Surprise ~ Roderick Strong

I rolled over onto my side in the double bed, opening my ears to see the door creaking open. I looked up as a small figure walked over to the edge of my bed. "Mummy," Olivia whispered. "I want daddy." I sighed, reaching down and picking her up, watching her cuddle into my side. I grabbed my phone opening up FaceTime to see if I could get hold of Roderick. I dialled the number up as it rang for a few times then his face appeared.

"Hey love," he smiled looking at me. I nodded over to the little girl beside me, watching her smile grow as she realised her dad was on the screen.

"Daddy!" She screamed trying to grab him through the screen making us both laugh.

"Hey Olivia! How is my gorgeous girl?" Olivia didn't really know what he was saying, she wasn't really paying much attention to what he was saying, more the fact that she could see his face. "And how is my lady?" I blushed lightly.

"I'm alright. How was the show tonight?" I sat Olivia down grabbing her toy so for her to amuse herself with.

"It was good, the crowd were electric." I smiled watching him smile as Olivia squirmed in my hands.

"She misses you a lot." I watched Roderick sigh through the screen as he looked down at our giddy daughter who was so infatuated with her toys to even notice he was there anymore. I watched him look away from the screen and down at the ground. His expression dropped as I looked at him in confusion.

"Darling I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to go. I'll speak to you tomorrow." He blew me a kiss through the screen as I tapped Olivia's shoulder.

"Say goodbye to daddy," I whispered in her ear. She waved with a giant grin on her face. Roderick waved back to his little princess.

"Bye loves." He said shutting the screen down. I sighed doing the same and then carried Olivia back into her bedroom tucking her in for a sleep.

Yet another day went by and me and Olivia were still by ourselves. Roderick had promised he'd speak to us again today, but nothing ever came of his promise. In fact, over the next few days we hardly had any contact at all. I knew he was busy but when he has a daughter too I hated him for it. She was desperate to hear his voice night after night but he didn't bother at all.

I carried Olivia off up to bed, grabbing her baby monitor and then walking back downstairs. I settled on the sofa finding a random movie to watch on the television placing my hot chocolate besides me on a coaster.

I watched the movie for a good hour when a knock on the door startled me. I walked over to open it to see a bag on the floor. I couldn't see anyone out so instead picked the bag up and placed it inside incase anyone came back for it. I shut the door back up, turning to walk back to my seat. "Get your hands off of my bag!" I screamed looking up to where the voice came from only to see Roderick besides himself with laughter.

I couldn't bare to look at him the fact he had done something like that to me. "Oh babe," he whispered walking over to me and pulling me into a hug. "Surprise." I bit my tongue, some sort of surprise that was.

"I was terrified that you were someone coming to hurt me." I could hear Roderick's laughter in my ear as he held me tighter realising my panic. "How did you even get in?"

"I had my key for the back door." I smiled knowing that he didn't break entry or anything, pulling away from him and kissing his lips softly. "So where's my other princess?" He asked. I grabbed his hand and led him up the stairs into Olivia's bedroom. She was fast asleep with her hands sat under her cheek. Roderick's smile grew as he saw her.

"She's only just got off to sleep." He nodded, leaning over and placing a quick kiss on her forehead. "I can't wait to see her face when she sees you tomorrow."

"Me too, she's going to be ecstatic." I nodded as she began to stir so the two of us left her bedroom, pulling the door to.

"You weren't even meant to be home for another week." I commentated as we walked back down the stairs.

"I know, but I realised that they didn't need me this week and that I'd be much better use at home being a good husband and father. Plus we've not really spoken much over the last week." I nodded not even having the willingness to try and reassure him otherwise.

"You're here now and that's all that matters to me and Olivia." He smiled walking over and hugging me again.

"I love you so much Maddie, and I know I may not be here as often as we'd both like to support Olivia but I'm so thankful she has a mum like you." I blushed burying my face into the crook of his neck, feeling his hand run though the back of my head and through my hair.

"I love you too babe, we're so lucky to have you. Olivia loves you so much and knows in her heart that her daddy is out there living his dream." He nodded placing his other hand on my lower back. I could feel and hear him yawn, making me pull away from him. "I think someone needs to get some sleep." He nodded not protesting at all. I grabbed his hand walking him back up the stairs and into our bedroom. As soon as he fell on the bed he was gone, the days really taking it out of him. I sat beside him running a hand through his hair, watching him closely feeling ever so grateful that he was finally here back home.

For written_in_thestars