Singular Mistake ~ Dean Ambrose

Who thought one mistake could stick with me for the rest of my life? It wasn't even meant to be this way. It was one evening of fun, one of our usual drinking games, and now all I could feel was rejection from everyone in the room.

The catering hall quickly became the loneliest place on the planet, an area of isolation from the mass groups of people.

I sat with my coffee, scrolling through my phone to avoid all means of communication, not that it stopped anyone else. My table was bumped numerous times by people walking past, including my so called friends.

Alicia passed first, nudging my drink to spill it. "Tramp," she jeered, disguised in a cough. Rosa followed up beside her, happily laughing to herself at my own expense, staring me down through her fake lashes.

I searched the room for a little inkling of hope that one day things would go back to normal, but instead I was left to blush and cringe at my own humiliation from everyone else.

If there was any one person I felt maybe I could turn to it would have been Sasha, my closest friend over the past four years, but even she detached herself from me, citing personal differences.

Once I'd drunk my coffee, I grabbed my bag, heading out to the bathroom. If there was any time I was going to sort this mess out, it was now. I couldn't bare the embarrassment any longer, the whispers, the rumours, the silence. Everyone had all these unanswered questions as to why I did it, what made me do it, but they just couldn't bring themselves to associate with me.

I walked into the stall, burying down to the bottom of my bag to pull the plastic stick out, carefully reading through the instructions, setting the timer on my phone.

I sat down and waited after following the guide step by step, looking down at the stick once the timer beeped, a singular red line evident for all to see, an answer to so many questions.

Was he going to be mad? Yes. Would I be unemployed in nine months time? Yes. Was I going to risk all of this for the sake of a life? Absolutely.

I would struggle of course, who wouldn't in my position, but I had to be strong. I felt a hot tear roll down my cheek, my moment interrupted by the door opening. I couldn't bare anyone to see me in such a state, quickly sniffing back the tears, wiping under my eye with the end of my sleeve, throwing the stick back into my bag.

The only thing that was left to do was to tell him, I had to have some decency about the situation.

You never know, he might surprise me, this baby was half his anyway. She shouldn't have mattered, he was just as much to blame, but of course she wanted to stick by him. She was his voice box, speaking up for him, leaving him to stand behind him and nod along as if it were his belief too.

I walked down to their dressing room nearby, taking the stick from my bag, walking up the door. I knocked on the door twice, awaiting a response.

The wait seemed like it took forever, muffled sounds being heard from within. Eventually I saw the handle drop, and the door open.

"Haven't you done enough already?" I sighed, looking at the vengeance in her eyes. I was surprised I hadn't been beaten up the path already considering how angry she was.

"Renee. I just need a second, I'll say my peace and then I'll leave, you can be in the room too." I tried to remain calm, acting the more grown up in a situation for once.

"You're right, I will be there, I'm not leaving him alone with someone who can't stay away from someone else's guy." Renee stepped aside allowing me in to walk into their dressing room where he sat.

"Who was it?" He asked, looking back from his seat, just as I walked in. He jolted up, brushing his hair with his hands, straightening his jacket. "Oh, hi."

"Beau has something she'd like to say." He stood up in his ring gear, the sweat patches already clear on his grey vest.

"Actually, I have something I'd like to say." I gulped, moving a little further back from him.

"You tell her babe." I sighed at Renee's little dig, staring hopefully up at Dean.

"You ruined everything, me, you, my relationship. I was your friend Beau, I was your best friend, but just because you can't control your drink you decide to just throw yourself on me." I gasped in shock, shaking my head.

"That wasn't what happened, and-"

"-let me finish. You're a joke Beau, you nearly destroyed me, and I was meant to be your best friend. All these vicious rumours that need putting straight because you just can't keep quiet, or tell the truth." The only thing I could hear was Renee's sniggers, fully standing by Dean.

"Me tell the truth? Dean you've lied to everyone, you've destroyed me. You're meant to be my best friend, yet you go and do this." He shook his head, searching around the room as if he couldn't believe what I was saying.

"Beau, why can't you just stay out of my life, we're done, and there is no going back. I don't care if people don't talk to you anymore, you brought this on yourself."

"If that's the way you want it then fine, but I'll leave you with one gift before I leave." I buried back through my bag and pulled the stick out, throwing it down on the ground just in front of his feet.

The two of them gasped, frozen to the spot, stunned as I felt them with my one secret, finally being able to prove that I was telling the truth.

I slammed the door shut, taking a huge deep breath, running my hands through my hair. I'd never felt so good for doing such a thing, and maybe the mistake was a blessing disguise.

I'd seen Dean's true colours and now I was going to find myself a new companion in life, who I know would never leave my side.