse by adding a cheesy joke that makes me smile, "besides, that wasn't in the job description."

My laugh echoes around the room, earning a small chuckle from Leon. He releases my wrist, then nervously reaches up and cups my cheek instead. My breath catches at the gesture, it's been a long time since someone touched me with tenderness and not a fist. "If we weren't where we are, would I have a shot with you?" He mumbles.

My eyes widen, but I find myself nodding nonetheless. "Yeah." It's forbidden territory, but I feel like leaping headfirst into it.

His lips quirk as he nods to himself as if confirming a theory, then when his eyes meet mine again they seem closer than before. "And what if I asked if I have a shot where we are now?"

The scent of his musky cologne fills my nose, I let out a shaky breath as I lick my lips. "Leon, you know we can't-" I whisper, but he interrupts me by placing a finger on my lips. I swallow, pulse racing like a drum.

"Please, I need this." He murmurs. I give in, leaning forward and pressing my lips to his in answer. He stills at first, then immediately begins kissing me back with passion and yearning. I end up on his lap, knees either side of his legs with one of his hands tangled in my hair and the other under my tee, his hand caressing my back. I gasp into the kiss, my own fingers finally cup his face as I smooth my thumb over his cheekbones, memorising every edge as his lips conquer mine.

We pull away after a while, breathless and bruised lips. I lean my forehead against his, eyes somehow conveying the words on the tip of my tongue. We understand each other, and that's a rare thing to come across.

"I swear I'll be the man you want me to be," he promises, squeezing my hips as I smile ruefully, little does he know he's already who I want him to be. Kind. Honest. Loyal.

"Just keep being you Leon, don't let them take that away from you." I whisper. The moment is too heavy, so I add "but maybe start actually trying to hit me when we spar, I know you hold back."

Leon laughs, then holds up a pinky that I join mine with. We kiss a few more times until we both hear a noise. I scramble off of his lap, straightening out my clothes and taking a few steps back, eyes darting around. I don't see anybody, so my body relaxes.

"I've got to go." I mumble, walking backwards with an empty head and a coldness I didn't have before. It's the lack of Leon I realise now, he warmed something inside of me and now I'm freezing again.

Leon nods, standing and grabbing my hand to quickly press a kiss to it. I snort at the act. "Sleep well sweetheart." He softly mumbles.

I go back to my room, in love and absolutely fucked.