Won't Let Us Be Broken

The sound of my heels hitting the wooden floor of our apartment sounds too loud in the deathly silence. I finally stop pacing and slump onto the sofa, my red skater dress fans around me as I glance at my phone, seeing that we definitely should have been at the dinner reservation by now. As if on cue, the universe sends me another cruel reminder as my phone pings, my calendar reminding me that today is mine and Leon's third wedding anniversary.

Worry fills me for a second as the worst case scenario fill my mind, but deep down I know they aren't the case. I should have expected this really, since Leon's missed more dinners and dates than I can count. I sigh, stifling a sob. It was all okay before Leon went to Spain, but once he got back he just wasn't the same. He threw himself into work to the point where I'd hardly see him, and even when I did he'd be distant and less intimate then before.

He promised me though. Tonight isn't just a date or a casual outing. It's our fucking wedding anniversary! Tears fill my eyes as I wait another half an hour, then I finally admit defeat. I get up, heading to the shower and stripping off the expensive dress and lacy lingerie, I scrub off my makeup and step under the shower, letting the warmth of the water replace my husbands lack of care. I don't know how long I spend crying and thinking about how we ended up here, but once I'm done I've finally got a plan of action. One I never wanted to take, I never thought I would even consider it, but it's for the best.

I lie in bed, twisting my wedding ring around and around until finally at two in the morning Leon comes home. Leon acts the same as usual, stripping off in silence without even kissing me or asking about my day. I sigh and sit up, now having the solid evidence I needed to remind me what I need to do. "Aren't you even going to say sorry?" I snap, earning a frown from Leon. He just stares at me, genuinely confused about my mood.

I scoff and begin getting dressed, picking out some worn jeans and a simple tee. Leon watches, and I finally realise he isn't just being an ass, he's actually forgotten about today. I fight back more tears, ignoring him when he speaks to me. "What's wrong bab-"

"Don't you dare pretend to care now." I spit out, pointing a finger at him as I storm across the room. His eyes widen in remembrance, then he has the nerve to run a hand across his face as if he feels bad. I shake from a mixture of sadness and anger, pure adrenaline and emotion fuels my words and actions now.

"I forgot. I swear I didn't mean to forget, I just got so caught up with work." He mumbles, reaching out a hand to touch me. I step away from him, shaking my head before glaring up at him.

"It's always work Leon. When did that become your priority, huh? When did caring more about fucking reports become more important than your own wife?" I shout, my voice thick with tears. Leon just watches me, pain smearing across his features. It's too late though, the damage has been done.

"I'll book us another dinner tomorrow, I'll even finish work early-"

"No." I whisper, but I might have well as shouted it for the way Leon flinches, "I'm not doing this. I can't, not anymore. I deserve better than this." I continue, "I want someone who loves me."

Leon's head darts up as he rushes forward, cupping my face and wiping away a tear I didn't even know was there. "I do love you, that's never gonna change. Please don't leave me." He pleads.

I don't reply. I just turn and grab a bag, shoving my essentials into it. However Leon's now resorted to throwing the things out as I put them in. If this was a different matter I'd laugh it off, but he's getting in my way. "Stop." I say, but he doesn't listen. "STOP!" I scream, wrenching the half packed bag away from him as his eyes glisten with tears. We have a moment of pure dread between us, as if in slow motion we're finally acknowledging what's currently happening. I move first, throwing the bag over my shoulder and walking to the door, grabbing my coat, keys and purse.

"Please." Leon says so faintly. I turn to see him on his knees, arms wrapped around his middle as if he's holding himself together. For a second I debate going to him, but then I remember he hasn't been there for me, so I slip off my ring and drop it on the floor, then leave, only hearing the faint sobs as I rush down the hall.

I stay at a friend's house for a few days before then booking a hotel for an extra few nights to give her some space. I'd spent most of my time crying, trying to eat but giving up, and sleeping as I try to fight the headaches. I haven't felt so bare in three years as I look down at my ring finger, missing the silver band that was there.

My stomach growls as I lie on the bed, the hotel TV quietly plays some cheesy movie but I'm not paying attention. Within minutes I order a food delivery from a local restaurant, then I wait. Not long after there's a knock at the door, but when I answer it I see my almost ex-husband staring at me, his eyes red rimmed and face paler then usual. "I just want to talk. Please just give me a few minutes." He mumbles.

I nod despite feeling like this is a bad idea. He comes in, assessing the room before lifting his hand, showing me the bag of food I'd ordered. "How?" I ask.

He looks embarrassed for a second. "I went to all our favourite places and asked if they'd call me if you went in or ordered. Said it was a government emergency."

"Work related. How original." I huff, but inside I'm kind of touched by the effort and his clear desperation. That's not enough though.

"I've been a shit husband." Leon begins as I rummage through the food, I'm no longer hungry but it gives my hands something to do. "Spain fucked me up and instead of talking about it I tried to avoid it, and eventually that meant unconsciously avoiding you. I didn't mean to, God of course I never wanted to hurt you."

"But you did hurt me." I whisper, giving up and sitting next to Leon on the bed. He nods, and a few beats of silence occur.

"I did. And I'm so sorry, but I can't lose you. I need you, and so I vow to make it up to you, and I swear I'll be a better husband. One you deserve. The one you married three years ago." Hs sadly smiles, offering me the ring. I sigh, thinking on it for a moment, but in the end I slip the ring back on and give him my bossiest, most threatening look.

"If you mess up again, I will divorce you. Like, within a month." I warn. He nods, then wraps his arms around me tightly. That's when I feel he's trembling.

Three weeks later I once again find myself in the same situation as usual. The one I swore I'd never be in again. I lean against the kitchen counter, staring at the clock as it counts down. Leon and I were supposed to go to the cinema tonight to see some action movie, but he is late. Surprise, surprise. I scold myself for thinking he could change, but then again I've seen evidence of it these last few weeks when Leon has opened up to me and finally began cutting down his work hours as much as he can.

Doubt niggles at me anyway.

I sigh as the clock ticks, and the movie has began without us. I take off my boots, but then the door opens hastily and Leon practically runs in, his hair a mess and bruises and cuts line his face. Anger swiftly turns to concern as I run to him, cupping his face as my eyes scan the injuries. He waves it off, giving me a smile as he wraps an arm around my waist.

"Sorry I'm late. Truly. I kinda ran into some trouble, well it ran into me, well actually someone was trying to kill me, but I got out alive, obviously. Can't say the same about our movie though, I'm sorry." He murmurs. I shake my head, letting out a small relieved laugh.

"It's fine. But that's the only excuse I'll accept for now on, if you're not late because of a near death experience then the other excuses mean nothing." I tease, leading him to the sofa and grabbing a first aid kit. Leon sits as I kneel between his legs, gently I tend to his wounds as he tries to kiss my hands, then he finally leans forward and meets my lips.

"They'll be no other excuses Mrs Kennedy," Leon salutes, "I won't ever let us be broken again." He whispers, pressing his forehead to mine in a promise.