Grey [LAMP] (Modern AU)

Trigger Warning: Explicit Depression

STORYTIME!

Patton was only six when he met Roman. Roman as the new neighbor moving in next door. He always smiled and his family was the first to welcome him into the neighborhood. Roman was older than him, but Patton didnt know exactly how old. Even so, the two always played together. Roman one day called him Cheeky, because he always had that cheeky grin on his face. The nickname stuck and everyone he cared about started calling him Cheeky.

Patton was fourteen years old when Virgil moved into the block. He and Roman were always at odds, but Virgil preferred Patton to Roman. Virgil was Roman's age, both of them older than Patton. Even so, Patton didn't mind. One time when Virgil was calming down after a threatened panic attack, he remarked on how Patton was always smiling and loving like a dad, if he had one. So he started calling him Pops. Or any other name for Dad. It stuck, and he was now known as Dad.

Patton met Logan the following year. Logan was calm and collected, as well as reserved. Patton introduced himself to him and instantly became friends with him. Patton had Logan integrated into his friend group. He and Roman were at odds, but Virgil admired him. He was younger than the two, but still older than Patton. Patton was still the runt of the litter. Logan had asked about his nicknames and offered a new one: Sunflower. Many had recognized his as Sunflower.

Cheeky. Dad. Sunflower. All sorts of names that he responded to. But what did the names show? Well, they have shown that his friends knew him better than he knew himself. Patton would have never described himself as Cheeky. He finds himself away from trouble often and wouldn't dare to say he's bold. Patton would have never called himself Fatherly in any aspect. He isn't responsible nor does he deserve that sort of family. Patton would never call himself a Sunflower. Sunflowers are pretty, he isn't.

Patton sighed, watching out the window of his bedroom. He was feeling depressed again. He didn't want to be depressed, but he simply was. Patton has Depression. He just also happens to be a better actor than anyone else would have recognized. Patton took off his glasses, letting his hair fall over his eyes. The world became a blur of bright blue, green, and yellow. Or, that's what laid outside of his window. It's so beautiful. The colors are so beautiful. So why did he feel.... grey?

Patton noticed that his mom's cat had walked in through the door. Patton was allergic to cats, but he never told his moms when they adopted him. They're so nice and love their cats and he also didn't want to lose his home with two wonderful women. So he just secretly bought allergy medication and kept it in his room. He loves cats and doesn't care. It's a shame that what cures his depression, even momentarily, hurts him afterwards.

The old Calico: Cleffa jumped onto the windowsill next to Patton, the blur of orange, black, and white rubbing against him affectionately. Patton held his breath and stroked the cat. He fought back his watery eyes. The price he had to pay. Patton let the cat rub against his head. The cat began to purr, about to lay down. Oh no. Before that disaster happens Patton better take his allergy meds. Thinking more on it, he hadn't taken his depression meds either.... 

He doesn't need them. Patton got up, patting Cleffa's Head before placing his glasses back on and walking to the bathroom. After swallowing the two large pills with one of his mouthwash cups full of tap water that turns the freaking frogs gay, he walked back in the room. Cleffa has completely stolen his spot, hogging the entire windowsill. Patton shrugged it off, taking it a little bit too much to heart. However, before he could think too much on it he got a little ring of a notification from his phone. Oh, hello? Two more? He took it out of his pocket to see what was going on.

Logan: Just a Reminder that we, as a collective, have plans to go to Patton's house tonight for our weekend nighttime ritual?

Roman: Ugh, when you say it like that it sounds super creepy. Just say we're having a sleepover for crying out loud!