Blessing

Joshua Matthews never considered himself a very "traditional" man. In fact, alot of those old theories he considered to be outdated. But he was, after all, a man. He never really understood the bond that a daughter could have with their father until he saw it up close.

First it was with Riley. Riley and Cory had the type of relationship that any father would crave to have with their teenage daughter. Although Josh had to admit that when he heard Lucas had gone up to Cory to ask his permission to date Riley, he laughed. Lucas didn't need Cory's permission, and neither did Riley.

When he and Maya had started dating it had just felt natural. Sure, their families approval mean a great deal to them, but it didn't matter. They didn't need it. It's not like if they hadn't approved, Josh would have broke up with Maya then and there. They belonged together, there wasn't a lot he was sure of, but that he knew.

Over the years as Josh had thought about marriage and Maya, never had the thought of 'asking her father' for permission. The thought had never really crossed his mind considering her father wasn't even around. He did think briefly of Katy, and the fact that her and Maya's relationship had gotten even better since Shawn came into the picture. But from the moment he and Maya had announced they were dating, Katy had been ecstatic. She had always said that it just seemed natural that a Hunter and a Matthews would end up together.

But even with all that, Josh wasn't sure what gave him the idea. Or even why he felt like he needed to do it. Maya had told him countless of times that old traditions didn't matter to her, and they even joined in together in giving Lucas a hard time on how old fashioned he was. He knew that these things didn't matter to Maya, or really to him.

Though the relationship between Maya and Shawn had become so close, unbreakable even. Josh knew it was because Shawn had filled that void incredibly that Maya had inside when it came to being a father. And Shawn had always been jealous of the way Cory and Riley were. They filled each other in the best of ways. And he noticed the way Maya would talk about things in front of Shawn, go to him for advise. She was always seeking out his approval of her life choices, even if she wouldn't admit it out loud.

Josh had known Shawn his entire life. He had always been in and out, moving around a lot for his on the road job. But there had only ever been two people in his life that Josh had looked up to. Cory and Shawn. They had been more than big brothers to him, they had been mentors. And there wasn't one decision that he made in his life that he didn't want them to approve of.

Well, he already knew what Cory would say. And he was that if this was any other girl, Shawn would have probably already encouraged him to pop the question. But this wasn't just any other girl. This was Maya. She was easily the gleam that sparkled in Shawn's eyes. He needed to do this right.

The trick was doing this in a way where Maya wouldn't find out about it. He couldn't just send a random text to Shawn and ask him to meet up for lunch one afternoon. That would cause too much suspicion. And he wouldn't past Shawn to mention it to the blond beauty that had stolen his heart.

Even though Josh and Shawn had a great relationship, it wasn't usual for Josh to just randomly ask Shawn to meet him somewhere. So instead he decided to make a trip out to Philadelphia, where he knew Shawn would be working on a project out there. Maya was under the impression that he was just going to visit his parents for the weekend, which he was. So it wasn't technically a lie. Besides, he was sure once she realized what was happening she wouldn't be too upset.

The best part of all this was Josh knew he wouldn't have to seek Shawn out this weekend. There wasn't a time where Shawn was in Philadelphia that he didn't stop to visit the Matthews and Mr. Feeny. So all Josh had to do was wait for Shawn to come to him.