Between the Streets

It's Friday night, which means it's race night. Just on the outskirts of Raccoon City every Friday a series of street races occur on the long stretch of road leading out of the city, it's a good spot for racing and even better for not getting caught.

I step out of my car after winning the last race like always, the adrenaline runs through my veins like electric as I park and collect my money that'll pay for medical bills and rent. Most come from bets, but some of it comes from the entrance fee we have set up. It helps keep the loyal people around. I smile, tucking the stack snugly into my jacket until the first shout erupts.

"Cops!"

My eyes widen, I look across the crowd at my best friend Vanessa, who looks just as shocked as I am. I leg it to my car, swinging open the door but briefly glancing up to see Vanessa in her own car, hands hitting the steering wheel as the engine splutters and fails. Shit. If anyone leaves any kind of evidence here, the races are done for.

Leaving a car here? You're practically stepping foot into a jail cell.

I make a split second decision, beckoning her over as cars rush past and people rapidly leave. Vanessa runs to me as I leap out of the car, shoving my keys into her hands. "Get out of here! I'll take your car, I'm sure I can get it working before the cops get to me." I say, pushing her away from me as her mouth opens to argue. The sound of the sirens get louder, so without anymore arguments she nods and does as told.

I don't turn back as my beloved baby and best friend speed away into the night. I sprint to the other car, desperate to try get the engine running. I turn the key once. Twice, then let out a loud curse before the engine finally works in my favour. However, I'm seconds too late. Cop cars surround me and there's no escape.

"Come out of the car with your hands up!" A youngish cop shouts, pointing a gun at me. I sigh, turning the car off and getting out with my hands in the air, now I can see clearly I notice the cop looks around my age, with a sharp jawline and even sharper blue eyes that narrow at me. "Drop the keys." He demands.

I don't even realise I'm holding them, but once I do I let them to, the metal plunk on the ground triggers him to edge towards me, I give him my sweetest smile. "Don't make this harder than it needs to be." He says, a hint of pleading in his voice.

I shake my head, watching as he proceeds to move forwards. "I don't really fancy a date in the cells tonight." I joke, but he doesn't find it funny. Once he reaches me he goes to grab my wrist, but out of reflex I jerk away and bring my knee up. He dodges it, somehow spinning me around until my front hits the hood of the car. I let out a gasp, wincing as he grabs my wrists and pulls them behind my back before cuffing me.

My body tilts, causing all my cash to rain down onto the floor. Perfect timing. I groan, glancing behind me to see the rookie cop raise his brows. "You steal all this?" He asks is disbelief.

I shake my head as he hauls me to the cop car, where his partner waits. The other cop cars soon speed out of the area, leaving us alone. "No," I say as if offended, "I won it."

"Well congratulations, the only thing it's getting you is a trip to the station." Leon replies, holding the top of my head as he opens the door and I slide in. Frowning at him as he watches me for a second longer.  I can't believe this is happening, but at the same time I'm relieved it's me and not Vanessa, she's got her little sister to look out for.

The drive to the station is a boring one. Slow and steady, and silent. "Take her to the interview room Leon." The young cops partner tells him. I just scowl, getting out of the car as Leon leads me to the interview room, his hand on my back the whole way. Once in I slump onto the chair, knee bouncing nervously.

"Can I get you a drink? Water? Tea?" Leon offers. I nod and ask for water, which Leon comes back with before hesitating to leave.

"Why'd you do it?" He asks.

I stare at him, oddly feeling a sense of trust. "I've got too many medical bills to pay, and I'm barely surviving in my apartment."

Leon's face flashes with something until another cop comes in, and the interview begins. Hours later I'm released with a warning, I think it has something to do with Leon but I'm not sure. It's late and I'm tired, so I make my way out of the station and down the street, shivering at the winter breeze.

A Jeep slows beside me, I clench my fists, ready to attack if need be, until the window rolls down and I see Leon, this time dressed casually rather than in uniform. "You shouldn't walk alone at this time, you should've asked us to call someone."

"I haven't got anyone." I mumble, turning back to the dark street. Leon sighs, then leans over and opens the passenger door, the warmth of his car hitting me already.

"Come on, I'll take you home. I promise you're safe with me."

I debate it, then nod and climb in. Savoring the heat and security. I tell him my address and he nods, putting on some low music as he drives. We make small talk, but it doesn't take long to reach my building. "Thanks." I say, getting out of the car, but before I can Leon grabs my arm.

I flinch, and he immediately apologises and releases me, blushing a little. He reaches into his pocket, pulling out an envelope and passing it to me without meeting my eyes. I arch a brow, taking it and looking inside. I gasp, flicking through the small stack. "How? Why?" I splutter.

"They didn't count it right away, so they'd never know what's missing," He shrugs, "and besides, you seem to need it more than anyone else. You don't seem like the type to get into trouble unless you had no choice, so..." He leads off, finally meeting my eyes.

"Thank you. And thanks for the ride." I whisper, leaning across and pressing a kiss to his cheek. His eya widen, his body stiffens, but then just like that he relaxes and nods.

"I was gonna come post it anyway. Kinda like an anonymous tip. Anyway, just promise me you'll stay safe, I don't want to hear about some street racing accident and see you on the news."

I nod, "Okay, I'll try. But you should see me behind the wheel, I'm actually..." Leon gives me an incredulous look, so I atop and nod, getting out clutching the money.

I wave to him, then rush inside with a mixture of emotions. There's no chance I'm getting arrested again, but maybe in the future I might make a small trip to the RPD for other reasons...