Valentine's Day

Alice sighs as she sunk into the couch cushions. She kicked Hal out weeks ago and he's made no effort to come back, that she knows of anyhow.

She swishes around the wine in her glass, listening to the quiet sounds of her empty house.

Polly's still living on a farm and wants practically nothing to do with her. Chic is out with a girl he met at work, and Betty is on a date with Jughead. It's Valentine's Day after all, and everyone seems to have plans besides Alice.

Her only plan is finishing off a bottle of wine and maybe a bubble bath. But then she hears a knock on the door and she sighs as she stands up to open it. It's probably Hal and while she's still angry with him shed be thankful for the company.

So imagine her surprise when she opens the door and sees FP standing in the doorway with a bottle of wine and a rose.

"No one should be alone on Valentine's Day." He says with a grin.

"How did you?" She trails off, confused as to how he knew she'd be alone tonight. It's not like she went around broadcasting her and Hal's current separation.

"Betty mentioned it when her and Jug came by the trailer to pick up the keys. I asked what plans you and Hal had tonight and she mentioned something about Hal staying at a B&B?" A smug smile is on his lips and though he tries, albeit weakly, to hide it, Alice knows the fact is making him giddy.

"Yeah, he is."

"Huh..." He doesn't say a word more, just flashes that smile that makes her knees weak. "So? What do you say Alice?" He asks her, gesturing to the wine in his hand.

She ponders it for a moment before stepping aside. "Fine. Come in." She smiles as he walks past her into her house.

He places the bottle of wine on the table and turns back to her, holding the rose in his hand.
"Every girl deserves a rose on Valentine's Day." He says as he hands it to her.

"Thank you, FP." She smiles as she lifts the flower towards her nose and smells the sweet scent.

He watches her and smiles to himself before turning to walk into the living room. His eyes catch the bottle of wine on the coffee table and he laughs. "Starting early huh Al?"

"Shut up." She says rolling her eyes but not bothering to hide her smile. "I'm alone for the night, can't blame me." She yells from the kitchen. She fills a vase with water and places the single rose in it.

"Well you're not alone anymore so get your butt out here." He yells back to her.

She grabs an extra glass from the cupboard and walks back out to the living room with a smile.

"Patience, FP. It never was your strong suit." She teases as she sets down the glass in front of him.

"You're one to talk." He teases back. He catches her glare out of the corner of his eye and laughs.

"Touché."

She sits down on the couch beside him and tops up her glass.

"So... didn't have any big Valentine's Day plans?" She wonders, taking a sip as she leans back in the cushions.

"Please, I haven't had a valentine since Gladys left. And before that... well, you."

"Hal was always so extravagant about this holiday, and every holiday really."

"Sounds pretty perfect." He says, and she can practically hear the eye roll and disgust in his voice.

"Far from it actually." She says and his head snaps up. "Come on FP, you know I was never into the super extravagant things."