Haunted By History

"Almost ready to go?" Leon asks, leaning down to kiss my cheek as I nod and grab my jacket. Leon goes to put on his shoes but I pause and look down at my phone, seeing a new text from an unknown number.

'Please come back to me, I miss you.'

I frown, a wave of worry washing over me since I know exactly who this is from. My ex. I delete it and shove my phone into my pocket, forcing a smile onto my face as Leon holds the door for me, watching me curiously as if sensing my shift in mood. "All good?" He softly asks.

"Yeah, let's go get spooked." I smile. Leon and I head to our local Halloween fair, where numerous haunted houses and other Halloween themed events are happening, I've been excited since we first went last year. At first all seems normal and I almost forget about the ominous text. Leon and I play a few basic fair games before having some food and then going in a fun mirror maze. The air soon begins to chill as the night grows on, and of course Leon left his jacket in the car.

"Shit it's getting cold." Leon mumbles, standing behind me with his arms around me as we wait in line for the next attraction, there's still plenty of people before us, so I suggest he runs to the car to grab his coat. "Are you sure? I can hold out." He double checks, in answer I push him back and smile, earning a nod from Leon.

The line moves slowly, and I wait on my own, eyes darting around in the dim lighting, watching the numerous scare actors walking around, because I'm on my own it all feels much more scarier. "I knew you'd be here, you've always been a girl who loves a good scare." I hear a familiar voice say, approaching from the shadows.

I turn, seeing Zeke, my ex, come and stand beside me. Nobody batters an eyelash since they saw me with a guy before, they must all assume Zeke is Leon. I swallow back my fear, "I told you to leave me alone, and I thought ignoring your text would have been another hint." I weakly say, stepping away from him as he leans towards me.

He huffs a laugh and shakes his head, "Baby, you don't really want that. Come on, let's get back together, I miss you so much."

I shake my head, the line now rapidly moving forward. I pray Leon hurries up so I don't have to do this on my own, we've already paid so I'm not calling it quits now. I look around searching for my protector, but I can't see him. "No. I'm with someone now, and I love him. Now please leave me alone." I wobbly say, on the verge of tears. I wish it wasn't like this, but our relationship wasn't the best and it took me way too long to see it, and by the time I did the damage was already done.

"Well where is he?" Zeke demands, the line now down to me and him. I glance around worriedly, trying to get someone's attention or hope that Leon is going to save me, but nothing happens, and before I know it the door to the haunted house opens and Zeke and I are ushered through. It's dark and eerie music plays, the only way out is to face the scares and make it to the exit, all whilst dealing with my crazy ex.

"It's dark, no one can see us, let's make up." He murmurs, backing me up against the wall. Somebody screams in the distance, and my heart pounds so harshly I'm sure it'll burst out of my chest. His hand caresses my cheek, just before his lips meet mine I use my strength to shove him back and run into the maze, sprinting past clowns that jump out and dolls that giggle menacingly. At the same time the real scary monster is chasing me, calling out as tears fall down my face.

I almost trip as I make a sharp turn, running into some trippy dining room, then finally I see the exit. I run to it, practically sobbing at this point as Zeke begins to catch up. I burst through the doors, right into the arms of Leon. At first I don't recognise him, so I scream and push away, but when Leon begins to soothe and rub my back, I cry and bury my face into his chest, savouring the way he tightly holds onto me.

"Get away from my girl!" Zeke shouts, stomping out of the doors and into the grassy area where it's dark and few people. I cling to Leon, looking up at him to try and convey my fear and desperation to him. Thankfully Leon understands and knows what's going on right away, especially since he knows my history with my toxic ex and vowed to protect me if anything happened.

Leon gently pushes me behind him, blocking Zeke's sight of me as he arches a brow. "She's not yours, she's mine, so I suggest you turn around and keep walking. In fact, you really should fucking run because the love of my life is crying because of you right now, and nobody makes my woman upset." Leon growls, tensing up as if ready for a fight.

Zeke falters, common sense telling him he won't win this fight. "I-" He begins, but then the fair's security shows up and grabs hold of Zeke.

"I'm a government agent, part of the DSO, this man needs arresting. Now." Leon orders, and from the seriousness of his tone the security guards drag a sulky Zeke away without further need for explanation.

As soon as he's gone my shoulders slump, Leon immediately turns and draws me into a hug, shushing me and apologising for taking too long. I reassure him it's okay, but he still looks guilty. "Seriously, none of us knew he'd be here, it's not your fault for disappearing for literally a few minutes Leon." I smile, but it falters.

Leon nods, brushing the stray tears away with his thumbs. "I'll make sure he doesn't come near us again, I'll protect you from anything, you know that right? I'm so sorry I wasn't there." He softly says, wrapping an arm around my shoulders as he leads me back to the main fair area. I nod, leaning into his warmth and admiring how he looks in his brown jacket.

"I know and it's okay, let's just enjoy the rest of our evening, I'm not letting that asshole ruin my most anticipated event." I say, earning a kiss on the head from Leon.