Pregnant

I stare down at the plastic stick in my hand. Staring at the two, faint, little lines that tell me what I already suspected; I'm pregnant.

17 and pregnant, 17 in a gang and pregnant.
FP is going to freak, no doubt. Can I even tell him? I'm not sure.

He's supposed to be picking me up for a date any minute now.

I stick the test in my purse and put on my jacket as I walk downstairs. Perfect timing too since FP knocks on the door a few seconds later.

I open it and suddenly feel extremely nervous. "Hey, baby." He smiles as he leans down to kiss me. I kiss him back but pull away quicker than I usually would, he looks at me a little strange but doesn't say anything about it.

I say goodbye to my parents and walk out the door and to FP's truck.

When we get in he leans over to kiss me but I give him my cheek only.

"Hey, are you okay? You mad at me or something?" He asks.

"No! Not at all."

"You just seem a little off that's all."

"I'm fine, I promise." I lean over and kiss his cheek.

I really am fine, but also terrified because I know I'll have to tell him about the baby.

"Okay... I love you." He says, almost as if it's a question.

"I love you too." I say without missing a beat, because I do, I love him more than anything.

He smiles that charming smile of his and sets his hand on my bare knee as he pulls out of my driveway.

We drive to the Whyte Wyrm and I groan internally. Usually the Whyte Wyrm is one of our favourite places to go and hang out, we'd go and have some drinks, dance, and just hang out with friends. It's always a good time but I have a feeling tonight will be the exception.

We get out of the truck and FP takes my hand as we walk inside. Tall Boy instantly runs over, having waited for us to show up.

He starts up a conversation with FP as I stand there in a trance like state, panicking as the bought of having a baby rushes through my head every five seconds.

"Hey there Smith, you alright? You're kind of in a zone." Tall Boy says, snapping a finger that snaps me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine."

"Well let's go to the bar, get you both to loosen up." FP agreed and follows Tall Boy to the bar, I, still holding his hand for dear life, follow against my better judgement.

"Can I get a beer and shot of tequila." FP asks the bartender.

"Actually nothing for me." I say. I don't know much about pregnancy or babies but I do know that I can't drink.

"Nothing?"

"Maybe just some water."

"Okay... So a beer and water, please." The bartender nods and goes to get our drinks.

FP doesn't question my not drinking, he just places a hand on my back and rubs it slowly. I sigh and lean into his side.

The bartender comes back with our drinks and we sit down at a table with Tall Boy and some other friends.

"Hey baby?" FP says.

"Hm?"

"You wanna dance?" He asks and I agree with a smile. He smiles wide and sticks out his hand, which I gladly take.

He leads me onto the dance floor, spinning me around before pulling me to his chest. I wrap my arms around his neck as he holds onto my hips, letting out a laugh as we dance.

I turn around in his arms, moving my hips against him to the beat of the music. His hands move from my hips to slide up to my stomach. And that's when our harsh reality hits me again.

I panic and step away from him.

"What's wrong, babe?" He asks, concerned, as he reaches for my hand. I pull my hand away and run my fingers through my hair.

"I just... I need some air." I manage to choke out as tears fill my eyes quickly.

I maneuver my way through the crowd and walk out the back door. I take a deep breath as the cold air hits me, finally feeling like I can breathe again.

I lean against the wall, closing my eyes as tears fall from my eyes.

How could this happen? We're always so careful.

The back door opens and I hear their footsteps approaching me, no doubt it's FP. Two arms wrap around me almost instantly and I relax a little into his arms.

"What's going on, Al?" He asks calmly, but I can hear how worried he is.

"Everything."

"Tell me."

"You won't like what I have to say." I say as I push away from him, stepping back.

"Are you breaking up with me or something?"

"No! God no."

"Well Christ, Alice! How am I supposed to know? You're scaring me. You've been acting weird since I picked you up and you won't tell me what's bothering you."

"I'm terrified too! I'm terrified that when I tell you you're going to leave me!"

"Hey," he takes a step closer to me. "nothing you tell me could make me love you any less or leave you."

"I... I'm-" I trail off, not knowing the best way to tell him.

He reaches out and takes my hand in his, something about it instantly calms me.

"What is it, Alice?"

"I'm pregnant, FP." I blurt out, his head snaps up and he looks me in the eyes.

"You are?" He asks in disbelief.

I nod and look down as tears fall down my cheeks. He places his finger underneath my chin and tilts my head up to look at him. I refuse to look at him, scared to see whatever he's feeling.

"Alice, look at me." He says and I slowly look up at him. "I'm not going to leave you, and I'm not going to stop loving you. Was this ideal? No. Was this planned? No. But that's not going to change how I feel about you. Okay? I love you... and I love our baby."

I smile at him through my tears. "Our baby."

He wipes my tears away and places his hands on my cheeks. "I love you so much, Alice."

I press my lips to his, "I love you, FP."

He smiles against my lips and turns us so my back is against the wall of the Whyte Wyrm. I kiss him deeply, making up for the short kiss and the rejected kiss from earlier in the night.

He pulls away and smiles at me. "What's got you smiling so much?" I ask.

His hand moves to my stomach and his smile grows even wider. "I'm going to be a dad, we're going to have a baby!" He says excitedly, I smile at him, loving how happy he is.

He wraps his arms around me, hugging me tightly and I wrap my arms around his neck. He lifts me off the ground and spins around. "You're having a baby! You're having our baby!" He says, smiling like a fool.

I kiss him deeply. "You're going to be a great daddy." He smiles and wraps his arms around me tighter.