Proposal

New Year had always been a special holiday in the Matthews household. Where New Year resolutions and the 'New Year New Me' sayings were old and cliche to other people, to the Matthews it was law. There had never been anyone else more serious about making New Year resolutions than Riley Matthews, except for maybe her father.

It had become tradition that every year the friend group would write down on a note card what their resolutions were and then put them in a box that would be kept on the top shelf of Riley's closet all year. Then the next New Year's Eve, they would get the box down and open it and share what their resolutions were and if they had come true.

Everyone found it to be a silly thing to do, but it made Riley happy. And whatever made Riley happy, made them happy. So they did it. However this year their little group had seemed to expand. Though nobody else had done the in the box resolutions like the friend group did, everyone was more than happy to share what their resolution had been for they year.

Katy talked about how she wished for a baby. Which she had Shawn had gotten pregnant over the summer and was due in April of that next year. Shawn talked about how he had hoped for more time with the family. In which he had been able to hire someone else to go on jobs to take pictures and he'd been able to spend more weekends at home. Cory had wished for more time with Shawn, and Topanga had said that she wished for everyone to stay as happy as they had been.

"What about you uncle Josh?" Riley asked from her seat on the couch. Josh and Maya had been standing because of the lack of seating in the apartment, both of them leaning against the back of the couch with their hands entwined.

"Oh, mine didn't come true." He stated with a nonchalant shrug. Maya gave him a teasing frown in which he bumped her shoulder with his and she grinned at him.

She and Riley were seniors in college now. Josh had already graduated and had his own apartment in the city. He was working in the same law firm as Topanga and was thriving in the free time he got to spend over at the Matthews working on cases with her.

Maya had showcased her art in a few exhibits and had been able to gather a fan base. She was planning on opening her own art studio after she graduated and taking on small jobs for people who requested. At first she didn't think it was something she could make a living off of, until she realized just how much money people were talking about buying her art with. And they said that was starting out. Maya had never heard such a big number with the words staring out behind them.

Riley had decided to follow in the family footsteps and become a teacher. She had already been interning as a substitute in the elementary school in the city, but Maya had a feeling she would be making her way to high school soon enough.

"The ball's about to drop. We should make our way up to the roof." Riley told them. And the group all started to get up off the couch and the floor and make their way outside the apartment.

It was strange how this seemed to be the place everyone still went to. Riley and Maya had both moved out and into their own apartment a year ago, they could have easily had their New Year's party over there. But somehow coming into Cory and Topanga's just made more sense.

Plus the view from the roof was so much better than the view at their place. And you could see then all drop from a distance if you looked close enough.

"Sorry about you're new year tradition." Maya spoke quietly as she and Josh walked up the stairs to the roof, their hands still clasped together. "I know how you Matthews are about breaking goals." She teased.

"Oh I don't know, I'm kind of hoping that it can still come true." He told her with a small smile. She raised an eyebrow.

"Oh? Well then you better get a move on it, you only have about ten more minutes." She joked.