Stalemate

Somebody is watching me.
I just know it from the way my hairs stand on end.
The prickling feeling I'm not alone.
The fear, mixed with curiosity.

I stand in my living room, staring out through the floor to ceiling windows of my luxury house, thanks to the income Umbrella used to provide me, I'm living my literal dream; medium sized house practically in the middle of nowhere, forests surround me and the nearest town is a twenty minute drive.

Still, it's times like these when I wished my decisions were better planned out. Hell, I never thought I'd have to constantly watch my back in case anybody would want to come after me. Sure I worked for Umbrella and did some questionable things, but I got out whilst I could, however that doesn't really mean I truly got out.

I take a breath without making it too obvious that I'm panicking, I put on a false bravado, then turn around, casually walking around my house from room to room, checking the doors and windows whilst dallying around, fiddling with things as if I'm just...observing?

Yeah, I might as well just wave a giant flag screaming 'I know you're there, come get me'.

Once I'm assured everything is locked, I hastily walk back downstairs, but come to a complete standstill when I see the front door slightly ajar. Fuck. My breath quickens, my eyes dart around when suddenly the lights turn off. I gasp, spinning around to stare into the wide open space of the front hall.

Nothing.

Fuck this. I push bravado aside and sprint down the hall to the kitchen, but halfway there the closet door opens and I crash right into a man stepping out of it. We both fall, him onto his back and me on top of him, his arms wrap around me as I yelp and try to push myself up, but then I hear that familiar voice.

"Got you."

I stop fighting, and look up into blue. Leon.

"What the fuck? You scared the shit out of me you asshole!" I snap, slumping against him as he sits up with me between his legs, he squeezes me close to him as I try to calm my heart rate down, the last thing I need right now is a heart malfunction.

"You did it all wrong, I thought I taught you to get a weapon first?" Leon murmurs, standing up and pulling me with him. I look up, crossing my arms as I take a few steps back, sheepishly I look around, feeling like I'm being scolded, though to be fair he's right, not long after my escape from Umbrella Leon was sent to keep an eye on me, teach me how to defend myself as long as I provided some useful information for the government.

What a waste of time that was.

"I...I can't help my reactions, fight or flight and all that." I huff, walking to the front door and closing it, I lock it too for good measure, but then a thought occurs to me. "Wait, why are you here?"

I turn around, and Leon's usual calm and nice manner changes, his lips purse together as he tenses up. "I...work." He finally sighs, he shifts from foot to foot, unable to look at me. Something is wrong, and Leon knows I know. I sneakily move towards the kitchen, but Leon blocks my way, finally looking at me. "I was sent here to kill you."

My heart drops.

At first Leon and I were like fire and ice, we were opposites and always tried to outdo the other, until we began to understand each other, our forced times together no longer felt like chores, and we enjoyed each others company, so much so that Leon started coming over out of work hours, just to watch movies or have dinners with me. We became friends, then we became more.

"Why?" I whisper, feeling a mixture of betrayal and fear. I know Leon could easily kill me if he wanted to, I've seen him fight, but...why hasn't he yet?