The Gah In Gala

I do another quick check in the mirror, rubbing my palms against my formal dress as Leon patiently waits for me downstairs. Nodding at myself, I begin to go meet him, careful on the stairs since heels and I don't exactly get along.

I stop at the last step, my jaw literally drops when Leon turns to greet me, dressed in a black suit and matching tie. As if having the same reaction, Leon's eyes widen as he holds a hand out for me, his blue eyes slowly roam over my figure from head to toe.

"Don't say anything, I know it's too much." I shyly laugh, but Leon shakes his head as his lips tilt into a warm smile.

"You look...too good for me." He breathes out, pulling me closer to him as he presses a delicate kiss to the back of my hand. I roll my eyes but inside I'm melting at the gesture, then we get into the car and head to the charity gala.

On the way my nerves and anxiety begins to play up, my mind tells me negative things like I shouldn't be going or that I don't deserve to be by Leon's side for this. I anxiously toy with the ends of my hair and bite my nails, until Leon links our fingers together and squeezes my hand. "It'll be okay, you're just as good as anyone else there, don't worry about a single thing, I've got you."

I nod, taking a long inhale before letting it out again. "Good girl." Leon murmurs, making my heart beat faster, he knows the effect he has on me, so when I catch him smirking I just shake my head and smile ruefully.

Soon enough we arrive outside of some big mansion, apparently this is where the founder of the charity is hosting his party, and since Leon is one of the top donators, we're kind of forced into going. Well Leon was, but he insisted on me joining him.

I step out of the car, amazed by the architecture and lush gardens but then suddenly a flash distorts my view. I blink once, twice, and feel Leon's arm wrap around my middle. I finally see a few photographers smiling at us, wanting a few shots of the guests. "Just be yourself." Leon whispers into my ear as I smile and look into the cameras. Once the press is satisfied Leon leads me up the steps and into the party.

The gala is just like you'd expect, lavish decorations and upper class citizens dance around as if this is some kind of Victorian ball, I arch a brow up at Leon as he visibly winces. "Yeah, I know it's a lot, but we only need to be here long enough to make appearances."

I nod, looking around the room until my eyes snag on a freaking chocolate fountain. I'm already making my way to it when Leon chuckles from behind me, smiling at me with admiration. I smile from ear to ear, grabbing a strawberry and dipping it under the fountain before raising it to Leon's lips, he leans forward and bites, his eyes on me the whole time. I blush, and turn back to grab my own strawberry.

"Excuse me, were you on the guest list?" An older woman says from beside me, I turn to see Leon talking with someone, so this is all down to me.

"Yeah, I'm here with someone." I politely say, wiping my hands on my dress as the older woman stares daggers down at me. I'm pretty sure she turns her nose up to.

"Are you sure? I can quite easily go get security if you're lying to me girl."

I swallow, my anxiety rising up. "I-" I begin, but then Leon's familiar scent embraces me along with his hands on my hips, he stands behind me like a knight.

"Joanne, meet my girlfriend Y/N." Leon proudly says, Joanne suddenly straightens looking shocked, before she can open her mouth Leon adds "If you've got a problem we can always go talk to Harry?"

As if on cue, the founder of the charity and host of the gala, Harry Stemmings, waltzes up to us all. "Ah, if it isn't my favourite contributor and his lovely woman," he cheers, rosy cheeks tell me he's definitely had a lot of champagne. Joanne pales, looking between us all before backing away as if to escape.

I sarcastically smile at her, doing a little wave as she dashes behind someone and scurries away. Leon chuckles, and seconds later I feel a pinch on my ass from him. "Hey Harry, good party, I was glad to hear that the last payment went through after the delay, I wasn't in the US to send it." Leon says.

The two men get into some chatter as I politely wait until they're done, then once Harry leaves Leon grabs my hands and pulls me to the dance floor. I laugh as we sway together, I begin to relax as Leon makes me feel confident and happy, I even find myself having a good time as Leon dips me and kisses my lips.

"You want to leave yet?" He murmurs setting me on my feet, I begin to shake my head until all of a sudden there's a gunshot.

The gala erupts into chaos as people scream and run, Leon grabs me and pulls me into his chest as he flips a table and pulls us behind it. I look around, hearing numerous gunshots now as Leon reaches into his suit jacket and pulls out a gun. I look around frantically but Leon cups my cheek with one hand to ground me.

"Are you hurt?" He worriedly asks, scanning my face as I shake my head. "Okay, stay here whilst I deal with this, I'll come back-"

"Like hell I'm staying here!" I snap as another shot rings out, Leon curses and pops his head over the table, "Stubborn woman," he mumbles, he shoots and a body falls right beside us and luckily enough a gun slides over to me, I grab it quickly as Leon nods to me, "Remember our lessons?"

I nod, then in unison we both come out from the table and begin shooting at the attackers. "Run for the door!" Leon calls out, I begin to make my way to the door until I see Joanne crouched behind the food table. I debate leaving her but it feels wrong, so I swear and rush to her instead, narrowly dodging bullets as I throw myself near her and haul her up, I aim and shoot whilst pulling her to the door and that's when one of the attacker's blocks my path, aiming a gun at my face.

I blink, then suddenly he falls. I turn to see a very angry Leon beside me, we don't speak, we just head outside now the attackers are all dead. "Thank you." Joanne mumbles before going to join the rest of the guests.

Leon turns on me the instant she's gone. "How could you be so reckless?! I asked you to get out."

"I wasn't going to leave her to die!" I snap back, both of us panting. Then finally his shoulders slump and he envelopes me into a tight hug. I notice he's shaking, so I cling to him and reassure him I'm okay.

"If I'd have lost you tonight-" Leon begins, but I shush him and rub his back as he buries his face into my hair, breathing deeply.

Not long after the cops finally show up. Leon explains what happened and since he's a govemernt agent they take his word for it. Leon leads me to the car and we finally head home, but the atmosphere between us is still tense.

"That really put the 'gah' in gala." I joke, imitating being shocked. Leon just gives me a pointed look before his lips curve.

"You're ridiculous, I love you."