Monsters and Masks

It's the perfect Halloween night; Leon's shift at the RPD ended earlier than usual, the pumpkins are carved and lit, and it's absolutely pouring outside. I'm currently sat on the sofa, bowl of popcorn and candy in my lap as I lean against Leon, his arm around my shoulders comfortably as we watch Creature From The Black Lagoon, a movie from 1954. Every so often he'll reach into the bowl and shove some popcorn into his mouth without peeling his eyes away from the screen, he's completely immersed in the movie.

As for me, I'm more concerned about my heart rate. The movie isn't exactly scary, but the setting and cheap effects make it just eerie...but I'm not confessing that to Leon any time soon. I just nuzzle closer to him, secretly glacing down when the monster jumps out. I've shuffled down a bit so the fluffy blanket covering me is now up to my neck, as if protecting me from the fear.

I briefly hear Leon chuckle as I flinch at a scarier part, I narrow my eyes and look up at him, noticing how he's now watching me and not the movie. "You okay?" He softly asks, half teasing and half genuine concern. I nod, forcing a smile and averting my eyes to the screen as if to prove a point.

He just hums in response and is silent for a few more minutes, until he begins to stand and sets my bowl on the coffee table. "I'll be back in a sec, you can keep watching it." He murmurs, giving me a quick kiss on the head. I don't think anything of it, and keep concentrating on the movie.

Leon's POV:

I kind of feel bad, but at the same time seeing the creepy monster mask in the store earlier was too much of a temptation, and knowing we already had this movie night planned, I couldn't pass it up. I look behind my shoulder one last time at Y/N, gently smiling as I watch her snuggle deeper into her blanket, looking as beautiful as ever. Before I talk myself out of it I head to the bedroom and grab the green mask, slipping it on as I pad back to the living room.

I left the TV remote on the side earlier since this was all planned, so I quickly snatch it and turn the TV off, and now the living room and whole house is pitch black. "Leon?" I hear her call out nervously, then again "Leon! Turn the TV back on, if I have to get up I can guarantee I'll trip over something!" She more desperately calls out. For a second I debate giving up the trick, but then I know that's what she wants, and I just want to scare her since she's been talking about Halloween for the entire month. I wanna make it good for her.

Y/N turns on her phone torch and begins searching around, hesitantly stepping forwards and coming closer to me, so with light feet I begin to edge around the room, coming up behind her, then just as I'm close enough to hear her heavy breathing, I grab her shoulders and make a scary sound. She yelps, spinning around and shoving me against the wall with more force than I expect from her, but instead of grunting I'm too busy laughing at her reaction.

"Leon!" She angrily says, but it's half hearted. She crosses her arms as I use the remote to turn the TV back on, pausing the movie as the living room is once again bathed in light. "That wasn't funny." She adds, pouting as she slumps back on the sofa. I slip off the mask, grinning until I see she's shaking from adrenaline, so I throw it aside and sit beside her again, wrapping an arm around her, but she shrugs me off.

"Aww come on, don't be like that." I murmur, going in for a kiss on the cheek, she accepts so I move in for the ticket of forgiveness, kissing her neck as her shoulders slump and she relaxes. Yeah, I'm forgiven.

Y/N POV:

I'm so mad at Leon, but admittedly I enjoyed the scare. But I'm not saying that out loud, so I settle for letting Leon hug me as we continue watching the movie, this time Leon hugs me as I lie on him, the blanket draped over me again as I relax and enjoy the rest of the film whilst listening to Leon's heartbeat. "I'm sorry I scared you." Leon whispers after a little while.

I huff, but reply "It's okay, I'll get you back." To this Leon snorts so I whack him. When bedtime comes I get ready first, and after I grab the monster mask and place it on the bathroom mirror with some sellotape, so when Leon goes to brush his teeth he's gonna have a shock. I slip into bed, shivering a little but excited for Leon's scare, when Leon announces he's going to brush his teeth. I nod and hide my smile behind the covers, just waiting and waiting...

"Jesus Christ!" Leon practically shrieks, then a few seconds later he walks out of the bathroom clutching the mask with an unimpressed look. I smirk, shrugging as he throws it at me then laughs.

By the time Leon comes to bed Halloween is over for another year, but to say it was boring would be a lie.