I'm Still Here [Patcani] (Modern AU)

Warning: Very Sad. But it gets better at the end.

Storytime.

His happiest client had started getting worse and worse. Therapy sessions have often been cut short. His warm, cheery smile that Emile had fallen in love woth was becoming hidden. His heart was breaking and he refused to share it with his therapist. He refused to share it with his best friend. Emile watched as his best friend was slowly withering away, and he never knew the reason why. He watched as he gained an engagement ring on his left hand and how his smiles have grown faker and colder by the eyes. He wasn't a human. He was a shell of someone pretending to be who they used to be. No a,tier how hard Emile tried, he couldn't get him to open up.

"Patton, you know I'm here for you if you wanna talk. Right? We're still best friends.... right?"

"Yeah! Of course we are! Pinkie promise!" 

"Only if you promise me you'll come to me if you ever need to talk or ever need anything. I love you Patton."

"Okay. Pinkie Promise!"

The sacred promise made by linking their pinkies together and squeezing as if they were holding hands. Patton smiled genuinely for him, and it's sad to know that's the most recent real smile the man has wore. And he is always smiling. Emile never knew what was going on. He always assumed it was something internal or something with family. The day he got Patton's wedding invitation was a blow to the mind. Patton had never once mentioned his engagement. He just put on a ring and that's it. He never talked about his partner. The wedding invitation read Patton and a man named Ich Luge. Emile had never heard such a name. Maybe it was from some sort of European country?

"Patton, you're getting married? I'm so happy for you!"

"I know! There's going to be cake and He's already told me to wear a white tuxedo. I'd prefer black but hey, I don't mind! I'm going to invite everyone!"

"I hope you're happy with him."

"I am. He tells me he loves me and I depend on him. I'm going to be gettin married to him..."

Emile couldn't shake his thoughts, but something seemed wrong. It seemed so artificial. However, Patton seemed excited. His big day! Finally getting married to the man of his dreams! He should be excited for him! So he was. And he attended the wedding. And he watched Patron in his white tuxedo match his husband, who definitely was a strong built man from some northern country. They said their vows. They kissed. And they became a married couple. Emile couldn't help but watch Patton look out I need the crowd when the priest asked if anyone wanted to object. He almost looked like he was begging for someone to say something. Emile almost did, but he didn't want to ruin anything for Patton.

"Hey, Emile? We need to talk."

"Of course! What do you want to talk to me about? It can be anything! And know that I'll always be for you no matter what. I love you!"

"That's just it... my husband doesn't want me talking to you anymore."

"What?"

"He wants me to move with him somewhere in Canada. He doesn't want me to talk to you or keep in touch at all. So this is me saying goodbye."

"He can't forbid you from talking to me. You have the right to talk with whoever you want! Unless... you don't want to talk to me?"

"No! Emile, I'd never willingly do this! It's just... when he gets mad at me it's scary. I don't want that. So... this is goodbye."

"Patton..."

"Goodbye, best friend."

That was the day Emile lost his very best friend for the longest time. Patton moved up to Canada and Emile went through a panic. He tried every way to contact Patton and his husband, but no calls received. He talked to Patton's immediate family and any contacts in Canada. No sign. Emile had lost Patton for seven years. He got into a state of depression and for the first year his therapy office had been closed. How could he help others when he couldn't even help himself? Seven long years... he could only get through it all with the help of Elliott, Larry, and Dot. Three friends and ex-patients of his.

It was only after the seven years leading up to this day did Emile figure out his own heart. He was in love with Patton. He missed him so much. He loved him in a romantic way. It wasn't onlt after accepting this fact and trying to move on did he reopen his office and put cartoon therapy back in session. For seven years his crush had still remained, and he had been battling his depression. Today there was a knock on his office door. Tears instantly strolled down his cheeks when he saw Patton In the doorway. He was bloody, pulpy, and bruised. He was so skinny, pale, and fragile. Emile could see his ribs and skull through his skin, but he still wore that fake smile.

"I'm back... I hope you didn't miss me too much."

"Patton! What happened to you?! I knew I shouldn't have let you go! I'm so sorry. What happened?!"

Emile brought him into a big embrace, wiping away Patton's tears. He was so overwhelmed by his own emotions he didn't know what to do with himself. Love, worry, fright, anger.... what is he supposed to do with all this? Patton weakly hugged him back, hoarsely telling him the tragic tale of his abusive marriage.

"He... he's been awful. Always hurting me. He hurt my feelings. He hurt my body. I told him I wanted a divorce after so long. That I wanted to come back home to Florida. He pulled out a knife. I was so scared Emile... I'm so scared... I got on a plane and came home as soon as I could. It was awful."

Patton didn't deserve that. Patton was too sweet. It physically pained Emile to see his best friend like this. Emile held the shaking man and entwined their pinkies. A sacred promise that they'll always be here for the other no matter what. This is not breaking that promise.

"I'm still here, Pat. I always will be. You don't have to deal with Ich Luge any more. You're home. You got me. You got your family and friends. Everything is going to be okay."

He tightened his pinkie around mine.

"Yeah. Everything is going to be okay."

I brought him back to his parents. We made sure he was fed. We learned that his husband wouldn't let him eat unless he 'earned it' by giving him some sort of payment and caused him to develop anorexia. Emile was holding Patton's hand right through his recovery from that horrible, awful man. It's been a year since Patton returned home. The fireflies are twinkling and it's a lovely night. The moon is full and the air is humid. The two of them are alone on the beach. Just enjoying the view. Patton's head rests on Emile's shoulder. For some reason, Emile feels like his throat is caving in on itself. He wants to cry. But instead, he asks a simple question.

"Patton, would you ever want to give Love another try? If you knew the man was going to treat you like you're the angel you are?"

A gentle squeeze on his hand. 

"Only if I knew the man was you."

A single tear falls down Emile's cheek. A smile sweeps over his face. Neither man look away from them the sky. Emile's heart is racing a million miles per hour.

"Then would you like to try again with me?"

Their pinkies entwine together.

"Yes."

1280 Words

If you are in any sort of abusive relationship: Parental, Romantic, Platonic, ANY kind of abusive relationship you need to go. Someone hits you on purpose/often? Pack your bags and leave a bitch. Someone constantly calls you horrible things? Run away. Leave them. They don't deserve you! You are too pretty and too special and too lovely to be absused. Leave any kind of toxic relationship. You deserve better.

~Eva