TJ Perkins for SharitaRepulsa

As per every Monday afternoon, I walked into the food hall, preparing to stack myself with energy to prepare for tonight, picking out whatever looked semi decent from the chefs.

I walked in and picked up one of the blue trays, sliding it along the aisle, picking out  couple of pieces of fruit, then heading to the pasta bar. "Hi Kehlani," I heard a quiet voice squeak from behind me. I turned around and saw TJ coyly smile at me, whilst reaching across to get some pasta himself. His eyes were fixated on me for some reason, as his spoon slowly started to tip to the side.

"TJ, be careful." I pointed to the little incident that was about to occur, watching it slowly drip off just before he managed to turn around and stop it, the pasta falling right into the lettuce. "Oops." The colour of his cheeks turned a deep crimson red, as he slowly turned around to look at me.

"I'm so sorry," he murmured, stepping back from his tray.

"You don't have to apologise," I told him, but he'd already walked away in complete humiliation. I grabbed the rest of my food, paying for it then sitting down to tuck into it, pulling my phone out for some entertainment.

As I finished up, I couldn't resist a piping hot cup of coffee, giving myself a final little caffeine boost. I wasn't tired as such, but I could feel my eyes slowly drooping. I walked round the arena for a bit, spotting TJ stood with his back to me, typing away on his phone. I felt awful for him after earlier, and wanted to make sure he was alright.

I crept up behind him, tapping his left shoulder. "Hi," I whispered making him jump. He twirled around, swinging his arms up from the shock, only for his right arm to swipe up and hit the bottom of my coffee, sending the steaming contents up into the air and over my chest. "Oh my gosh!" I screamed, throwing the rest to the floor, trying to pull my wet shirt from my chest.

"Kehlani, I'm so sorry, I didn't think it would have been you, nor would I have seen the drink." I stared up at him, looking at the sad pout he'd developed. I somehow couldn't even stay mad at him, he was so flustered and panicked I was more concerned about him than I was me. "Here." He took off his hoodie, throwing it over me, noticing the stares I was getting as my top turned see through.

"Thank you," I smiled, feeling a lot more comfortable. He was shuffling from side to side with nerves, playing with the ties of his tracksuit bottoms. "Are you alright?" He looked down with a sad gaze, nodding his head. "Are you sure? You can talk to me you know."

"No I can't, because I'll probably just end up humiliating myself like I always do, I'm so stupid Kehlani." I sighed, I felt horrible for the poor guy, he didn't mean to at all, he was the sweetest deep down, smiley, friendly, funny.

"Are you sure?" He nodded, looking down at the ground, stepping to his right then walking off down the corridor. I turned around and watched him walk away, softly smiling to myself, trying to reassure myself that he'd be alright.

I couldn't stop thinking about TJ all evening, he was so adorable, but he thought so lowly of himself, and I had no clue why.

The evening had come to a close, and I was all packed and ready to go, only to be disturbed by a knock at my door. I walked over and opened it up seeing Noam leaning on the doorway, panting for breath. "Kehlani, thank goodness you're still here, you need to follow me."

Once he'd got his breath, Noam grabbed my hand, running us both down the corridor. "What is going on?" I asked, cringing at the strong hold he had on me.

"I can't tell you, you need to see for yourself." I nodded, though he couldn't see me, all sorts of scenarios were racing through my mind. Was it a fight? Was someone hurt? Did someone want to see me?

He dragged me round one final corner, pushing me forwards to look at the crumpled mess on the floor. I took a couple of steps closer, seeing the gelled hair, and dog tag necklace around their neck. "TJ?" His body was quivering, his hands were shaking, and his breathing was hitching every time he inhaled. He slowly turned his head up to look at me, huge red blotches around his eyes. "What's wrong?"

"I'm such a mess Kehlani, and worse of all, I lied to you." I turned to Noam, shooing him away, sitting beside TJ. I wrapped my arm around him, feeling his body melt into my hold. "I always seem to muck things up, I really like you Kehlani, but every time I go to say something, or show you, I make a mockery of myself."

"No you don't TJ. You're a sweet and adorable soul, with the whole world smiling back at you. You're clumsiness is what makes you TJ Perkins." I ran my hand through his hair trying to calm him down. I didn't realise how low his confidence was, or how oblivious he was to his adorableness.

"Why are you being nice?" He whispered, looking up at me. "I've made a fool of myself for nothing, I tried to be open, tell you how I felt, I'm surprised you've not wanted to run away."

"TJ, I really like you, you're one of the most genuine people around here." He slowly looked down at the floor again, blushing at my compliment. "Come on, why don't you get up, without falling over and tripping up, and we can go somewhere and talk properly." He nodded, standing up from his seated position, weakly smiling over at me.

"You actually like me?" His pitch rose in surprise and shock.

"Yes I do," I giggled, linking my arm in his. "Now, if any of this is going to work, my bag is in my locker, so I expect you to carry it, without dropping anything." For the first time, a small smile appeared on his face, although I could tell he was trying to hide it.

"Yes ma'am." I lent my head on his chest slightly, walking him in the right direction, keeping a careful eye on him so he didn't do something silly again, or ruin the happiness he was finally feeling.