Recovery ~ Finn Balor {Part 4}

"Kalani, congratulations, it looks like you're clear to compete." I felt Finn's grip tighten on my hand, moving to rest his head on top of mine.

"Wow. Are you sure?" The doctor nodded enthusiastically, handing me over some paperwork.

"Are you happy babe?" Finn whispered into my ear, making me jump a little. I looked over at him, nodding my head, offering him a weak smile.

"You just need to sign these off and we can get you discharged for good." I took the pen on top of the paper, initialling the bottom.

"Thank you so much for everything," I smiled, sliding the papers back across the table. The doctor took them, filing them away somewhere, standing up and stretching his arm out.

"Good luck with everything." I rose to my feet, shaking his hand, stepping back as Finn did the same. "Look after yourself Kalani."

Finn laced his hand back in mine, walking back through the hospital out to the exit. "That was good news," he smiled, pushing the door open for us both.

"Yeah," I trailed off, watching a young adult hobble in with their arm around another person.

Just eight months ago that was me, struggling to think I'd even move again after taking the butterfly suplex, but here I was.

The two of us walked out of the sliding doors, going straight to the car in complete silence. I jumped straight into the seat, with complete ease like I used to.

"Ready for one final drive?" I looked across at Finn, nodding my head, watching the entrance whisk past me one last time.

He turned left out of the car park towards the big roundabout, turning out from the second exit. "Finn, you're going the wrong way." I looked back at the first exit where we were meant to go to be able to get home.

"It's fine, just trust me." I wrapped my hand around the door handle, watching out the window anxiously, every single place we passed a possible destination.

Ten minutes later he stopped outside the coffee shop we always used to go to when we first moved out to Florida, hopping out of the car and coming around to open my door. "What are we doing here?" I asked, taking his hand and placing my feet on the pavement.

"I thought we could celebrate a little." I rolled my eyes, pulling him straight threw the door. Just the idea of considering a near career threatening injury as a celebration was enough to make me terrified again.

"Shall we take a seat?" Finn nodded, pointing across at the spare table just by the window of the coffee shop, with the two comfy seats.

"You want your usual?" I smiled up at him, no words necessary, he knew the slightest things about me and everything I loved.

He joined the back of the queue, texting away on his phone until a young member of staff finally took our order.

I watched him the entire time, staring at his slightly overgrown hair that stuck up in all sorts of directions.

He took the tray, turning around and walking over, carefully placing it down on the table, taking both our drinks off of it.

He sat down beside me, taking the sugar bowl, dropping two cubes into his coffee. "Don't you just feel like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders?"

"Yeah," I muttered, staring down at my drink, knowing his eyes were fixated on me.

"You don't sound so sure sweetheart, is everything alright?" I could feel my heart beat quicken in my chest, because the truth was, on the inside I was far from alright - I was petrified.

"Of course." He sighed, knowing that I wasn't telling the truth, reading me like a book.

"You sure?" I brushed my hair out of my face, looking up at him for the first time since we sat down.

"No." I felt the material of the chair screech, Finn shifting his weight forwards, reaching across to run his hand down my arm.

"Why? I thought you'd be ecstatic." I shook my head, knowing that I couldn't feel further from that.

"I am, but I'm just worried about the future, my back might be fine now, but in one week, two weeks, it could be back to square one." He moved across out of his seat, coming up beside mine, kneeling on the wooden floor.

"No one can predict the future darling, you've just got to make sure you take all your opportunities and if things go wrong then they do, but there is always the chance that they could be incredible." He reached up a little, pecking my cheek.

"It just scares me, I've not done it for so long, I just know things won't ever be the same." He nodded his head, understanding exactly how I felt having been in the situation only a year ago himself.

"You've just got to keep working hard, it'll be like a duck to water, you won't ever think you've been away after a couple of days." He moved back across, placing his hands around his steaming hot mug.

"I just need time, it's all been such a whirlwind that I don't feel like I'm ready sometimes, the crowds, the pressure, it's all gonna pile on top of my again." I reached forward and took a big sip from my drink trying to steady my anxiousness.

"You don't have to worry about a thing, you know I'll be with you the entire time. I know what you're going through, the first few days hit you like a tonne of bricks, but you soon adjust and learn." I nodded, wiping under my eyes, making sure that I didn't let any of my tears fall in public.

"Maybe this was the best news, I can move on and not worry about damaging my back because I know I'm safe." He smiled, letting out a little giggle, leaving me no choice but to smile up at him myself.

"To a fresh and injury free start," he toasted, raising his mug up in the air. I took my own, clinking it against with a smile on my face, finally being able to look at a more hopeful future.