Just A Kid, Huh?

"Good job, now grab that ladder and pull it down for us."

"You're younger than I am, of course you're more knowledge about stuff like that."

"Is that what they're teaching kids these days?"

Ever since Leon and I found Ashley and began our escape out of this hellish place, his words have been a thorn I can't seem to walk off. I love him, and he loves me, we hardly ever argue or get annoyed with each other, but I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't just because we're so compatible.

Is it an age thing?

The way Leon talks to Ashley makes it seem like she's a child, but she's only a few years, give or take, younger than me. At first I found his praising and joking amusing, something lighthearted to keep us all sane during this Spanish apocalypse, but now after hours of hearing it, I'm beginning to find myself getting uncomfortable as my own thoughts drag me into the pit of doubt. Does Leon see me as a kid too? Someone younger and therefore less capable?

We enter deeper into the castle, coming into some kind of chamber with a staircase leading up to some statue with three missing heads. I sigh as I look up, hating how a simple rescue mission has now turned into a giant escape room.

"Ooh, can I go look around for a bit? It's not like I can explore castles back home." Ashley asks, it seems like we're safe for now, and I'm secretly thankful for her mention of a break.

Leon's lips purse, but as he glances at me he finally notices my mood, so giving her a simple nod and "Don't go too far, and don't hurt yourself." He allows her to explore. In the meantime I'm observing some of the artwork on the walls, hoping that by avoiding Leon I can keep my thoughts to myself. Unluckily, Leon knows me too well.

"What's wrong? Are you hurt?" He asks, gently placing a hand on my shoulder. I shake my head, mumbling a "I'm fine" as I shrug his hand off and begin walking down the corridor. Leon stays behind, staring at me for a few beats before jogging to catch up.

"Uh, you don't really seem fine. Has something upset you? Need me to go back and beat up more of those creepy-" Leon rambles, looking genuinely confused as he rubs at the back of his neck.

"I said I'm fine. Just go check on Ashley." I interrupt, sounding meaner than intended. For a second I suddenly feel guilty, then I half expect him to do as I say, but at the sight of Ashley grinning at some art above us on the second floor, Leon stays put.

"You're not jealous, are you?" Leon tries, brows knitting together as he tries his damn hardest to figure out what's wrong with me. I sigh, then decide to give him what he wants.

"Of course not!" I truthfully exclaim, "But I'm just a kid right, that's why you're always so nice with me, that's why we always get along and our relationship is so smooth."

Leon looks taken aback, eyes blinking dumbly at me for a few seconds as he processes my words. His lips open then close, then he widens his arms as he begins talking, his hands moving to his words. "You're not just a kid, you're twenty two years old, and I'm nice to you because I care about you, our relationship works because we work. Is this what's been bothering you?" He adds, stepping forward and cupping my cheek.

I nod, slumping down in a nearby plush red chair. Leon looks up at Ashley, who's now admiring the ceiling and sculptures, then he knees in front of me, taking my hands in his as he gives me the classic Kennedy soft smile. "Hey," he murmurs, my eyes meet his sky blue ones, "talk to me. You're still acting off."

I bite my lip, now realising my earlier thoughts were stupid. "Do you see me as some young girl who needs coddling?"

Leon frowns, "No." He then adds in a softer tone, "The way you fought earlier was impressive, you're more capable than you give yourself credit for. Yeah, you're a little younger than me, but that doesn't mean I see you as anything other than that. You're so many amazing things," his hand reaches out and brushes my cheek with his thumb, making me smile. "I guess I just have a habit of taking anyone younger than me under my wing, that need to keep everyone- especially you- safe."

"That's so adorable." I admit, internally melting at his mother hen instincts. It earns me a slightly embarrassed chuckle from Leon. He stands up, pulling me to his chest with him, then snakes an arm around my back before pressing his lips to mine. It begins as slow and sweet, but then I wrap my arms around his neck, closing the distance between our bodies, and it soon becomes passionate.

Leon groans, hand squeezing my ass as he backs me to the wall, I hook a leg around him as a whimper escapes me, but then Ashley's footsteps break us apart. We look to see her striding towards us, looking away purposely as a small blush covers her cheeks.

Leon turns back to me, pecking me one last time. "See, you're definitely all grown up, aren't you?" He teases, then leans in to whisper "I'll remind you when we get back."

My breath catches but Leon's already heading over to meet Ashley, discussing the statue puzzle and the rooms she's discovered. Damn Leon and him leaving me with very grown up thoughts.