Bay Area Concerts

Bay Area Concerts

We enjoyed the new house until we left for the Bay Area for an appearance and a few concerts. The first concert was at the Fox Theater in Oakland. The following two concerts were at the Fillmore for a charity benefit. While we were in the Bay area he reconnected with old friends and musicians. We held parties in our penthouse almost nightly, except on performance nights. 

One night in particular, Sheila E showed up and he was thrilled to see her. Since he has known her for so long, they have a comfort level he doesn't have with too many. Music was played, food was consumed and a good time was had by all. You know, when musicians get together, they play- it's what they do. Once most of the people filtered out, only a few people remained. We caught up with those we had not seen in quite some time. 

Towards the end of the evening, Sheila, who'd unfortunately had a little too much wine, was feeling her wheaties. I was standing with my husband , right by his side, when she says,, "Well, since you are into older women now, maybe we could 'do the twirl' again- like the good ol' days." She was blatantly reaching for Mr. Happy (!) when without hesitation, I intercepted and snatched that hand, yanking her away. "Come on Sheila! You and I are going to have ourselves a little girl-talk!" 

 I dragged her through the suite to the 2nd bedroom and sat her down. "Sheila, what the hell is wrong with you? Besides being drunk out of your mind?" Sheila started to cry, babbling incoherently. I went out to grab a cup of coffee for the both of us. When I returned she was half asleep on the settee. I woke her up and handed her the coffee. When she focused on me, "Gigi, what's going on?" "Sheila, you just propositioned my husband!" "No, I did not!" "Yes, you did!" 

Then, crying, she apologized profusely, of course blaming it all on the wine. I hugged her, "Sheila, I forgive you but seriously, do not, and I mean ever, do that again, or else." She knows what I mean when I say that. I may not be a journalist anymore, but I can still wield a swift sword with one phone call- and she knows it all too well. "Gigi, you know I would never hurt you or Prince. It's just... he looked at me with those damn eyes and I lost all common sense." 

I had to laugh, "I know Sheila. Those eyes gets him in trouble all the time. Drink your coffee." When the effects of the alcohol started to subside and the caffeine kicked in, she was truly embarrassed, repeatedly telling me how sorry she was. "No worries Sheila, I already forgave you. Your bigger problem is what you are going to say to him when we go back out there." 

She got it together and we went back out to the living room. She decided that, rather than confront him she'd just go. She shouted, " Bye, see ya soon." and she was gone-poof. After everyone else left, we were sitting on the sofa. "Baby, Sheila slithered out of here with her tail between her legs. Did you bitch slap her?" We laughed, "Darling, I was kind to her and she apologized, so I forgave her and all is well. She'll never do it again, trust me. 

But, now I have to address your part in this. What did we previously discuss about those 'cherry moon' eyes? Hum?" He flew across that sofa like a bat, slamming me on my back. "Baby! I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry! I didn't even know I was doing that. Especially to Sheila? What the??? I always look at her that way." 

I'm laughing, "Sweetheart, this time she was intoxicated so she didn't even know what she was doing. I'm not mad at you, but those looks are still getting you into trouble." "Baby, you know I only have eyes for you. Right?" "Sweetie, yes I know. Just tone it down some okay?" 

"Baby, you know I've been trying really hard to prove to you that I have changed. I've been doing this so long, sometimes I don't even realize what I'm doing. Tonight, I treated Sheila exactly as I always do; it was never a problem before. I feel comfortable around her, she's like an old pair of shoes. She just was too intoxicated, I guess. So, did you rip her a new one?"