Broken

Thanks for reading.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rain pounded on the walls and windows of the house as lighting flashed against the sky. The wind caused noise to come from the shutters as it rattled against the frames.  And as one loud burst of thunder went through, the lights in the house went off.

Maya stopped scrubbing the plate over the sink as she looked up. She sighed and closed the water off, throwing the dish towel down and the half clean plate back in the sink. She wiped the water that had gotten on her forehead away with her wrist.

She could hear the shuffling around upstairs. It wasn't too dark in the house. And the burst of lighting that came through the window gave Maya enough light to be able to see where she had placed her phone on the counter.

She grabbed her phone and turned the flashlight on so she could see in front of her as she made her way to the steps. She slowly made her way up the stairs and into the hallway where the moving around could be heard better.

She stopped right outside the bedroom door and grabbed the handle. Pushing it open slightly and peeking her head through, she could see Josh's shadow move across the room in the darkness.

She opened the door wider and watched him as he lit candles around the room. Not a lot, but enough to give them light. A couple on the dresser, one on the bedside table. One on the tv stand. If this would have been under any other circumstance, Maya would have thought his intentions were romantic. But this wasn't any other circumstance.

"Hey." She whispered softly as she leaned against the doorframe, her arms crossed. She saw Josh freeze for a couple of seconds with his back turned to her, then he started moving again. Slowly this time as he lit the candle that was on the dresser with a match. "Dishes are only half done. The power went out before I could finish." She stated.

He kept his back to her as he opened the top drawer of the dresser and put the matches back in and shut it closed. Maya bit her lip.

"Riley called. Her and Lucas were thinking about taking the weekend to get away. She wanted to know if we could look after Kaylee for them while we're gone. Sort of like practice, you know?" She asked as she unfolded her arms and rested one hand on the flatness of her stomach. Soon enough it wouldn't be flat anymore.

Josh still didn't say anything. He rested both of his hands on the dresser, as if he were bracing himself. His head was leaned down and the muscles in his shoulders and back were tense.

"Did I do something?" Maya asked him. "You've been ignoring me all night and I've been trying to rack my brain of what I could have done to make you angry. Usually I'm pretty good at knowing, but this time I really don't know what I did." She explained. "I want you to tell me, Josh. So I can fix it-" her voice cracked and she cut herself off as Josh abruptly turned around to face her.

She could see the unshed tears in his eyes, the look of complete brokenness on his face. She knew that look, it was the look she carried around for so long until him. He leaned back against the dresser. He seemed so defeated. And with a little shake of his head, Maya knew this had nothing to do with her.

"Then why are you pushing me away?" She whispered as she stepped into the room. Josh ran a hand through his hair as he tried to look everywhere but her.

Maya slowly walked up to him. She grabbed the hand that was still in his hair and brought it down to his side. Her other hand came up to his face and she gently creased his cheek as she moved his head to where he was looking at her. Facing her. Sending him a silent reminder that she was there.