Moving

8/10
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Riley and Maya started at each other from a few feet away, both of them gripping each other's hand tightly. Neither one of them saying anything, neither one of them wanting to say anything. They didn't want this moment to end.

"Why did you bring me here?" Maya asked, her voice cracking a little. Riley gave her a very watery smile, bushed tears on the brim of her eyelids.

"Because this is where it all started, Maya. And I wanted us to have one last moment together before it ends." Riley told her. Maya sniffled as she brought her hand up to wipe some of the tears that had threatened to fall.

"So this is really it, huh? I mean this is goodbye." Maya told her.

"Well not forever. We'll still see each other, but not very often." Riley stated as she frowned and looked at the ground.

"You still want to go through with it?" Maya asked her. Riley smiled as she looked down at the newly set of rings that had been placed on her left hand. She smiled and nodded.

"Yeah. I love him. I'd go anywhere with him." Riley told her. "What about you? You still want to go through with it?" Riley asked her.

Maya smiled as she rested a hand on her small bump that had just started to show this past week. In her other hand was some paperwork that had her new home address written on it... in California.

"Yeah." Maya answered. "I love him, God knows I'd go anywhere with him." She repeated Riley's answer back to her. Riley smiled at her and squeezed her hand as a few tears slipped down her face.

"Promise me that no matter what, we'll still be best friends?" Riley asked her. Maya chuckled through her tears.

"Of course we will. I mean, we're family now. Not just best friends. We'll always be in each other's lives." Maya told her. Riley let out a small sob and launched herself over in her best friends arms, who held her tight as she squeezed her eyes shut, trying to keep it together.

A knock on the door interrupted them. Maya and Riley hesitated before breaking apart and looking over to the doorway of the old childhood bedroom.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but the moving van has already left and we're going to miss our flight." Lucas said as he poked his head in.

Riley nodded her head as she and Maya both stood up from the bay window in Riley's old room and stared at each other. They launched themselves together and hugged tightly again. As they broke away, Riley held out her hand.

"Thunder." She stated. Maya smiled and sniffled again before placing her hand in Riley's.

"Lightning." She breathed out.

They both turned to Lucas and Maya narrowed her eyes at him.

"You better take care of her, because I'm not above hopping on a plane just to come all the way down to Texas and kick your Texas cowboy ass." Maya threatened him. Lucas laughed lightly before he held his arms out and pulled Maya into a hug.

"I'm going to miss you, too, Maya." He told her. Maya relaxed and smiled slightly as she hugged him back. Also going to miss one of her best friends.

She pulled away from them, and Riley gave Maya one more last hug before she and Lucas headed out of the room and down the hall. Maya sighed as she crossed her arms over her chest and looked around the empty room.

It hadn't been as hard to leave it at first when her and Riley had moved out to college. And of course their first apartment together. But that was just because they could always come back if they needed to. The bay window wasn't always gone.

But now, they both were moving on to different chapters in their lives, different states. They had different lives to lead, both starting their own families. It was overwhelming.

"Hey," Maya turned to see her husband standing in the doorway. She smiled at him as he came to stand next to her. "You okay?" He asked. Maya nodded.

"Yeah, it's just- I've never been without Riley before. There's never been a day since I was ten years old that we haven't seen each other. Everything's changing. I don't know if I like that." She told him honestly.

Josh wrapped his arms around Maya from behind and leaned down to kiss her on the head.

"New York will always be home." He told her. "And you and Riley will always be best friends. There are just some things in the universe you can't change." He told her. Maya nodded.

"I know. I just wish we didn't have to live so far away from each other." Maya told him.

"I know." Josh told her. And he did. He was also having a hard time moving all the way across the states with his whole family being here in New York. But his job required it, and Maya knew she would have a better job with her art studio in California than she would here in New York.

Josh and Maya both knew deep down in their hearts that this was the eight decision for the both of them. Just like Riley and Lucas moving to Texas was the best decision for them them as well. It just didn't soften the blow anymore than they would have liked it to.

"I hate to rush this. But our plane leaves in a couple of hours, and if you want to say goodbye to your mom and Shawn, then we should really get a move on it." Josh told her softly.

Maya nodded her head as she turned around in his arms and wrapped her arms around his middle. She leaned her head on his chest and hugged him tightly for a moment. Josh held her just as tight as he too, allowed himself to look around the old bedroom. Smiling at some memories that came back.

"Farkle, Zay and Smackle are going to meet us at the airport to say goodbye. So are your parents." Maya told him. Josh nodded as they broke away and leaned down to give her a small kiss.

"We'll be okay, Maya." He told her. Maya nodded as she kissed him one more time and placed a hand on her growing bump.

"I know we will." She stated. Josh smiled and grabbed her hand, squeezing it before he let it go and walked out of the room.

Maya followed him to the doorway, stopped for a moment and turned back around. She looked around the empty room and set her eyes on the bay window.

"I'm Maya. What's your name?"

"You can't just go breaking into other peoples homes!"

"I didn't break in, your window was open!"

"But that's- that's beside the point!"

"So what's your name?"

"I'm Riley."

"Hi Riley. Want to be best friends?"

"Well, okay. But no breaking into people's homes!"

Maya smiled at the conversation they had so long ago, but it only felt like it was yesterday. She gave one more sigh before closing the door slowly, and walking down the hallway where Josh was waiting on her.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for reading. Hope you enjoyed!