Altering Perceptions ~ Pete Dunne

I stood in the ring opposite Carmella, copying everything she did trying to pick up the tips I'd yet to learn.

I usually relied on Tyler, but after last week, there was a very slim chance of the two of us ever talking again. He was my best friend, was, but after he insulted my career and family, I was done.

The gym was full of people working out, each doing their own thing, perfecting their own craft.

"Right and then if you bend down you can pick them up by their hair." She squatted down, which I followed, being able to see the men behind her watching her bum in her tights.

I tried not to giggle in the hope she wouldn't notice, the stares continuing throughout the rest of our little workout.

"Thank you so much," I smiled, hugging her before climbing out of the ring. I looked around catching Trent in the ring, moving my glance to the other corner and seeing Tyler tying his shoelaces up.

I quickly looked away, making sure he didn't see me, stepping out of the ropes and towards the water fountain.

"You looked impressive in the ring." I span around and saw a guy walking over, taking a mouth guard out. I smiled, trying to be friendly, not sure who he was.

"Thanks." I turned my back to him filling my bottle up with some of the colder water, the condensation forming already.

"I'm Pete by the way, I wrestle for the company." It still meant nothing to you, but you still smiled, shaking his hand.

"I'm Alex, the newbie." He giggled, rolling his eyes back. "What?"

"We've all been there haven't we, the awkward conversation when we have to introduce ourselves. Don't worry, I can help you out darling." I didn't quite know how to take his mini compliment, nodding in appreciation to his gratitude.

"Well, I need to get going, I've got a couple of meetings to go to." He nodded, stepping aside, waving to me as I walked away. I could barely remember his name, but his kindness meant a lot to me.

He was right, I was struggling for friends, everyone turning their nose up at me for my lack of experience.

Once I'd finished in the gym I got changed, trying to squeeze in some time to get a bite to eat before I went to my meeting.

Catering was practically empty, just the way I liked it, tables everywhere for me to sit at. I picked up a sandwich and bottle of water, heading to the back of the room.

It was silent, utter bliss, no rowdy guys, squealing girls, just me, food, and deep thought.

That was until I saw a figure slide into the seat opposite me, their pale elbow leaning on the table. I followed it up, catching the moustache then those eyes, recognising the face instantly. "What could you possibly want?"

"Just listen to me alright." I rolled my eyes, I'd heard it several times before and I knew exactly what was coming. "You need to stay away from Pete."

"You never fail to amuse me Tyler." I knew it, completely, he wanted to pretend to be the protective best friend.

"Alex, stop being a drama queen and listen, for once. He's bad news, he's gonna hurt you, he'll be nice to your face Alex but he's dangerous, don't do this to yourself." I nodded, completely past caring for what he had to say.

"Just leave me alone please." He was lucky I had any sort of manners about me the way he was with me.

"Just consider what I'm saying." I sighed, staring off to the left until he walked away.

As he walked out of the room I noticed Pete walking in, beads of sweat all over his face. I watched his every move closely, noticing the adorable little smile he owned. I wasn't sure if he'd seen Tyler speaking to me or not, but I could sense there was some sort of friction between them.

He looked around just like I had done, noticing me and walking over. "Hi," he whispered, grabbing some cutlery. "You're friends with Tyler?" I cringed, there was no messing around from him at all.

"We used to be, we aren't anymore." I could see he was trying to hold back a smile, only establishing my earlier thoughts.

"That's good to hear, I don't think he's got the best views of me to be honest with you Alex." He wasn't wrong, Tyler had made his voice heard for sure.

"Yeah, that was sort of the implication I got from him." His eyes widened in shock a little, slightly hurt.

"He spoke to you?" I nodded, watching his shoulders sadly drop. "I hope he hasn't influenced you Alex, you deserve the right to stand on your own two feet."

"Tyler hasn't changed nothing, I still consider you a good person Pete, Tyler's just got a few issues right now." He nodded, sighing a little in relief.

"Good, because I think you're a really beautiful girl Alex, and I know you're set up for good things in this company." I giggled, trying to hide my blush.

"You're a really sweet guy too Pete, a good hearted guy." I returned the compliment of course, it was genuine too. Tyler's little monologue had only made me find Pete a little more friendly and sweet, clearly he felt a little threatened by him.

"So, I was wondering if you maybe wanted to head out for a meal sometime? Just me and you though, no one else." I couldn't help but smile, the thought of it already exciting me.

"I'd love that Pete, and I'd hope that no one would be there, if you were asking me out on a date of course?" He shyly nodded, looking down at the ground.

"Yeah," he whispered, slowly bringing himself to look up at me. "I'll let you know sometime." I got up, heading out for my meeting, walking over and briefly wrapping my arms around his neck, kissing the top of his head.

For AlexSuNA