Anything For You

He hasn't let go of her hand since he reached for it. He's running his fingers up and down her hand, and when his fingers find her wedding ring, he fiddles with the band. Twisting it, moving it, trying to forget any trace of her husband for the time being.

He's almost shocked she hasn't pulled her hand away yet. Especially since her daughter and his son are right across from them. But he's noticed Betty hasn't made any sign of discomfort towards the gesture and the thought makes him hopeful. Hopeful that maybe, just maybe if Alice finally leaves Hal, Betty wouldn't be totally against the idea of he and Alice together.

His thoughts are interrupted when Betty and Jughead announce they are ready to leave. "Mom?" Betty says, catching the attention of Alice.

"Yes?"

"Are you ready to go?" Alice looks between Betty and FP then down towards their entwined fingers.

"Actually, I think I'm going to stay here for a while." She looks over at FP and he stares at her, trying to hide the joy that brings him. "You can take the car and drop Jughead off at home." She says as she hands her keys over to her daughter.

"Do you want me to come pick you up later?"

"I can take her home." FP says, almost instantly.

"You sure?" Betty quizzes, knowing the times she's seen the two interact it hasn't been the nicest of conversations.

"Yeah, I got her, don't worry." he looks towards Alice and tries to fight a grin. "I can handle her."

Betty nods and then her and Jughead leave the diner.

When the door closes they're both silent until they hear her car pull out of the lot.

Alice breaks the silence with a heavy sigh and lays her head on his shoulder.

"Thank you." She says, quietly.

"You know I'd do anything for you, Alice." He says, nonchalantly. They both know it's true and maybe that's what makes it more painful. Because she knows he's willing to risk going to jail again for her, while her own husband would probably turn her in.

"I know but you just got out of jail and I'm already dragging you down again."

"Alice, I would do it again." He says, and she lifts her head off of his shoulder to look at him. "You're not dragging me down. I wouldn't have offered to help you if I didn't want to. I did it because..." he stops for a moment, knowing that telling her the real reason he did it wouldn't be a smart move, she does still have a husband. "I just didn't want you to have to deal with it, that's all. Prison sucks ass, I wouldn't want to see you go back there."

"You have no idea how much I appreciate everything you've done for me... and I'm not just talking about tonight."

"Like I said, I'd do anything for you. I'd do it all over again."

"FP, I..." she wants to tell him, tell him about Chic, tell him about how shitty her marriage is, how it's practically falling apart, how Hal moved out and how he hasn't touched her in months. But most importantly she wants to tell him she loves him, how she's never stopped loving him. But she doesn't know how to say it, she can't seem to form the words.

So instead she looks around the diner and when she sees that no one is here except for Pop who is in the back, she turns back to FP with a thin smile on her lips.

He raises an eyebrow at her and she leans in to close the distance between them, connecting their lips for the first time in 20 years.

He kisses her back almost instantly, one of his hands moving to cup her cheek, the other still holding onto hers.

When he deepens the kiss she smiles against his lips, missing his kisses and his hands on her.

"FP." She mumbles breathlessly against his lips. She'd forgotten how much she loved kissing him, he'd forgotten how much he loved kissing her, and she knew that if they continued like this, she would probably let him take her right there in the booth.

Because it's been on her mind for weeks, if she's being honest with herself, it's been on her mind for years.

Hal never made her feel the way FP did. She knew he never would, she knew when she started dating, and eventually, married him, that she would never love him like she loved FP.

"Alice." He whispers, he knows they shouldn't be doing this. But he also knows he's never stopped loving her and wanting her since the moment they ended things all those years ago. If only he could go back in time, maybe they could've had their chance at a happily ever after.

"We can't... shouldn't." She says, but still she leans in to capture his lips once more.

"You're right." He says, resting his forehead against hers.

"But I want to... god, I really, really want to." He opens his eyes and sees a tear slip down her cheek. He wipes it away quickly and leans his head back to look at her, taking her face in his hands.

"What's wrong?" He asks, pained from seeing her cry again.

"I missed you... I missed you so damn much and I don't know what to do."

He hushes her and pulls her to him, wrapping his arms around her body as she cries into his chest.

He kisses the top of her head and whispers, "I'm here, I've always been here and I always will be."