Sleep On The Job

AN: I've finally finished Leon's campaign on RE6 so here's an imagine based on that scene with Leon and Ada.

In this imagine, let's pretend reader isn't Ada, they're just in the same line of work😁
-----------------------------------------------------------

I step back as I keep firing at the mutated Simmons who's climbing up the elevator shaft of a nearby building. Smoke fills the air catching my breath, but I can't take any breaks, Leon and his partner need all the help they can get, and whilst I could easily run and get to safety, something is keeping me here.

Or someone.

Just as Leon reaches a floor from climbing, Simmons roars angrily and jumps through the air towards me, growing bigger as he approaches. My eyes widen, I don't even have time to dart out of the way before he lands in front of me, the impact swiping me off of my feet and throwing me across the roof. I let out a grunt of pain, hitting the glass below me harshly, my head takes a lot of impact and before I can reach for my spare gun to shoot, everything goes dark.

Leon POV:

I grip the wire, focused on getting back to Helena and on steady ground until I hear Y/N's yell of pain. My head swivels, eyes zeroing in on her unconscious body. As if I wasn't pissed at Simmons before, I'm raging now. Below the anger is something else, something clawing it's way up and throwing me off.

Fear.

"Y/N!" I shout, not even thinking as I swing off of the wire and through the air towards her. "Helena, cover me." I call out seconds before I land on the rubble filled roof, rolling to lessen the impact. It doesn't do a lot of good and still hurts my shoulder like a bitch, but I can't think about that right now.

"Leon!" Helena frantically calls, worried about my sudden impulsive actions, but she doesn't try to join me. I rub straight for Y/N, kneeling down next to her and carefully rolling her over, I sit her up, hating how pale and bruised she looks.

"Y/N, can you hear me?" I ask, searching her face for any signs. This can't be happening, she's a tough woman who can take anything the world throws at her, surely this isn't any different. "Don't let it end like this." I mumble, doubts creeping in to mix with every other emotion I'm feeling right now. Fuck, why does this woman always make me so unbalanced?

I lean her against my leg carefully, bearing her weight as I grab my handgun and aim it at Simmons. "Get away from her Leon! You're not half the man she needs!" Simmons monstrously says, distorted voice loud enough to shake buildings. I ignore him, shooting at his body as Simmons continues to come closer, my ammo already running low, but I'm not stopping, not ready to give up and let anything happen to Y/N.

"Come with me my love. We'll be together forever!" Simmons adds, voice softening, fueling my anger.

"Not if I can help it!" I snap, jaw tightening as I keep firing, but the bullets aren't doing anything. I can't stay here, we're sitting ducks. "Come on, wake up." I plead looking down at Y/N as I pause the firing, one hand drifts down to the back of her head, coaxing her to come back to me. I'm desperate, willing to face her betrayal or snark if it means seeing her alive and healthy.

"If you're really you, I know you can pull through this. We both can." I murmur, ignoring everything around us as I stare down at her. Right now, in this moment, I don't care about all the hurt she's caused me. I don't care about the lies, or the way she's used me. I just want her to be okay. I need her to be okay, because I've never imagined a world without her in it, even when I can't see her, just the thought of her out there is enough to keep me sated most days, a world without her...isn't a world I want to be in.

Simmons growls, leaning forward as he begins to launch an attack. I do the only thing I can, I sit Y/N up and shield her body with my own, wrapping my arms around her body and head as I take all the force of the attack. Needle like spikes hit my back, a few groans escape me as I grit my teeth and close my eyes, wondering if this is how I go out, but then the attack is over and Simmons backs away again, drained temporarily.

I lean back, arm drifting down as I survey Y/N for any more damage, when my eyes come back up to her face my heart stops. She's looking back at me, a small smile on her lips. "I was just resting my eyes." She weakly says, sensing my panic and need for reassurance. I hold her up, unable to let her go again now I've got her back. Her own hand lifts and covers mine, squeezing slightly before she sits up on her own, giving me the signa to back off.

"Shouldn't sleep on the job." I retort, adding a small laugh of relief as she stands steadily. Shit, even after all these years she still keeps me on my feet.

Y/N POV:

I shake off the pain and dizziness as I grab my gun, then without anymore hesitation I let the bullets fly. Beside me Leon does the same, both of us focused on taking Simmons down. He launches forward, Leon and I dart opposite sides to avoid being squashed, then we keep shooting and avoiding the attacks. I duck down too low on one maneuver and my body protests, I let out a yelp capturing Leon's attention for a split second, but it costs him. Simmons manages to hit Leon, sending him flying towards the edge of the building. I keep shooting, hoping the last few bullets will be enough to kill Simmons so I can rescue Leon. Simmons regresses back into some semblance of a human form as he prowls to Leon who's clinging onto the edge.

My heart is in my throat, "Leon!" I call out, watching as Simmons threatens Leon and stamps on his hand. I keep shooting, edging closer and closer to the man with my gun raised, I'm willing to tackle Simmons over the edge if it means saving Leon. I finally reach him, then without thinking I grab a knife and jam it through his middle, earning his attention as I grab him and throw myself over the edge. Simmons screams, falling as I let go and use my grapple gun to swing back up.

Leon's up again by the time I get back on my feet, watching over the edge as flames erupt around Simmons, engulfing him like he deserves. I look at Leon, who's on the other side of the roof, smoke separating us. One look between us says a thousand words, but as much as I want to stay, unknowing if this is our last meeting or just another run in, I've got things to do. Things to set right.

Leon gives me the tiniest shake of the head, knowing already what I'm doing, but I can't stay. I grab my phone, sending him a message before waving and walking away without betraying my feelings. It's the only form of control I've got around Leon, so I'm keeping them to myself.

'Wish I could stay longer but I've gotta run. I've left you a little parting gift on the roof. See you down the road, Leon.'

As I walk I hear Leon shout my name, and it takes all of my control not to turn and run to him, pleading for forgiveness and kissing that handsome face of his once more. But I can't. I just hope that I'll see him again, that one day we'll actually be able to have a conversation without things trying to kill us in the meantime. Then again, it's kind of our thing.