Christmas Compassions

Leon and I wake up early to get ready, since it's already halfway through December and Christmas is rapidly approaching we want to get to the store as soon as we can to hopefully get everything we need. Once there, Leon and I grab a cart each, then begin shopping for all kinds of toys and fun games that kids will like. Every so often Leon will come find me, holding up a toy and asking if I think the kids will like it. He puts too much pressure on himself, but I know he's been planning this for weeks and hasn't stopped talking about it.

"Leon," I ruefully smile, "stop worrying so much, I know anything you do will turn out to be amazing, and it's the effort that counts."

He nods, then throws the toy into the almost overflowing cart. Once we literally can't fit anymore toys and sweets into the carts we head to the checkouts, where the staff give us odd looks and raised eyebrows at the total. Leon doesn't bat an eyelid, his job pays well and he's been saving up specially for this idea, and though it'll affect our own personal Christmas, I'd rather the money go to somewhere needed.

Back at home, Leon and I spend hours and hours wrapping every toy and sweet, adding small labels to specify the kind of toy or treat to make sure every kid gets something they like. Christmas music plays in the background as we work together, taping and wrapping, snacking and talking, until finally we're left with the biggest pile of presents you could ever dream of.

"I'm so excited." Leon grins, sneaking a glance at me as we stand and stare at the pile. I don't reply, I just wrap my arms around him as his chin rests on my head, both of us eager to go to bed since tomorrow will be a long but fun day.

After unloading all the presents from the car and placing them under the Christmas tree in the community center, Leon's practically vibrating with a mix of anticipation and eagerness to work. "What time do the doors open again?" Leon asks a nearby helper, who's in charge of the food donations.

"Ten minutes time." The man smiles before heading off to his station across the big room. I wait with Leon, sipping some water until finally the doors open. At first only a few families and children trickle in, most quiet and thankful for the help they're receiving. Christmas can be hard on some, so a few months ago Leon suggested we chip in and buy presents for the kids who are less fortunate. I encouraged Leon's idea, even spending some of my own salary to support those in need.

After an hour, the place is heaving with people, mostly children and their parents or guardians. I sit on the floor near the tree, handing out gifts with a smile and a hug to the children. They all happily accept them, giving me another hug before grinning and skipping away. The boxes soon run low, but thankfully we've got enough toys left.

I finish handing out a gift to the last child in line when I hear Leon's voice. I look to see Leon kneeling down in front of a shy looking boy. "Here, I think you'll like this." Leon softly says, passing a medium sized box to the boy. The kid takes it hesitantly, glancing back at his mother as if unsure. She nods, giving her assurance.

"Why don't we open it now, I'm sure father Christmas won't mind." Leon says, lowering himself to meet the kids eyes. The kid nods, then begins tearing at the paper to reveal a remote control police car, ironically it was the present Leon was unsure about in the store.

The boys eyes light up, a grin tilts his lips as he holds it out, staring at it with wonder. "You like it?" Leon chuckles, ruffling the kids hair. The boy nods exaggeratedly.

"I love it! I wanna be a cop when I'm bigger, so I can catch all the bad guys!" The kid exclaims, causing Leon to smile wider.

"Oh yeah? Well I think you'd make a great officer, just remember to be brave and kind, that's the most important part of the job."

The boy nods, then launches himself forwards and wraps his arms around Leon. He freezes for a second, then hugs the boy back, his blue eyes finding mine as I wave and tuck my hair behind my ear. Eventually the boy runs to his mother, who takes his hand and leads him out of the center with a "thank you."  The doors close, and we're finally done for the day with only two presents to spare, they'll be going to our neighbor's kid.

I stand and go to Leon, unable to resist wrapping my arms around him and burying my face into his neck. I reach up for a quick kiss before resuming my position in his arms. He hugs me tightly, stroking my back soothingly. "Are you alright?" He lightly asks, probably wondering why I'm being so clingy all of a sudden.

I nod, "I'm just so in love with you, my caring and compassionate man." I murmur, heart so full I'm afraid it'll burst. Leon relaxes now knowing I'm okay.

"I love you too. Today wouldn't have been possible without your help, I'm so grateful to have you." Leon replies, kissing my head as I pull away, but his hand links with mine keeping me close. "Let's clean up then grab some food, sound good?"

I nod, smiling up at him.