Homesick

"I can't even remember the last time we were alone." Alice comments as she and FP walk into their hotel suite.

She got invited to a journalism convention and brought FP to tag along. While it's nice to get away just the two of them, it meant having to leave Jellybean at home with Fred and Hermione.

"It's been a while, that's for sure." He wraps his arms around her waist after setting down their bags. "Good thing that convention is tomorrow, because I'm not letting you go all night." He presses kisses up the side of her neck and she laughs.

"Good because I don't want you to." She turns around to kiss him properly. "But I'm starving, so let's go get some dinner."

"Better yet, lets order some room service."

"Deal."

_____

"Room service is just so much better than going out. I mean when you order room service you can eat in your robe, but when you go out for dinner you have to wear actual clothing. I don't know why people don't just order room service more often." FP rambles on as he finishes up the last of his food.

"Honey the bill was $87.53 and we didn't even get dessert. I think I can understand why people don't order room service." She shows him the bill to prove her point. "But now I do wish we had ordered dessert too."

"You're my dessert." He tells her, nudging her so she'll lay down on the bed. She laughs as he hovers over her, capturing her lips in a swift kiss. "And the tastiest damn dessert I've ever had." He starts trailing his kisses to her neck, down to her chest, pushing her robe open a little more to give her breasts proper attention.

"Mmmm, and when do I get my dessert?" She seductively asks him, leaning into his touch.

"Once I'm finished with mine. Might be a while though." He trails his hand up the inside of her bare thigh and her breath hitches. But before things can go any further he hears his cell phone ring. "Shit." He moves off of her and grabs his cell phone while she straightens out her robe.

"Hello?" He speaks into the phone.

"Hi daddy." Jellybean's quiet voice greets solemnly on the other line.

"Hey baby girl, it's late, what are you still doing up?" He mouths to Alice that it's Jellybean and she gestures for him to come back to the bed so she can listen. He does and she turns the phone on speaker so she can hear their daughter.

"I miss you and mama."

"We miss you too, baby girl." FP tells her.

"Are you ok, sweetheart? Did you have a bad dream?" Alice asks.

"No mama, I just miss you and daddy!" Jellybean tells them, the tears audible in her voice. "Can you come home?" Their hearts break. If they were home they'd be on their way to pick her up right now.

"We can't baby, we're too far away." He hears her sniffles on the other end of the line and his heart sinks. "Tell you what? Why don't I read you a bedtime story? How does that sound?"

"That sounds ok."

"Ok, you get in your bed and get all snuggled up and comfy and you let me know when you're ready."

"Ok daddy."

He turns to Alice who's wiping a guilty tear from her cheek. He presses a kiss to her temple and curls his arm around her.

"Ready!" Jellybean announces.

"Alright, is Goodnight Moon okay?" He knows it is, he reads it to her ever night, so much so that he's memorized it by now.

"That's my favourite!"

"Well that's good. Ok," he gets more comfy on the bed himself before starting the story. "In the great green room there was a telephone and a red balloon. And a picture of the cow jumping over the moon. And there were three little bears sitting on chairs And two little kittens and a pair of mittens And a little toy house and a young mouse. And a comb and a brush, and a bowl full of mush And a quiet old lady who was whispering, "Hush."" Jellybean says it with him and he smiles. "Good night, room. Good night, moon. Good night, cow jumping over the moon. Good night, light and the red balloon. Good night, bears. Good night, chairs. Good night, kittens. Good night, mittens. Good night, clocks. Good night, socks.
Good night, little house. Good night, mouse. Good night, comb. Good night, brush. Good night, nobody. Good night, mush. Good night to the old lady whispering, "Hush." Good night, stars. Good night, air. Good night, noises everywhere."

He finishes the story, expecting Jellybean to still be awake but he doesn't hear anything. Instead they just hear the sounds of her soft snores coming through the phone.

"Goodnight, Jellybelly. We love you."