First Break Up

She is so not in the mood. She just wants to go up to her room, climb into bed and ignore everyone living in her house. She rolls her eyes at the sound of chatting and laughter coming from her dad and Alice and hopes she can make it upstairs without either of them stopping her.

"Hey Jellybelly, how was school?" Her Dad asks. She groans and walks into the kitchen.

"It was stupid. What else is new?" She huffs.

"And how's Jeremy?" Alice innocently asks.

"He's fine. Not like it's anyone's business."

"Take it easy Bean, Alice was just asking a question."

"Whatever."

Alice gives her a quizzing look but changes the subject. "Would you like anything specific for dinner? We were thinking spaghetti but if you have anything in mind we can reconsider."

"Spaghetti's fine. I'm not hungry anyway."

"Not at all?" She shakes her head. "That's a shame, we were hoping to eat as a family, Betty and Jughead have been working so late at school lately we haven't all gotten to eat together in a while."

"Even if I was hungry I wouldn't want to sit and eat with any of you, you're all way too happy and in love and it makes me sick."

"Jellybean, whats gotten into you?" FP demands.

"Nothing, I just don't want to watch you and Alice make eyes at each other at the table."

"We don't make eyes at each other."

"Well you flirt and hold hands and it's just gross, okay? I don't want to see it."

"Sorry Bean, we didn't think it bothered you. You've never mentioned it."

"Yeah well I'm mentioning it now, so stop it. I don't know why everyone just has to flaunt their happy little relationships all over the place, it's sickening." She storms out of the kitchen and up the stairs.

They hear her door slam and Alice turns to him with a confused look on her face. "What was that about?"

"I have no idea, I know the kids give us a hard time about being so lovey dovey but I didn't think it actually bothered her."

"I'm going to go up and check on her." Alice says, heading in the direction of the stairs.

"Fill me in after?"

"Of course." She heads upstairs and knocks softly on Jellybean's door. "Jellybean, honey, it's Alice. Can I come in?"

"Would it matter if I said no?"

"Well yes, I'd respect your privacy if you said no. I just want to make sure you're alright, if you don't want to talk that's okay but I want to know that you're okay."

"Whatever, come in."

She opens the door slowly and walks over to Jellybean's bed, where the girl is curled up holding her pillow. "I'm sorry sweetheart, your dad and I had no idea that us holding hands and stuff made you uncomfortable, if we had of known we wouldn't of done it. We thought you kids just made fun of us jokingly."

"We do. It doesn't bother me." Her voice sounds quiet, more croaky.

Alice's eyebrows knit together. "So why did you say all that stuff downstairs?"

"I was just mad. Jealous too, I guess."

"Of what?"

"You and Dad, how solid your relationship is."

"Have we not been paying you enough attention? Have I been keeping your dad away from you or something?"

"No, no, it's not that it's just..." she sniffles and Alice places her hand on her shoulder. "Jeremy broke up with me. He kisses another girl and dumped me for her."

"Oh honey, I'm so sorry." Alice sighs, she was afraid this day would come eventually, she just hoped it wouldn't. "That's why you were upset, huh? Because your dad and I are kind of flaunting our relationship around?"

"No, I'm glad you guys are happy, I just-"

"You just wish that Jeremy had stayed happy with you and not someone else."

She nods. "Why wasn't I good enough, Allie?"

Alice's heart breaks and she joins the girl on her bed, wrapping her arms around her and pressing a kiss to her head. "Oh baby, you are so good, you're the best person I've ever met." Jellybean turns and cries into Alice's chest. "I hate that he hurt you like this but it's not your fault, you're absolutely perfect in every single way, he's lost a great girl."

"She's better."

"No one is better than you, Jells. You're the best."

She looks up at Alice with tears eyes. "I am?"

"Absolutely. Do you know how happy I was when your dad told me you would be coming to stay with us permanently? I was over the moon. I love you just as much as I love Betty and Polly. You and Jughead are just as much my children as they are."

"I love you, Allie."

"Don't let him make you so sad, baby girl. I know it hurts but if can't see the amazing person he had in you then he's not worth your time. One day you're going to find someone who treats you like a queen and you'll realize that everyone before them was just a thing of the past."

"Is that what happened with you and dad?"

Alice smiles and nods her head. "Your Dad and I went our separate ways for a while and I married Hal, even while married to him I never quite felt like he was my dream guy, I never thought he was the one I was meant to be with. It was always your father, he's my soulmate. My other half, my better half."

"He loves you a whole lot."

"Well that's reassuring," Alice chuckles. "Don't settle for anything, Bean. You're too wonderful to settle for anything less than wonderful."

Jellybean smiles and wraps her arms around, Alice tightly. "I love you."

"I know. I love you more." She presses a kiss to the top of her head. "Now, would it help you feel better if we went for ice cream?"

"Definitely."