D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Her divorce had come as a shock to everyone in the town except for FP.

From the moment those two started dating he knew it wasn't going to last, and he told her as much. But she was too stubborn to even entertain the idea of him being right.

He told her loved her when they were young and she had said it back, and he knows she meant it. Even if she did eventually leave him for Hal Cooper.

But part of him doesn't blame her. Hal Cooper was her ticket out of the shit hole she called home as a teen, the Southside.

She was destined for greatness and he was adamant that she would follow her dream of being a writer/journalist.

He was just surprised she had stuck with Hal for so long. He was never a great guy, too cocky, too rich, too fake, too Stepford, too... not her type.

So no, it hadn't surprised him when the news of her divorce rung through their small town.

What did surprise him however was her tuning up on his doorstep after the divorce had been finalized.

"Alice? What are you doing here?" He asked, genuinely wondering but also with a huge, smug smile painted on his lips.

"I divorced him. It's over."

"I know, I heard."

"And? Come on FP, we both know you've never liked Hal, you must have something more to say."

"It's your life, Alice. I don't know what you want me to say."

She looks angry now, he always liked to rile her up. Always found some weird humour in how easy it was for him to piss her off.

He walks into the living room, leaving the trailer door wide open, knowing she'll follow him. When the trailer door slams shut and he hears her high heels clicking after him, he knows he was right.

"So you can tell me not to date him, tell me not to marry him, tell me to leave him, but now you got nothing to say?" He turns around to face her and chuckles to himself when he sees her. Hands on her hips, a scowl on her face, and daggers in her eyes that are surely only for him. "What is so funny, FP? Huh? What could possibly be funny right now?"

"Nothing, nothing at all." He watches her eyes narrow at him and he stifles another laugh. "I don't know what you want me to say Alice?"

"You always had so much to say what's got you so shy now? Let me have it, tell me how you were right and I was wrong!"

"Alice." He says, trying to get her to stop talking.

"Tell me how Hal was never right for me and that you told me so."

"Alice." He tries again but she still speaks.

"You had so much to say when you visited me the night before my wedding! Some nerve you had telling me you loved me before I was supposed to get married!" He tries to interrupt her but it's no use, she's been holding all of this in for over 20 years and she's finally letting it out. "Or how about when you showed up at my wedding and sat in the back with Fred Andrews. Watching me the entire time, smiling at me, congratulating me, all the while looking so god damn attractive I could've slapped you."

She sounds pained. Like all 20 years of hurt are finally catching up to her.

"Or how about when you married Gladys? Invited me, knowing it would kill me because I wanted nothing more than to be the one you were promising your life to."

"Alice."

"Or how about when the kids started school and we saw each other every day when we picked them up and dropped them off? Do you know how bad I wanted that to be our children? It was supposed to be us FP, and you know it!"

"Alice." He tries and fails yet again.

"But now you have nothing to say? There's so much I know you want to say, so much I want you to say." She takes a deep breath, her breathing growing frantic as she yells at him. "I want you to tell me you miss me, and that you're happy it's over with Hal. I want you to grab me and kiss me and tell me that you love me and that you've never stopped because I haven't."

"Alice!" He yells over her, finally gathering her attention.

"What?" She yells back.

He doesn't say another word just grabs her and pulls her to him, kissing her hard.

She kisses him back, her hands reaching for the back of his neck. His arms tighten around her body and he deepens their kiss, missing her lips against his after all these years apart.

He pulls away for a moment, both of them breathless.

"I love you and I've never stopped."