A Four Legged Backpack

I hear Leon's bike before I see it pull up outside of the house. I smile to myself, then to my side where my cat Snickerdoodle is laying on the kitchen counter, midway through having a wash until she pauses. "Our man is home." I murmur, then I quickly rush outside, leaving the door open since my little feline follows me everywhere.

As predicted, Snickerdoodle hops heavily off of the counter and trots behind me. I stop in front of Leon's bike, smiling dumbly as he takes off his black helmet and shakes his hair from his eyes. Damn, what good deeds did I do in my previous life to end up with a boyfriend like him? Snickerdoodle weaves herself between my legs as Leon's ocean eyes meet my own.

"Hey baby, and Snickers," he grins as Snickerdoodle meows in response and watches him, "how are both my girls doing?"

I step forward, leaning on Leon I reach onto my toes and peck his cheek before replying. "We're good. Honestly I'm ready to collapse, I've been doing some cleaeing up today. And of course, Snickerdoodle has been helping."

Leon's smile softens, "I'll cook dinner tonight, okay?" I nod, eyes glued to Leon's in a moment, until Snickerdoodle decides she's not a fan of the lack of attention. She meows again, then begins clawing at Leon's leg, attempting to climb up but she's failing. Such a princess. Leon doesn't mind, he just lightly laughs and bends down to scoop her up, setting four paws on the bike.

Snickerdoodle wobbles, but Leon's hands support her fluffy body as I'm wracked with worry. She's my baby, if she falls I'll probably have a heart attack. "Please don't let her fall!" I panic, hands reached out as if I'm ready to catch her. Leon throws me an eye roll.

"She'll be fine, I won't let her get a single whisker out of place." He replies, and I know he means it. I cross my arms anyway, still a little concerned, but the way Leon's treating my cat makes me feel warm and fuzzy. He looks so...manly, but on the inside he's so sweet and caring.

Snickerdoodle meanwhile, looks to me as if she's being cat-napped. Her eyes are wide as she looks around, her body wobbles since she's never had good balance ironically, but after a minute she begins to feel comfortable, probably at ease with Leon as much as I am. She backs up into Leon, purring as his fingers lightly scratch at her fur. I swallow, watching his perfect hands. Snickerdoodle eventually lies down, with Leon's hands holding her in place so she doesn't tip over.

"So, think I'm ready to earn the title of cat dad yet?" Leon teases, playful eyes twinkling in the sunshine. My lips tilt as I pretend to think.

"Hmmm, maybe? I think you still need to feed her before you can earn that title."

Leon fake pouts. "I do feed her."

"I meant wet food. Not just chicken and cheese." I giggle.

"Guess I'm stuck then, because I'm never opening a tin of food if I can help it. I'm telling you, I'll face monsters and morons, but tinned cat food? Ughhh" Leon pulls a disgusted face, making me laugh even more. I mean he has a point, but I'm not admitting it out loud.

"How has your day been anyway? Did the meeting go okay?" I ask. Leon begins replying, telling me about some DSO mission as much as he can, but I'm ashamed to admit my attention doesn't linger long. As Leon's talking, he's gently playing with Snickerdoodle's paws, glancing down as he pretends she's riding the bike. Whilst I know he's doing it as a form of distraction for himself, something lighthearted whilst he talks about a heavy day, it still absolutely knocks the breath out of me.

I'm holding back a grin, until he makes a drifting noise, then I lose it. I double over, laughing until I'm crying as Snickerdoodle huffs and stands, then jumps off of the bike to roll around in the sun. Leon's laughing too, the whole moment hilarious. He's so goofy, and I love him for it. "Hey, maybe Snickerdoodle can be my backpack since you won't be."

The comment stops my laughing, I feel awkward and guilty, and Leon sees it. He finally climbs off of the bike, shoving the keys in his pocket as he wraps an arm around my shoulders, kissing the top of my head. "I didn't mean it like that, I know you're hestiant. It's okay, I'll wait until you're ready." He murmurs.

I nod, already feeling lighter from his reassurance. Snickerdoodle stretches, never straying too far behind, then she trots back into the house. Leon and I follow, already onto another conversation. He makes good on his word, kindly cooking me dinner before taking a shower with me, all whilst Snickerdoodle paws at the door, meowing constantly until Leon's forced to open the door and let the feline in.