Bikes and Bedtime

I listen to my four year old daughter ramble about some random topic as she sits on the bathroom counter, watching me in the mirror in front of her as I brush her beautiful blonde hair. I nod and ask questions every now and then, but I'm so tired and it's been a long day.

Just as I finish the last section we both hear a loud motorbike race down the street, slowing down before it pulls into the driveway. "Daddy!" My daughter excitedly shouts, her body wiggles as I grin and pick her up, carrying her to the front door and opening it. I then set her down once I've done a quick safety check of the surroundings, and immediately she runs as fast as she can to Leon, where he's still sat on his bike.

"Ahh, how's my little princess doing?" Leon coos, leaning down to pick her up, setting her on the bike in front of him. He holds her up as she smiles widely and begins to chat to him about her day and what we've been up to. After a few moments of watching the adorable reunion I step outside, walking over to them. Leon smiles at me, putting our daughter back on solid ground he then gets off the bike and envelops me into a hug. The scent of his blue leather jacket combined with his cologne makes my heart leap, he smells like home. "Hey honey, I missed you." He murmurs, then pulls away to peck my lips.

"I missed you too," I reply, "this one's been awake and energetic all day." I lightly laugh, setting a hand on our daughters head as she clings to my leg. Leon grins, then scoops her up and wraps an arm around my waist as we all head inside.

"You're just in time for bedtime daddy!" Our daughter grins, grabbing Leon's hand and pulling him into her room. I shrug a shoulder but he doesn't mind, I know he cherishes every moment with her even if he's exhausted after work. Since our little girl is ready for bed already, Leon tucks her in and begins telling her a story as I kneel on the floor and finish tidying a few things. In no time she's in a deep sleep, after all the playing we've done today I'm not surprised.

I yawn, Leon watches me before standing up and helping me to my feet, then we head to our own bedroom. "I'm gonna take a quick shower, then I'm all yours to ravish." Leon jokes, I snort as I laugh, then begin to put my pyjamas on. I wait for a while until I get too sleepy, then I lie down.

"You still awake?" I hear Leon murmur into my ear, his hand softly caresses my ribs as I open my eyes. I must've fallen asleep.

"Yeah, just give me a sec..." I mumble, turning around with my eyes still closed, I reach for Leon but he gently sets my hand down, pulling me to him instead. I open my eyes as I raise an eyebrow, but Leon just shakes his head ruefully and brushes my hair away from my face.

"You're too tired, get some sleep." He softly whispers, kissing my head.

I let out a sound of protest, but he's right, I'm in no state to do anything other than lie here. "Fine," I huff, "maybe we'll have time tomorrow morning?" I ask.

Leon nods, letting out a small contented breath as I snuggle into the crook of his neck, kissing him softly. "I'm so happy with you and our kid, I don't need anything else." He says just as I fall asleep.