One Gentlemanly Evening ~ Jack Gallagher

"Where is it we're going?" I questioned, looking to my left at Jack. His eyes didn't deter from the road, rolling slightly.

"I'm not telling you, it's a surprise." He finished with a chuckle, a coy smile spread across his face just under where his moustache sat.

"You know I hate surprises." He nodded, his smile only widening, as he moved the car to the lane across.

Our silver Ferrari was currently gracing the autumn roads down through Florida towards his surprise destination. The roads were remarkably empty for a weekday evening, just a few late workers on their way home.

"Yeah, that's part of what makes this evening so enjoyable my dear." His arm slowly removed itself from the wheel, stretching across and landing on my knee. "I promise, you'll love it."

"I hope so." I whispered.

Every single road or junction passed sent an nervy shiver down my spine. Would we go left? Right?

Considering how new we still were to the state there were only a few places Jack could pick out for us to visit. A couple of restaurants, the beach, and a couple of theme parks. 

We ended up going down the long stretch of country road that wove down the east coast, a secluded and peaceful part of Florida, a familiar reminder of the roads back home.

Fields of green, a few birds tweeting, and massive tractors taking up half the road.

Jack drove round, reaching the end of the road and taking a sharp left down a small alley way.

The streets looked messy, dirt ridden, as if they'd almost just been abandoned.

My hand lowered down onto the door handle, gripping it tightly, anxiously peering out of the window, noticing a small infestation by one of the drains.

"What are we doing here Jack?" I whispered, watching his smile reappear.

"Trust me love," he smiled, carefully manoeuvring the vehicle right through to the end, pulling up in one of three spaces at the end of the street.

"This is it?" There were a few pathways in between all the houses, leading off in a few different directions.

"Yeah." He sounded so much more upbeat then I imagined, as if this was going to be some sort of fun. "Hop out then." I let out a sigh, stepping out onto the cobbled ground and round to where Jack waited.

"Lets just get this sorted." He nodded, lacing his lightly freckled hand in with mine, leading me down the left hand alley.

"Scary isn't it," he whispered in my ear, following it up with a shockingly poor impression of a ghost.

"Well it's not exactly the cleanest of places." He chuckled, leading me down a couple of steps, until we reached the bottom.

In the background I could hear the familiar sound of the waves coming from the beach nearby.

"I'm gonna put my hands over your eyes," he warned, bringing them up and placing them right over my eyes, oblivious to the fact I'd shut them anyway.

"Don't do anything, please," I told him, placing my hands over his, making sure that I didn't lose contact with him.

"Just take a few steps forwards." I stepped forwards tentatively, then rang my feet back together, repeating the action a couple more times. "Perfect. Now, after three, one, two, three."

I opened my eyes first, then felt his hands drop back down to his side. I looked out noticing the sea before us, a small trail of rocks and a couple of rock pools.

"Wow," I whispered, looking around studying every little detail.

"Impressive, right?" His arms snaked around my stomach, holding me closely from behind.

"How did you even find this place?" I couldn't quite believe what a contrast it was. Such a beautiful hub disguised by such a horrid spot of land.

"I spoke to a couple of the guys, Mustafa had come down here a couple of weeks ago, stumbled on it during a beach walk." His cold breath tickled the side of my neck, making the hairs slightly stand.

"It's amazing." His hands removed themselves from around me, intertwining with my hands instead.

"Come on, lets have a better look." He took the lead, guiding me down and over the rocks, down a sandy path towards the sea.

"I don't think I want to leave this place, it's just so tranquil." Jack smiled down at me, bringing me forwards with his arms and kissed the top of my head.

"I couldn't think of a more romantic spot for the two of us." He wasn't wrong, it was simply breathtaking.

"Can we make this our spot?" I asked, letting go of one of his hands, stepping back and stretching out the distance between the two of us.

"If that's what you want, then of course we can darling." I watched closely, noticing his eyes fall to look at a collection of pebbles just by my feet. His smile dropped, turning straight, filling me with worry.

"Jack, you alright?" His eyes quickly looked back up at me at the sound of his name, quickly nodding.

"Yeah, just a little something playing on my mind." I squeezed his hand gently, stepping back forwards so we were millimetres apart.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" He nodded, letting go of my hand, taking one pace back.

"Yeah, I do." I stood there, waiting and allowing him to take his time.

"The thing is." He brought his left hand into his jacket pocket, holding onto my lower arm with his other, bringing his right leg forward and resting his knee in the sand.

"Jack," I whispered, feeling the release of his arm from me.

"Janine, words cannot begin to tell you how special you are, how beautiful you are, and how blessed I am to have had you in my life over the past ten years. Will you marry me?"

The moment couldn't have felt any more perfect, for either of us, the setting, his words, it was all so him. My Jack.

"Of course I will." He let out a little chuckle, sliding the gorgeous diamond ring onto my finger. "Come here you big softie." I helped him get back up to his feet, tightly wrapping my arms around his neck. "I love you so much."

"You're perfect." His head nuzzled into the crook of my neck, the soft hairs of his perfectly trimmed moustache tickling me like it always did making me chuckle. "Flawless," he muttered into my skin, placing a soft kiss on my neck.

"Shut up, you'll make me blush." Jack pulled away, cupping my cheeks with his cold hands.

"It's my job," he whispered, placing his lips firmly onto mine, locking my lips with a great deal of passion and love.

"And don't you do it well." His thumb gently brushed along the side of my rosy cheek, before pulling away and lacing into my hand once again.

"Shall we go?" He asked, spinning me around so I could look back out to the sea once again.

"Can't we just stay here a bit longer? It's all a bit too perfect to leave just yet." He smiled, nodding his head, bringing my frame so it stood in front of his.

"Of course we can, whatever my princess wants she gets." His arms moved back around my tummy, squeezing me a little tighter as the breeze picked up from the sea.

"Thank you," I smiled, tilting my head back and pecking his left cheek, my lips just brushing against his hairline, grazing it ever so slightly. "I don't want to wake up from this dream Jack."

"Then we won't, as long as we have this moment in our hearts, we'll never wake up from it."