Christmas Decorating

Leon had only been working at the Raccoon Police Department for four months, but the amount of Christmas decorations we'd bought recently would beg to differ. There were so many, and I'd hate to actually think about how much we've spent on Christmas this year. Then again, this is our first Christmas in our own apartment together so Leon had insisted on going all out and we'd spent our evenings perusing the various shops in the city searching for the oddest yet classic decorations.

A Christmas album plays in the background as snow steadily falls from the sky in light flurries, the fast approaching sunset basks Raccoon City in a soft hazy glow, making the atmosphere of today so much more festive. It's December 1st, and after a few arguments we'd agreed today was decoration day. Besides, Leon had a day off today so it seemed like the perfect time.

"Y/N," Leon shouts from across the living room, stirring me out of my thoughts, "could you grab this?" He asks, a box stacked on top of two others begins to slip, so I quickly rush to him and grab it before it falls, laughing under my breath at his failed attempt of independence.

We set the boxes down, then I kneel on the floor rummaging in one of the boxes searching for the parts of the artificial Christmas tree. We'd opted for a fake one since we hadn't been able to find time to search for a real tree, not between decoration shopping and our new jobs. "I think this is the uh...middle?" I laugh, holding up one part of the tree that looks near identical to the other four parts.

"It could be?" Leon chuckles tilting his head as if it'll do any good, both of us unsure. After half an hour of putting the tree up (Leon did most of it since I began to put it up upside down) I begin sorting the ornaments into piles, ready to color coordinate and make it photo worthy for future memories.

In the meantime, Leon's grabbed a piece of mistletoe and holds it above our heads, so when I stand and turn, Leon give me a cheesy smile and shrugs up a shoulder. "I didn't make the rules." He grins, leaning down to press his lips to mine. I smile into the kiss, lost in his lips for a few seconds until I pull away and begin decorating the tree with reds, golds and greens. Leon just watches, occasionally helping out but leaving it to me mostly. I then wrap some warm white lights around it and plug it in, immediately being met with the brightness and finished product.

"Looks good," Leon softly says, resting his chin on my shoulder from behind and holding my waist, "but I think you're forgetting something." I frown, until he nods at the star still sat on the floor. I pull away from him and grab it, then reach on my toes to put it on top of the tree, but I'm too short. I try and try, but nope, if I keep going I'm gonna end up falling into the tree.

"Need a boost?" Leon chuckles, wrapping his arms around my middle and lifting me up. I reach forward and finally put the star on top, my lips lift into a smile as I  appreciate our work.

"It's so pretty!" I gasp when Leon sets me on my feet, but he grabs my hands and spins me into a slow dance across the hardwood floor. I laugh, almost slipping in my fluffy socks, allowing him to sway and guide me around the living room as 'Let It Snow' plays in the background. Leon dips me quickly, his eyes find mine, full of love and happiness and maybe a small twinkle.

"I'm so in love with you." He gently whispers, then he sets me upright and pulls me in for a long hug. I rest my head on his chest, basking in his warmth for a few minutes until we break away.

"Hot chocolates and Die Hard?" I suggest, earning a wide eyed nod from Leon. We prepare the drinks with marshmallows and candy canes then settle on the sofa with a fluffy blanket, with Leon's favourite Christmas movie loaded up. We watch it together with the lights twinkling around us and the snow outside falling faster. It's truly a magical time, and I wouldn't want to be with anyone else.