Birthday's

Hey everyone! Thanks so much for reading, commenting and following along with this book. I hope you guys enjoy this next chapter!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Maya Hunter never liked making a huge deal out of her birthday's. She never saw the point. Birthday parties were for people who celebrated the happiness of being alive. And well, Maya would be lying if she said that she was jumping for joy every time she woke up in the morning.

Now she had a good life, she will admit. She had gained a step dad, she and her mom were rock solid as far as their relationship went, she had incredible friends and an even better best friend. So in a way she could see why she should be happy to be alive, but what was the point? There were so many unanswered questions that Maya had about herself.

But she faked the smiles and gave the hugs to all her friends as she walked into school that day and everyone was wishing her a happy birthday. She celebrated with them as they threw her a big party and celebrated her existence. She knew that her family and friends loved her, but she just couldn't make her love herself.

"My baby girl is eighteen now." Katy smiled as she wrapped her arms around Shawn's waist and smiled at her daughter.

"Feel any different?" Auggie asked her as he looked up from his cake. Maya smiled at him and shrugged her shoulders.

"It's just another day." She told him.

"Come on, Maya. You only turn eighteen once." Riley smiled at her. Maya rolled her eyes and got up from her seat in the living room.

"Thank you all so much for everything. The party was amazing, the gifts are all really nice. It means a lot to me." She told them. And it did, everything that they did for her meant a lot to her. They cared about her, they loved her.

"You're welcome, Maya. You're just as much apart of our family as Shawn is." Topanga smiled at her. Maya leaned in to give her second mother a hug before she cleared her throat.

"I think I'm going to take a walk. Kind of clear my head." She told them. As nice as the party had been, it had also been slightly overwhelming. A lot of the people that had come were kids from her school that she hardly even knew. Just coming because they know its a party and were promised a good time.

"Do you want me to come with you?" Riley asked her. Maya shook her head.

"Nah, I'll be okay." She told her. Maya gave them all one last look before she walked out of the apartment and started walking up to the roof of the building.

Maya loved rooftops. She would find herself more than a couple of times a week going to sit on the rooftop of her apartment building. Although, Riley's had a better view.

Leaning against the edge wall, she took in the sun setting over the city. She closed her eyes and she took in a deep breath and smiled. Maya loved New York. This would always be home to her, this is what made her happy more than anything.

Another birthday had come and gone, and she still existed. She was still there. More times then she could count she had been catching herself thinking about death, about what happens after you die. Where do you go? Do we all just exist and then one day come apart of the earth again? Was this all there really was?

"Thought I'd find you out here." Maya turned at the sound of the new voice and chuckled at the sight of Josh. He was bundled up in a heavy coat and scarf that was protecting him from the bitter cold that January had to offer. "This is where you usually come to get away, isn't it?" He asked her. Maya laughed as she turned back around to her previous position.