It Wasn't Over

"Can you believe you're getting married in a week and a half?" Hermione says, making Alice smile as she holds her wedding dress up to her body in the mirror

"I know, I can't believe it. It feels like just yesterday we started dating and now we're engaged to be married? It's been a crazy five years."

"You and Hal are the perfect couple though, we can all see it."

Hal knocks on the door, interrupting the girl's conversation. "Alice, sweetheart?"

"One second!" She turns to Hermione. "Hide my dress!" Hermione puts Alice's wedding dress in the closet as Alice hurried to take off her veil.

"Okay, come in."

The door opens and Hal smiles at her. "We're you trying on your dress again?"

"No, just admiring it."

He laughs and leans down to kiss her softly. "I have to go to work, just wanted to say goodbye."

"Bye, honey! Have a good day!" Hal leaves the room and Alice turns back to Hermione. "Alright, back to the dress!"

____________

Later on Alice heads to the market to pick up some groceries.

She walks to the checkout line and feels her heart skip a beat at the sight of the man in front of her. "Fosythe Pendleton Jones, as I live and breathe."

He turns around and smiles at her. He's know that voice anywhere. "Well I'll be. Alice Smith, I haven't seen you since high school."

"It's been a long time, how haven't I seen you around?"

"I've been living up in Toledo with my girlfriend."

"What made you come back here?"

"Got a job with Freddie. I'll be here for three weeks."

"Fred Andrews? No way, he's my neighbour."

"Really? Well I guess we'll be seeing a lot of each other."

She smiles at that. "I look forward to it."

He pays for his groceries and is about to leave when he turns back to her. "Hey, Al?" Her heart skips a beat at his use of the nickname he gave her back in high school. "If you're not busy right now, would you like to go get a cup of coffee?"

She smiles. "I'd love to."

____________

They talk and laugh with each other as they drink coffee, the two old friends (and lovers) catching up as if nothing had changed though so much had.

"Woah," he nearly chokes on his coffee when he sees the diamond on her hand. "who's the lucky guy?"

"Oh," her cheeks blush slightly and she drops her hand into her lap. "Hal Cooper."