Graduation

AN: It's my university graduation this week so I'm writing this for a bit of self-indulgence🙈
But as always, take this imagine however you'd like since it's not overly specific♡
------------------------------------------------------------

I smooth down my outfit for the millionth time, making sure I look okay. Honestly it's my nerves that's making me like this, in a room absolutely brimming with people is not my idea of fun, yet this graduation is one of the things I've been most excited for since beginning my studies, and I'll be dammed if I'm missing it.

I look into the crowd of people as I follow the other students as we take our seats, I see a lot of families and people together, but no sign of my boyfriend. I sigh, once again wiping down my palms as I sit and take some deep breaths. Another glance over my shoulder and I catch eyes with my family, sitting together and smiling excitedly. I do a small wave, but my smile falters when my eyes catch on that empty seat at the end of the row.

I swallow back my feelings. Today is about my accomplishment and hard work, I'm supposed to be happy for me, so that's what I decide to do. The room eventually calms down and once everyone is seated some speeches are made. I half listen, but my focus still remains on the crowd behind me, or more specifically at the man who should be here. He said he'd be here, hell he even pinky promised that he wouldn't miss it for the world, but doubt begins to set it my mind.

Soon enough the names are being called, and rows in front of me soon empty as students walk on stage and shake hands with the higher ups, collecting their certificates then disappearing behind the curtains. My heart beats faster as students from my row begin to move, I stand and smile, adjusting my gown and cap just as my own name is called.

Here it is, the exact moment I've always dreamed about as a little kid. I head onto the stage, looking out at the crowd one last time, and I finally see my man. Leon sits beside my family, grinning from ear to ear with admiration in his eyes. My family look just as proud, and for a few seconds I feel like crying tears of joy. I shake hands with the university president and collect my certificate, then walk off stage, the big moment now over.

After a few more speeches and photos, I'm free to go. Outside of the building families cheer and laugh, couples hug and kiss, and children run and laugh. I beeline around the crowds until I see Leon standing near my family, our eyes meet and I immediately break into a run, jumping up as he catches me in his arms. I hug him tightly as he spins me around, chuckling as I wrap my legs around him too.

"I'm so sorry I was late." He mumbles in my hair, setting me down on my feet and straightening out my dress for me. I wave it off, shaking my head as I smile at my family.

"It's okay, you made it like you said you would, and that's all that matters." I reply, then I turn to my family and hug them, thanking them for coming and being with me. After a few minutes we all decide to go have a meal to celebrate, so we walk to the nearest restaurant which isn't too far away.

Just before we head inside Leon gently pulls me back and pulls something out of his pocket. A small box. My eyes widen as I take it and open it to reveal a necklace. "It's a graduation gift...I was gonna get you a ring but I thought today is about your accomplishment and I didn't want to take the spotlight from it."

My jaw drops, but Leon laughs and takes the necklace from me, carefully putting it on me before pressing a kiss to my cheek. "I'm so fucking proud of you. You worked so hard and I knew you could do it, I'm so lucky to have you." He murmurs, cupping my cheek as tears spring to my eyes. I wipe them away, grinning as I reach onto my toes and kiss him.

We then go inside, sitting at the table and talking with my family. Leon's fingers link with mine throughout the meal, his eyes always find mine. We eat and drink, laugh and cheer, it's a wonderful day and even more wonderful evening as when I get home I find Leon's set up our bedroom with balloons and rose petals.

I arch a brow at him, a little dizzy from the alcohol. "What's all this?" I ask.

Leon smirks, prowling closer to me as his hands rub my arms. "I told you, I'm lucky to have you, and I want to show you how much you mean to me, my smart, beautiful girl."