College Tours

"Mom?" Betty calls as she walks into the living room. "Jug and I are going to go on a little road trip this weekend to look at colleges so can I take the car?" 

"Elizabeth, you are sixteen years old, I am not letting you and your boyfriend go on a road trip by yourselves."

"Why? We'll be seventeen this year and we are perfectly capable of taking of ourselves, you know that."

"I don't doubt you two are very responsible, however, with everything that has gone on in this town the last couple of years I don't want you two being completely alone. And besides, I'm already a grandma of two, I don't want to be a grandma of three quite yet."

Betty cringes. "Ew mom! No. We're going to go look at colleges, that's all. We're going away next year we need to find one we like." Betty drops down on the couch beside her and gives her puppy dog eyes. "Please mom?"

Alice sighs. "Fine." Betty grins. "But, I'll be coming with you."

"Why? Can't you have a little trust in me?" Betty whines.

"I have lots of trust in you, however, like I said, you're sixteen, even if I did allow you two to go alone you wouldn't legally be able to drive anywhere without an adult in the vehicle."

"Fine. We're leaving Friday after school."

"Looking forward to it." Alice smiles smugly at her.

_____

"Mom, they're here!" Betty calls from downstairs, Alice's eyebrows knit together, they?

She brings her bag downstairs and freezes when she sees FP standing in her doorway, and possibly worse, he has luggage. "What are you doing here?"

"Mom!" Betty scolds.

"It's fine, Betty. Why don't you and Jug go help JB load up the car." She nods and the teens carry all bags outside, leaving FP and Alice alone in the house. They haven't seen each other since he ended things with her a few weeks ago. "Nice of you to pack for Betty."

"That wasn't Betty's bag, it was mine." Alice crosses her arms in a huff.

"Yours? You mean, you're going?"

"The kids can't legally drive alone,  and I'll be damned if I'd let them anyway."

"I already told Jug I'd come with them."

"Well then there's been a change of plans!"

"I can't, Alice, Jellybean is looking forward to this trip and I want to spend time with her."

Her expression softens. "Fine. I'll stay then, I'll just go get my bags." She trues to storm past him but he catches her arm, stopping her. "FP, let me go." She croaks out.

"Alice-"

"You've done it multiple times before."

"Alice," his voice is soft. "I'm sorry. Please don't stay behind, I don't want you to stay alone all weekend just because I was an asshole."

"Well I don't exactly want to spend a weekend with you."

"Do it for the kids, Al. Spend the time looking at colleges with Betty, you'll hate yourself if you don't. Just think about the smile on her face."