Tears

Betty wakes up when she hears someone moving around downstairs. She cautiously gets out of bed, terrified someone is in her house.

As she walks down the hall she notices her mother's bedroom door wide open. She peaks her head in and sees she's not there. She can hear soft cries coming from downstairs and she knows they belong to her mother.

When she comes downstairs she sees Alice drinking a glass of wine and crying while looking through scrapbooks. "Mom? Are you alright?" Betty asks her, knowing all too well that her mother is certainly not alright.

"This me was." She mutters, pointing at a picture of herself in the scrapbook. Betty comes closer, trying to figure out why her mom is so upset. "Stupid, stupid me."

"Mom, you should go to bed, it's late, not a good time to be drinking." Betty says, taking the bottle of wine from the table and away from her mother.

"No! Leave it!" Alice cries out. "I need something so I don't feel anything."

"What's going on, mom?" Betty asks her, placing a hand on her shoulder.

Alice opens her mouth to speak but closes it again and sighs. "Just go to bed, Elizabeth. I'll be fine, I'll go back up soon."

"Mom, I don't want to leave you alone like this. You need someone."

"I don't have anyone. I've driven them all away."

"You have me, mom."

Alice smiles softly at her daughter and lets her take her hand. "I know, honey. Thank you." She says. "But you can go up to bed, I'll be just fine, I'm just going to put these away and I'll go up."

"You're sure?"

"Positive. Go on." Alice urges, faking a smile at her daughter.

Betty nods and goes upstairs, but the minute she's out of sight she hears her moms sobs again. She sighs and continues up to her bedroom.

She picks up her cell phone and looks for the number of the only person she can think of to help her mom.

"Betty?" The gruff, tired voice in the other line speaks. "It's three in the morning, are you alright? Is your mom alright?"

"I don't know. I woke up and heard her crying downstairs."

"Did you go and check on her?" FP asks her, already, unbeknownst to Betty, getting dressed to come check on her himself.

"Yeah She was crying while looking through scrapbooks." Betty tells him. "She's drunk."

FP sighs on the other end of the line. "I don't know what to do. I know you've helped her before so tell me what to do?"

"Just go downstairs and unlock the front door, I'll be there soon."

"Do you need me to do anything else?"

"Just go back to bed, you have school tomorrow, you need sleep."

"Okay." She replies simply, she knows he can handle her mother... he has before. "Thank you, FP."