Empty Bed

Hey everyone! Hope you guys enjoy this next chapter!
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The wind coming from the open window and rustling the curtains is what caused Maya to wake up, her body shivering from then cold wind. She blinked a few times and looked over at her clock and saw that it was four in the morning, just a couple of hours short of when it was time for her to wake up.

She groaned and rolled over onto her side, reaching out for her husband, hoping to snuggle into him since his body was always so warm. But her hand came up empty as it fell onto the sheets instead of his chest.

Maya opened her eyes again and leaned up on her elbow to look, the sheets were cold, meaning that Josh had been put of bed for a while. She looked over and saw that their bathroom light was off and the door was still wide open, meaning he wasn't in there.

Maya rubbed her tired eyes with her hands and pushed the covers off her body. She shivered as she was met with the coldness of the air. She got out of bed and walked over to where the window was, shutting it firmly and locking it so the cold air couldn't get it anymore.

Maya walked across the room and opened their bedroom door, peeking her head out to the hallway. There was a slight gleam of light that came just from down the stairs, meaning that Josh was most likely in the kitchen.

Walking back and grabbing her robe, Maya pulled it over her so she wouldn't be as cold in the house. She walked down the hallway and down the stairs, only stopping when she reached the doorway of the kitchen and saw Josh sitting on the barstool in front of the counter. His face was in his hands and he had a cup of warm milk in front of him.

Maya furrowed her eyebrows, it was his day off today, he was supposed to be sleeping in. She walked into the kitchen and laid a hand on his shoulder. He didn't react, instead he kept his position, although Maya felt his shoulders relax slightly from her touch.

So she stepped forward and wrapped both her arms around his middle. Kissing his clothed shoulder lightly through his t-shirt before replacing her lips with her chin.

"What's up?" She asked him through her raspy voice that told him she just woke up. Josh sighed, and without moving he brought one hand down from his face to where her hand was on his stomach and held it.

"I just have a lot on my mind." His tone was wavering, Maya could feel the hurt and sorrow in it. It made her heart clench as she moved her head to kiss his neck lightly and then bringing her free hand up to run through his hair.

"Feel like talking about it?" She asked him. But Josh shook his head, keeping a weak grip on Maya's hand, letting her know that he didn't want to talk, but he wasn't ready for her to leave him either.

Maya understood that feeling, she felt that feeling for most of her life as a kid. So she understood that what Josh needed right now was comforting and a shoulder, not advice.

She suddenly felt his shoulders shake slightly, and she could hear the heavy breathing as his chest heaved up and down. His hand came off of hers and went back to its position on his face. Maya tightened her grip around his middle, and then brought her other arm to wrap around his neck and come across the front of his shoulders, trying to comfort him the best she could from the position she was in.

His back was pressed against her chest, and her face to lay on his shoulder as he shook with silent sobs. Eventually one of her hands found it on his back, where she rubbed up and down to try and help sooth him. Just letting him cry it out in her arms until he gave any further indication that he needed more.

Joshua Matthews was not a very emotional person. He was happy, he liked to joke and tease and mess around. He didn't let things get to him very easily. But just last week, he had to do one of the hardest things that anyone had to do in their life. He had to bury his dad.

Alan had gotten sick over the last year and was diagnosed with cancer. He had fought hard, but eventually lost. The Matthews had a big funeral for him a week ago, and finally put him to rest. But the grief and the pain was all too fresh. This hadn't been the first time that Maya had caught Josh crying by himself. Too noble and sweet to wake her up when he needed comforting late at night.

"Josh." Maya whispered quietly in his ear. She could still feel his shoulders shaking. "Come with me." She told him. She let her arms up wrap from his frame, sliding her hands across his chest and back as she went. Josh lifted his face from his hands and turned to face her. His eyes were red and blotchy, and his cheeks wet from the fresh tears.

Maya grabbed his hand and pulled him off the stool, Josh didn't put up a fight as he followed Maya, the glass of milk being left behind on the counter. Maya stopped to turn off the light, letting the moonlight from the windows guide them up the stairs, down the hall and back into their room.

Maya let go of Josh's hand so she could shut the door and take her robe off, placing back on the end of the bed where it usually sat. Josh wiped his face with the lower part of his shirt as he brought it up to his eyes.

Maya walked over and grabbed his hand again, pulling him on the bed with her. They both settled down and pulled the covers over top to them, Maya shivering from the cold that was still in the air.

Josh laid his head on her shoulder, wrapping his arms around her and bringing her close to his body. Maya ran a hand through his hair, knowing that calmed him down.

"Maya, I'm-"

"Shh." Maya cut him off, knowing that he was just going to apologize for waking her up in the middle of the night on a day that she had to work. But she didn't care. She would do anything for this man. "I'm not going to let you go through this alone, Josh." She whispered.

Josh didn't say anything, but Maya knew he heard her. And not another word was said as they both ended up falling asleep again, taking everything one day at a time.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for reading everyone! Hope you guys enjoyed! Until next time!!