Healthy Heart

AN: This is is request in which the reader is diabetic. I've tried to so some research but to be honest I'm not completely knowledgeable about the topic, so I apologise for any mistakes.

As usual, I hope you enjoy, and I'm sending my love to all of you!♡ 

-----------------------------------------------------------

My knee bounces rapidly as I wait for the doctor to come into the room, since receiving a call asking me to come in, my nerves have been consuming me. Thankfully, Leon is sat beside me, his hand covers my thigh and squeezes in reassurance as I take a breath, swallowing back the need to be sick.

The doctor comes in, giving me the basic rundown about the tests they conducted and finally, the results. "I'm afraid I've got to tell you that you have diabetes, but don't worry, we can-" 

My brain short circuits. This can't be happening. I've done everything right. I've been feeling ill lately, but this...this is far from what I expected. My vision blurs from the tears in my eyes, and it feels like I'm underwater, unable to hear anything the doctor says. I look to Leon, noticing how he's monitoring my reaction, a worried expression on his face as he asks the doctor questions I would've asked myself. 

The doctor, luckily understanding of how I'm feeling, passes Leon a load of booklets and pamphlets explaining how I can manage it, as well as future medication I may need. I'm shaking by the time I come out of the building, clinging onto Leon and holding myself together until I'm sat in the car. Then I finally break down. 

Leon hops out of the drivers seat, opening the passenger door to envelope me into a hug as he crouches down, letting me snot all over him as I sob. He rubs my back, reassuring me it'll be okay. "Don't worry, the doctor knows what they're doing, and I know how to take care of you now, so it'll all be fine. I know it's scary, but you're my brave girl and I know you can deal with this." Leon cups my cheeks, wiping my tears as I sniffle and nod.

We head home, and immediately I go to take a nap, unable to be awake to process today. Meanwhile, Leon heads out to do the shopping, buying ingredients for meals that I can eat and finding substitutes for the ones I shouldn't have. 

A few weeks later, I'm sat on the sofa with a blanket draped around me, I've been feeling tired today so I've been taking a day off from everything, listening to my body and what it needs. "Baby, I'm about to cook dinner, is that alright?" Leon calls from the kitchen. I reply with a nod as he pokes his head around the corner, giving me a small smile. 

I watch TV as he cooks, then I muster the energy to get up and head to the kitchen, wrapping my arms around him as he stirs something. "Looks yummy." I mumble, kissing his shoulder. 

"Yeah? I'm glad you think so, I saw this recipe online and thought I'd try it." He murmurs, turning to kiss me as I sit at the table. Leon quickly dishes things up, then we eat and chat about our day. 

"Don't forget you've got that checkup tomorrow." Leon reminds me once we're done. I nod, biting my lip from anxiety, but Leon grabs my hand, giving it a squeeze. 

"I'll drive you, I've already told the boss I'll be a little late going in." He smiles. I nod, then an alarm goes off on my phone, telling me it's time to check my blood sugar. With a heavy sigh I stand, but Leon gently pushes me down and goes to grab my kit for me. Kneeling down he opens it up and swipes an alcohol wipe over my finger, then loads a needle into the machine, pressing it against my finger. 

"On three?" He asks. 

"Yeah." I worriedly reply, closing my eyes. I prepare myself, but Leon clicks the button earlier, it's less of a jump that way. My exhale is shaky as Leon apologises, then holds a strip to the blood to check my sugar level. It beeps, displaying that it's okay. 

My shoulders drop in relief, but when I look at Leon putting the things away my heart pangs. "I'm sorry I'm so much trouble now." 

Leon's face falls, he drops the things and taps the tip of my nose, pointing a finger at me after. "Don't ever say that, you're not too much trouble or whatever you think, you're perfect the way you are and can't help that these things just happen. I love you no matter what, and I'm going to take care of you because that's my job, and I like it." 

I nod, then stand to hug Leon. 

A few days later, after the checkup has been and gone, and my health is finally stabilising, Leon and I decide to take a hike in the local forest. He holds my hand as we walk, pointing at the various birds we see and letting me stop when needed. When we reach a cute waterfall, Leon drags me under it, kissing me until I laugh and shove him away, only to pull him back for more. I'm exhausted on the way back, so Leon decides to give me a piggy back ride, running and bouncing as I hold on and laugh, then as a treat we grab a bite to eat on the way home, with Leon taking his time to make sure I'm okay after.