Grandparents

The phone rings as FP is feeding Lindie. He reaches for it with his free hand, the other still holding Lindie's bottle. "Hello?"

"Hi, honey." Alice's sweet voice says on the other line.

"Hey, baby, how's work?"

"Busy, that's why I'm calling, we're behind and I need to stay longer, just like an hour or so."

"Okay, no problem, we'll just leave when you get home."

"Actually, would you mind getting Lindie ready and going over there? You know how my parents are, if they tell us a time they expect us to be there at that time, especially if we have the baby."

"Al, your parents hate me."

"Why is why you should be there on time, get on there good side. I'll be there as soon as I'm done work, I'll just drive straight there from work."

"Honey, I really don't mind waiting for you. I'm sure you'd rather come home and get changed before heading over."

"Oh, that's the reason you're willing to wait for me? It's not because you're still scared of my parents after all these years is it?"

"Well maybe that's a bit of the reason. But I guess since I love you I can bear being alone with your parents for a bit."

"I love you too. I'll try and get out as fast as I can so you're not stuck with them for long, I know they're not exactly the warmest people."

"Take your time honey, we'll be fine."

"Okay, I love you, I'll see you in a bit."

"I love you too." He looks down at their daughter, smiling in his arms. "Say bye to mommy, baby." He coos. He puts Alice on speaker, knowing she'd probably say something.

"Hi baby, I'll see you later. Be good for daddy and don't let Grandma and Grandpa be too hard on him." Lindie giggles into the phone and waves her little hand, FP laughs.

"She's waving to you." He tells Alice. She smiles on the other end of the line and they say their goodbyes.

"Alright kid, lets get you ready to go to Grandma and Grandpa's." FP says as he stands up. Lindie starts crying. "I know, I don't want to go either but at least they like you."

He picks out an outfit for her, dressing her in a pink dress and blue polka dotted tights to keep her warm, it's December after all.

He grabs her winter coat but then he sees her little leather jacket and decides that would be an even better addition to her outfit. Plus, it will make Alice's parents eyes bug out of their head and he needs some sort of entertainment.

Truth is her parents loved him when they were dating as teenagers but then they broke up and they've hated him since. They still hate him now even though they're back together and even have a baby! Though, they do adore their granddaughter.

He puts on her jacket and then puts a bandanna on her head, tying it in a bow. "You look just like your mommy." He tells the 10 month old.

He lays her down on he and Alice's bed and places pillows around her so she won't crawl away and off the bed.

He pack up the diaper bag, filling it with toys, diapers, and other necessities. After, he picks up the babbling baby and carries her and the diaper bag down the stairs and out the door.

He straps her into her car seat and grabs a rattle from the diaper bag so that she can keep herself entertained on the long ride to Greendale.

When he arrives at Alice's parents house he sighs, he really hopes Alice comes soon. "We're here, kiddo." He walks around to the side of his truck and is greeted with the smiling face of his daughter. "Your grandparents are going to have an aneurysm when they see you." He tells her in a babyish voice.

He knocks on the door and Alice's mom answers. "There's my grand-baby!" She coos at the smiling baby. "Hi sweetheart." She reaches her arms out to take the baby from FP and showers her in kisses.

FP fakes a pout. "No love for me? I helped make that baby."

"Hello, Forsythe. Care to explain why my granddaughter is dressed like James Dean?"

"I don't know what you're talking about." He challenges.

"Mhm." She gestures for him to follow as she walks further into the house. "Look who I found!" She says to her husband. His face lights right up at the sight of his granddaughter.

"Why is she dressed like an extra from Grease?" He asks.

"Forysthe dressed her." Alice's mom scowls.

"Hey, she looks cute!" FP insists. They ignore him and instead sit and play with Lindie.

He waits in silence, just watching the three of them, occasionally making faces at his daughter and making her laugh.

"I'm here!" Alice announces as she walks in the door. FP is up in an instant. "Hi, honey." She greets him with a smile, placing a hand on his face and kissing him softly.

"Hi, baby, how was work?"

"Busy, we were swamped with articles."

"Well you're here now, thank God for that." She smiles and kisses him once more before taking his hand and walking further into the house, following the sound of voices and her daughter's giggles.

"Hi, sweetie!" Her parents greet her.

"Hi mom, hi dad." She walks closer to gather her daughter into her arms, the baby's face lighting up in a toothless grin at the sight of her. "Hi, baby girl." She coos.

Her eyebrows furrow as she looks at Lindie's outfit. "FP, what did you do to our daughter?"

"I dressed her like you asked." He tells her. "Doesn't she look cute?" He reaches out a hand to hold the baby's.

"I thought you wanted my parents to like you? Bring our daughter over dressed like a biker isn't going to help with that." She whispers.

"Admit it, she looks adorable. And besides, I dressed her nicely underneath, I just added a cool jacket on top."

"She does look cute, but you need to learn how to math. A pink dress and bright blue polkadot tights doesn't match, honey."

"It gives her character!" He defends.

"You're a dork." She tells him before kissing him. "But you're my dork and I love you."