Every Other Weekend

Alice knocks on his trailer door at two thirty as planned. It's his weekend to take Chic and he's looking forward to it. He and Alice had been fighting a lot recently and decided to separate for a little while, just until they could work out their issues, not that things seems to be going much better between them. They worked out their own little custody agreement, and it seems to be working well.

He opens the door and instantly sees the smiling face of his son in Alice's arms. "Hey buddy!" FP smiles at the boy, putting out his arms to take the toddler from her. Chic hugs him tight and kisses his cheek. "I missed you daddy!" He tells him and FP's heart breaks a little. He misses being able to spend every waking moment with their son.

"I missed you too, kid." FP says, looking over at Alice who's smiling sadly at the two of them. "Did you have fun with mommy?"

Chic nods excitedly. "We went to the park and we visited Uncle Fred and Aunt Hermy!" Chic tells him all about his past few days with Alice and FP can't help but smile as he recounts it all.

"Well I'd say you're a very lucky boy." Chic nods and then squirms in FP's arms. "Can I go play with my toys?" FP nods and sets him down, both he and Alice smiling as the tot runs into the living area of the trailer to find some of his toys.

He turns to Alice and it's an awkward silence between the two of them. "Here's his bag, I just packed some extra clothes and toys and stuff in there, just in case you need them."

"Thanks, Al." He says as he takes the bag from her.

"Well I better get going, I have a meeting at three."

"Chic! Come say bye to mommy." FP calls for the boy, smiling when he hears the small footsteps beating through the trailer.

The boy comes into view and throws his arms around Alice legs, it's as high as he can reach from his height so she kneels down to hug him properly, kissing his cheek before standing back up. "I love you mommy." Chic tells her as he wraps his arms around one of FP's legs.

"I love you too, honey." She smiles. "Have fun with daddy!"

"See you later, Al." FP says as he watches Alice walk back to her car and drive away.

That night at dinner Chic doesn't eat much but FP just assumes he had a big lunch with Alice. The boy also looks pale but he doesn't think much of it since, like Alice, he's always had a paler complexion.

Chic falls asleep beside him only ten minutes into his favourite movie, Toy Story and FP just thinks that he's tired from playing all day. After all, they've been playing with his toys since Alice dropped him off, he's bound to be a little tired.

It's not until Chic comes into his bedroom at three A.M telling him he doesn't feel good that FP realizes something might be wrong.

He hears the small footsteps creak across the trailer floor and then feels the weight of the two year old as he pulls himself up into the bed beside him.

"Everything okay buddy?" FP asks his son as the boy lays beside him.

He shakes his head. "My belly hurts."

"Your belly hurts?" FP questions. "Are you hungry? Do you want a snack? You didn't eat much at dinner." Chic shakes his head no again and FP raises his hand to touch the boy's forehead, feeling how hot it is.