Christmas miracles

Christmas Shopping. Was there ever a more exciting, and yet, stressful time of year? No, there wasn't. Maya huffed as she plopped all her and Riley's shopping bags down on one of the couches at Topanga's Cafe as her best friend went around all smiley and excited as she announced to the whole cafe that she had finished all her Christmas shopping.

She stood in the middle and twirled around in her Christmas sweater, a Santa hat on her head as she expressed her joy for the holiday season... in October.

That's right. Not even in November. They weren't even two weeks into what some people would call "spooky month." This year Riley decided that she would skip out on Halloween, and even Thanksgiving, and go straight to the holiday cheer. Which is why they were getting so many glares from people around the cafe.

"I think they get it. You're a lunatic with cheer. Enough already." Maya told her best friend as she gripped her by the arm and pulled her back. "Remind me again why we have to do this so early?"

"Because, Maya. It's been a difficult year for everyone and I think that getting the season started early will help bring some happiness back." Riley told her as she started taking out the wrapping paper, tape and scissors she had found at Hobby Lobby, since that was the only store that actually had Christmas stuff out at the moment.

"Do we have to start wrapping gifts here?" Maya asked as she watched everyone around them give them dirty looks. "Can't we go back to your house and do it? Or even better, go find a cave and bury ourselves until December first."

"Come on, Maya. I don't care what other people think and neither should you." She grabbed the elf ears headband she had bought earlier and held it out to her best friend. Maya shook her head, Riley nodded and kept them held out. With a pout, Maya grabbed the head band and placed it over her head before plopping down on the seat beside Riley.

She was right about one thing. It had been a rough year for everyone. In the beginning of January, Allan had a heart attack while on a camping trip with Josh. It had been one of the scariest moments for the family. Thankfully they weren't too far away from the land of cell service and Josh was able to get a call into 911. Allan was rushed to the hospital where they had admitted him.

It was three weeks of non stop going from New York to Philadelphia to visit him in the hospital and then in the later months to come when he was allowed to go back home under strict orders to take it easy and rest.

Then in May, Mr. Feeney had passed away unexpectedly. He had died in his sleep peacefully and Amy was the one to find him the next morning when she had gone over to check on him.

The funeral was hard to get through, and there was many tears in the Matthew's household every day for weeks. Even in Maya's own home, she could hear Shawn crying at night with Katy in their room.

Then just last month in September, Allan had made the decision to sell the family store without telling anyone about it. The boys were all livid when he explained that he was getting too old to handle it on his own and he wasn't going to pass it down to either of them since they all had their own lives.

It had definitely been a stressful and frustrating year. But it had done wonders for Maya and Josh's relationship.

The night after his father had his heart attack, Josh showed up at their doorstep while Shawn, Katy and all the Matthew's had gone to Philadelphia to go to the hospital. Maya had volunteered to stay with Logan, her baby brother, since he was too little to be in a hospital right now.

Once she had opened the door, neither of them even said anything as he fell into her arms and started sobbing. And she just held him. There was nothing else she could do but hold him. She wasn't good with words, not like he was. She couldn't comfort him the way that he could comfort people. So instead she just let him cry.