Fighting

"Finally!" Alice huffs as FP walks in the door.

"Aw, baby, I missed you too." He leans in for a kiss but she pushes him back with a hand on his chest.

"That wasn't a happy "finally", I'm livid."

"What? Why?"

"You told me you'd be home early!"

"I got held up at work babe, I'm sorry."

She rolls her eyes. "FP, I had an important meeting to go to, you knew that!"

He sighs and runs his hand over his face. "Shit, I'm so sorry, I forgot."

"Well I missed it because I couldn't find anyone to watch the kids." 

"Should've dropped them off to me."

"Oh wow, that's a great idea! Wish I would've thought about that three hours ago!" She storms past him into the living room and he sighs as he chases after her.

"I'm sorry, Al! I couldn't control it, the job ended up going longer than expected."

"Then you should've called and told me that! FP, this was a really important meeting for the Register, this could set me back!" The two of them continue to bicker and upstairs Lindie wakes up due to the loudness of their voices.

She groggily strains to listen to the voices and recognizes them as her parents, yelling back and forth at each other.

She climbs out of her bed and walks across the hall to her brother's room. "Chiccy wake up!" She whispers as she shakes him awake.

"Lindie, I'm sleeping!"

"Chiccy, mama and daddy are fighting." She whines. "It's making me sad." She pulls herself up onto his bed as he sits up.

"It's okay, Lind, just go back to sleep." The five year old waves her off.

"I can't, Chiccy! I'm too sad!"

"You don't have to be sad."

"But I don't want them to bweak up." The toddlers eyes fill with tears.

"They're not going to break up, Lindie. They're just having a little fight, they'll be happy in he morning."

"That's too long, I want them to be happy now!"

"Go back to bed, I'm sleepy." He nudges her away and she pouts as she walks out of his room.

She clutches her blanky and teddy bear tightly as she quietly walks downstairs. She perches herself on one of the bottom steps and watches her parents from her spot on the steps. They're still arguing back and forth and the little girl cries silently as she watches them.

"Look, Al, I'm sorry. I messed up," he reaches out his hand to take hers, entering their fingers. "I'll call the Register first thing in the morning and tell them it's my fault you couldn't make it to the meeting."

She takes her hand away from his in order to hug him instead, he happily wraps his arms around her as well. "I'm sorry, it's just-"

"Shhh, baby you don't have to apologize for anything. I'm the one who screwed up, I should've called." He pets her hair as he pecks a kiss to the top of her head.

"No, I get it, you were busy working. I can't be mad at you for that." She leans her head up and gives him a small kiss. "I'm just a little stressed out that's all."

"Why don't we cuddle and watch a movie so you can de stress a little. I'll rub your feet too."

She smiles. "You're the best, you know that?"

"Yeah you've told me once or twice." He captures her lips in a longer kiss this time and takes her hand to lead her up to their bedroom, stopping once they see their daughter sitting on the steps, crying. "Hey baby girl, what's wrong?" FP questions as he kneels down in front of her, Alice does the same.

"You and mommy are going to bweak up!" She cries even harder.

"Oh honey, we're not going to break up, we were just arguing." Alice explains. "It's okay."

"You were fighting loud!"

"Come here kiddo," FP pulls her into his arms and stands up. "You know how you and Chic fight sometimes?" She nods as she rubs at her eyes. "Well sometimes mommies and daddies fight too."

"But I don't like it when you fight!"

"I know, baby girl," Alice presses a kiss to her cheek. "But it's okay, because daddy and I love each other along so we're not going to break up."

"Pwomise?"

"Promise." FP and Alice say in unison. "You want to come cuddle with mommy and I in our bed?" She nods and lays her head on FP's shoulder, content with the knowledge that her parents aren't breaking up.