Smiling Boy [Royality] (Highschool AU)

For rolling girls, it's always the same... dreaming dreams that'll never come true...

There's a boy in Roman's Creative Writing class who is happy everywhere else but here. He's smiling brightly and he acts cheerfully then he walks in here, puts in his earbuds, and stares out the window until given the writing prompt. It's almost like he's wearing a mask everywhere else but here, as if everywhere else he's seen him was an act. He's so believable Roman was astounded when he denied he ever did any theater in his life! One time the teacher asked the class to write a poem or song about someone in the class, somebody they didn't know. It was an excessive of ability to create character. Roman wrote an epic poem called 'smiling boy' and he's never really seen Patton as the cheery boy since.

The smiling boy is dreaming all the day of things he knows are far, far away. Keeping in all the voices in his head. They're eating him away, hear them eating him away?  

Patton wore his happy face, hiding his wrists with an abundance of bracelets. He grins in front of those he loves, 'specially the ones he knows will be affected if he's sad, and pretends to be okay. Patton is not okay. His parents broke up again. His step siblings all hate him and bully him. Everybody secretly hates him. He hears names about him being thrown across the school. But are they really there? Or are they his own thoughts bullying him non stop?

"I'm just fine." he says, breathing out a sigh. You know those words are gone with the wind.

"Woah, the amazing Roman wants to talk to me? Whatcha need?"

Patron grins his best at the popular kid. Star on the Varsity Baseball team and lead role in the school's play for UIL, Roman had to be the most well known kid. He had power, good looks, and popularity. Roman was holding a flyer in his hands, smiling. Patton had to keep his smile up. He couldn't let the most amazing kid in this school know that he wasn't alright. That would only lead to more bullying, more hurt, and more names. Freak! Slut! Cripple! Homo! Homo! Homo! He tried to push back the dark whispers and listen to what Roman had to say.

"I've noticed how amazingly upbeat you are and I was wondering if you were interested in any last minute auditions? I'd love to have you on our cast, even if you're doing lighting or props!"

Roman was counting on Patton, wasn't he? He doesn't ask favors of just anyone. But why? Why would Roman want someone as useless as Patton on his cast? He'd screw something up he knew it. He didn't want to let Roman down, so he kept on smiling and took the flyer. Man, his cheeks were hurting. He wanted to go home and cry in his room again for the... uh... was it seventeenth or seventieth? One of the two. Seventeenth or seventieth night in a row. Roman deserves a reply, so he tried his best to use his remaining energy to sound excited.

"I'm no good actor, but I can do my best for tech theater! Just for you!"

No matter what "I'm fine" and such. So watch me climb the hill that I know I'll always fall from. Guess I'll just smile again.

Patton was working on the assignment for Creative Writing. He went overboard and didn't get to edit nor revise and asked to do it at home. The teacher agreed, but his mom was out with her new boyfriend, who hated Patton, so Patton cried himself to sleep at six o'clock. He was sitting in the cafeteria during lunch, all on his own because his friends went to the band room to practice during lunch, trying to figure out how to finish the story without sounding like the most dorky thing ever.

"Hey Pat, whatcha doin?"

Patton looked up. Roman again? Why would someone so popular, athletic, and amazing hang out with a measly little band kid like Patton? He's been popping up in his life more and more often recently. It was starting to make Patton feel conflicted inside. Did Roman pity him or did he genuinely want to be his friend? Then again, why would anyone want to be Patton's friend? It had to be the first answer. Even so, Patton had to keep up his facade and smile brightly enough that people can compare him to the sun.