Sewer Shocks- PT 1

Ada trails behind Leon and I as we walk through the sewers, every so often I wince seeing something I wish my memory could immediately erase, however Leon seems fine and continues walking.

We turn left up some stairs and finally on solid concrete for a second, until a massive earthquake rocks the sewer, I pitch sideways but already Leon wraps an arm around my shoulders as his other hand grabs the wall to steady himself, behind us Ada grabs a railing, narrowing her eyes ahead in suspicion.

"What the hell?" Leon curses when it passes, I nod a thanks to him and pull away quickly.

"It's not too late to turn back." Ada smoothly says as if daring us. I shake my head, turning to face her.

"We're not giving up so easily." I reply, Ada isn't looking at me though, her eyes are focused on Leon, come to think if it I think her earlier statement was more directed at him, she doesn't give a shit about me.

"Come on, let's keep moving." Leon calls out, walking forwards until we hit a dead end. I look down, seeing water deep enough for us to jump. I stand side by side with Leon, not keen on the idea of literally jumping into the unknown, but before I can question him Leon jumps.

I gasp, staring down until he stands and turns to face me. "It's alright, you can come down, I've got you!"

I look back at Ada, not trusting her a bit, but still I take a breath and leap. For a second there's nothing then finally I hit the water, it's not as deep as anticipated but thankfully I don't break any bones. Straight away Leon is hauling me up, his hands rest on my shoulders as his eyes scan me, "Didn't hurt yourself, did you?" He softly asks, I shake my head, caught in his gaze.

All of a sudden there's a massive rumble, my first thought is another earthquake, until a massive crocodile rises from the depths. My eyes widen in fear, I'm frozen to the spot until Leon grabs my arm, tugging me through the water and around the rubbish as the crocodile closes on our heels, snapping and launching itself at us.

I begin to slow, my legs tiring and Leon notices. "Keep running!" He shouts, I look ahead to see a sudden fall and hesitate, but before I can think Leon tackles me and wraps his arms around me as we slide down and hit the floor with a thud. Leon takes the impact but I don't have time to check. The mutant crocodile follows us, but its jaws snag on a gas pipe, it roars and keeps chomping, seconds later flames erupt from the pipe.

"Shit, get down!" Leon shouts, rolling us over so he's on top as he raises his gun and shoots at the pipe. An explosion hits and Leon throws himself onto me, taking the brunt of the debris and keeping me protected with his body as I take heavy breaths.

"Chew on that...you overgrown son of a bitch." Leon mutters, I can't help but to look up at him and laugh as he stares down at me, smiling from ear to ear seconds later.

"Are you okay? You didn't have to put yourself at risk like that." I softly say as Leon sits back, finally able to relax a little for a second.

"It's alright, it's my job to keep you safe " He shrugs, his eyes avert to the floor when he adds "and besides, I kind of like you alive."

I huff a laugh and grab his hand, his eyes look up into mine again. "I like you alive too." We both seem to be caught in a moment, because ever so slowly our faces move closer and closer, our lips only inches apart-

"Hey, up here!" I hear Ada call out, ruining the moment. I frown but stand up, holding out a hand for Leon which he takes. We head to the convenient ladder and climb, Leon helps me up at the last ring but I notice Ada watching us with disdain, so I step away from him.

"We should hurry." She orders, taking the lead as Leon gives me one last smile and follows her. I sigh, then walk.