Chicken Pox

Alice and FP are woken up when the weight of a four year old lands on them. "What are you doing awake so early?" FP groans as he buries his face in the side of Alice's neck, hugging her closer to his body.

"It's morning!" Chic explains. Alice flutters her eyes open and look at her son, perched on his knees at the foot of their bed.

She sits up and FP wraps his arms tighter around her waist, nuzzling into her side. She laughs as she looks down at him. Some days she feels like she has two kids.

"Wake up babe." Alice says, running her fingers through FP's hair.

"Yeah, wake up daddy." Chic says, laying himself down in between Alice and FP.

FP opens his eyes to see Chic staring right back at him, a smile on his face. "Uh-oh." FP says.

"What?" Chic questions, his eyebrows furrowing just like Alice does.

"You woke up the tickle monster." FP says, sitting up quickly and grabbing Chic into his arms, tickling him all over as he laughs and kicks.

"Mommy! Mommy, help me!" Chic yells, giggling up a storm.

Alice just looks at him with a shrug. "Hey, you're on your own. You're the one who woke up the tickle monster." She tells him.

When FP finally lets him go he's out of breath, his cheeks rosy from laughing so hard. "So what do you two want for breakfast?" Alice asks.

"Pancakes!" Chic says instantly.

"I second that." FP agrees.

"Pancakes it is, do you want-" she stops talking mid-sentence when she sees Chic scratching his arm, noticing little red bumps adorning his skin. "Let me see your arm." She says to Chic who sticks his little arm out towards her. She looks it over and let's out a little sigh. "Looks like someone caught the chicken pox." She announces.

"Really?" FP questions, leaning over to look.

Alice lifts up Chic's short enough to reveal his stomach which also has little red bumps on it. "Really." She confirms.

"What are the chicken pox? I didn't touch any chickens!" Chic tells them, making them both laugh.

"You didn't get it from chickens honey, that's not where it comes from."

"So why do they call it that?"

"I'm not sure." She says, genuinely wondering herself. "Anyway, chicken pox are very itchy little bumps that are going to be all over you." She explains.

"Forever?"

"No, not forever just for a week or two. You just can't scratch them, I know it's going to be hard but you can't."

"But I'm itchy now!" He says.

"I know, we'll go to the store and get you some stuff to help with the itchiness." She says. "You've had chicken pox right baby?" She asks FP.

"I don't think so." He says, making Alice's eyes grow wide.

"What do you mean you don't think so?"