After Hours

"Leaving so soon? Don't you fancy spending your Friday night with some paperwork?" Marvin jokes as I grab my jacket and bag, the office is almost empty since most officers are out on duty rather than stuck here at their desks.

I pretend to think about it then shake my head, passing Leon's desk as he smiles up at me. "Why not? Isn't our company good enough, or maybe you've got a hot date?" Another younger officer teases, I actually bite my lip to hold back my grin as I walk to the door.

"Oooh!" Most, other than Leon, cheer, grinning and teasing as I blush and playfully flip them off.

"Just be careful, you never know what kind of creep might be lurking underneath." Leon says more seriously than everyone else, I nod as I pluck my keys out of my bag.

"So, where's he taking you? Fancy dinner or just cosying up at his place?" Marvin asks. I roll my eyes.

"My place, but we're just having pizza and watching a movie." I quickly say before anyone can comment. I look over to Leon's desk which sits next to mine, I notice he looks a little uneasy about the conversation, his lips thin as he stares down at the paperwork.

I dismiss that train of thought and say my quick goodbyes before rushing home and preparing myself ready for my date to come over. An hour later I'm sat on the sofa with the handsome man, Clark, talking about his work and his negative opinion about the movie we're watching, which happens to me MY personal favourite. However I force a smile despite the harsh feelings, but still the whole conversation isn't hitting it off.

"And so I said to her, if you want to get a man you've gotta make yourself look better than that cheap outfit and clown lipstick. She just started crying, so I doubt anyone in the office is asking her out anytime soon." Clark shrugs, I stare at him, resting the urge to throw him out. Barely.

I've just been so desperate for a date for so long, and this is the first man who's asked me out since I arrived in Raccoon City, I guess I feel obliged to see it through.

A knock on my apartment door interrupts his next speech about some sexist view, so I stand and head to answer it, but to my surprise Clark rushes past and opens it for me, quickly throwing a comment over his shoulder about "Could be dangerous, I better take a look."

I stare open mouthed until I see Leon standing there looking between us both, he's dressed casual in blue jeans and a simple tee, but my heart still flutters for some reason. "Who the hell are you?" Clark asks, looking Leon up and down.

Leon frowns, turning his gaze to me as he completely blanks Clark. "You left this at the station." Leon smiles, holding out a paperback novel I was reading on my break.

I reach forward to take but but yet again Clark snatches it up first and snorts at the cover. "Nice try dude, but she'd never be into this."

I turn on Clark, grabbing my book from him. "Actually, I am, and you'd know that if you bothered listening to me an hour ago when I insisted my bookshelf isn't just to appear smart." I take a breath, "Can you just give me a minute."

Clark narrows his eyes but nods when he sees I'm annoyed, and I finally turn back to Leon who looks shocked. "This is the guy you're in to?"

I shuffle my feet, feeling like a kid being scolded. "Yeah, well...yeah."

Leom raises a brow, "He's an asshole, is that your taste or was he the first option?"

I inhale sharply at the condescending tone, for some reason I find myself getting defensive even though Leon's absolutely right. "Maybe you're just jealous." I snap, Leon looks surprised at my reaction for a second before a cool mask slips over, and he steps back.

"Enjoy your date." He mumbles before walking away.

I close the door feeling like I've made a massive mistake, but when I feel Clarks hands grab my waist I take control. "This isn't working, I'm sorry, can you leave?"

Clarks' eyes widen then he grabs his coat and slams the door on his way out, mumbling profanities at me as he leaves. I slump on the sofa, wondering how my night went from bad to worse, then ten minutes later the door knocks again.

I groan and stand up, answering it to see Leon standing there, his eyes flick behind me as if searching for Clark. "He's gone, he was a lousy date and an asshat." I mumble.

Leon's shoulders deflate a bit, "I'm sorry about what I said, kind of, I just...you deserve better." I smile and gesture for Leon to come in, and he does. "There's still pizza left over if you want some."

"Cheese? What are you watching?" Leon softly says taking a seat next to me.

"The Crow, my absolute favourite movie." I reply, hoping he doesn't slate it like Clark did, instead Leon grins and nods.

"Good choice."

We end up watching the movie and eating the pizza together, until I finally ask him the question that's been on the tip of my tongue. "Why did you come here? I mean, the book wasn't a big deal..."

Leon looks a little taken aback, but then he runs a hand over the back of his neck as he lets out a breath. "I know, I guess I just wanted to come see you, just to check in and see if your date was treating you okay."

I'm not ad annoyed as I feel like I should've been. "That's...thank you for thinking of me, and honestly I'm glad you did, Clark was..."

"A dick?"

"A little bitch?" I retort, earning a chuckle from Leon.

A few hours later Leon stretches and stands, "I should probably go, I didn't mean to stay for so long."

I wave it off, walking him to the door as I yawn, "It's fine, it's been fun, honestly you've been a better date than the other guy."

Leon smirks at me, "Ooh, so that's what this was?" He teases, I roll my eyes but can't stop the small blush that covers my cheeks. He reaches for the door but then turns around and gently cups my cheek, then leans in close enough to kiss me.

"Is this okay?" He whispers, I nod so he closes the distance between us, kissing me with care as his thumb strokes my cheekbone.

Eventually we pull away, both breathless. "Okay, see you Monday!" I happily say, shoving him into the hallway as he laughs. Once gone I slump against the door, fist bumping the air and doing a happy dance.