Homecoming Chaperones

Alice stood on the sidelines of the school gym. Why had she signed up for this? She's beyond bored and they're not serving any alcohol.

The doors to the gym open and she can't help her nosiness when she turns to see who it is. Her heart stops for a moment when she sees who it is, FP Jones.

She turns away, maybe he won't see her? Or maybe he will and he just won't approach her.
But she knows FP and she knows that there's no way he's not going to come to her.

She's proven right when she sees him walking over to her.
"Alice." He says as he drinks her in. A silver dress that hugs her body just right, her blonde hair, now lighter and shorter, perfectly coiffed on her shoulder. Her makeup is dark, and it reminds him of teenage Alice.

He himself didn't dress up completely, but he had a feeling she would be here. Alice always loved to stick her nose in the middle of everyone's business, so it was no surprise to him when he saw her.

He put on a dark blue dress shirt and a pair of dark jeans. He could feel her eyes on him, and he couldn't tell whether it was out of judgment or lust. He hoped it was the latter because that's how he looks at her.

"FP." She says, averting her gaze back to the dance floor. "Surprised to see you here."

"I hope it's a pleasant surprise."

She rolls her eyes but he can see the smile she's trying to hide. He knows he's getting to her, he always does, he always has, it's something neither of them can deny.

The song in the room changes to Cryin' by Aerosmith and both FP and Alice smile to themselves as the song brings back memories.

"God, remember this song?" FP asks her as he reminisces.

How could she not? It was a favourite of there's back in the day, a staple piece anytime they played a CD, and when it would come on the radio it was an unspoken pact that it would be cranked to max volume.

"How could I forget." She smiles.

FP steps forward, "Well, what do you say Al?" He sticks out his hand to her. "A dance for old times sake?"

She ponders for a moment before reluctantly placing her hand in his.

He led her onto the dance floor and when they found a clear space he stopped and gave her a smirk. He got to her.

She glared at him but she wasn't mad, far from it actually.

He entwined their fingers and placed his hand on her waist, pulling her close to his body. She moved her hand onto his shoulder a few moments later, he could feel the tension. The tension in her body, the tension between the two of them.

So he moves close enough so she can hear him. "Al, we don't have to if-"

"I want to." She says quickly, cutting him short. "It's just been a while. And it's you and I... this song... it's just a lot."

"I know, I get it." He says, squeezing her hand, hoping to comfort her in some way and show her he understands.

He feels her body relax a little in his arms and her hand tightens around his.

They sway quietly to the music, and as he listens to the lyrics it hits him hard. Maybe it's because it was their song or maybe it's because the lyrics are so painstakingly them.

She leans her head on his shoulder, nuzzling in close to his neck, breathing in his scent. He still smells of leather and liquor, and also faintly of cigarettes even if he never did pick up the habit himself.

"I've missed you." She admits, loud enough so only he can hear.

He feels his heart flutter as she says it and he cocks his head to whisper to her. "I've missed you so much more, Alice."

He wraps his arm tighter around her waist, hugging her to his body.

As the song reaches the last bit he leans back, loosening his grip on her. She looks at him confused but he grins and takes her hand, raising it in the air. She takes the hint and twirls around, she's smiling like a fool, and his smile matches hers as he watches her.

When he pulls her back to him her chest bumps against his and they stare at each other. Her mouth opens slightly, and she watches him intently. Not knowing what to do or what he's thinking.

He watches as her eyes drift towards his lips and back up to his eyes. He wants to kiss her, has wanted to kiss her for over 20 years. But then the sound of clapping fills the auditorium and they realize the song has ended.

They move away from each other almost instantly. And awkwardly clear their throats, clapping along with the rest of the crowd.

Alice opens her mouth to say something to him as a new song starts but before she can a pair of hands land on FP's shoulders. Fred Andrews.

He says something to him that Alice doesn't care enough to listen to, and with a bittersweet smile at him she walks off the dance floor. FP watches her the entire time, wanting nothing more than to chase after her.

She catches his eyes one last time as she walks out of the gym and her lips curl into a smile before she leaves the room completely.

He can't help the smile that comes onto his lips and he can't hide it as it grows wider when he realizes he didn't feel her wedding ring on her finger.

Fred notices almost instantly and speaks up. "What's got you so happy?"

"Nothing." He says, clearing his throat and fumbling with his collar. "It's nothing."

"It's her isn't it?" Fred says, implying Alice who was standing there not even a minute before.

FP just raises an eyebrow at Fred and smiles as he walks off in the same direction she left.

It's her. It's always been her.